Notices

Suggestions on new spinning reel

Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Brian.in.FL is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Brian
Brian.in.FL's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions on new spinning reel

I'm thinking of a getting a bass setup. Looking for spinning reel around $100. I am looking at a Penn Battle 2000. Any thoughts, suggestions, or testimony? I will most likely get a 2 piece rod to go along with it.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Have heard nothing but good things about the Battles. I'd personally go a size up into the 3k range. I use a Penn Slammer 360 on a 1pc 7ft Falcon m/l rod. It has been a great setup for me, pulled this with it a couple weeks ago

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
cant go wrong with an abu garcia.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
Kirk what did that guy weigh around 5lb????
I'm not sure honestly, I had no scale We were thinking maybe somewhere in the 6-6 1/2 lb range.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i'm currently shopping for an ultralight spinning reel.

i'd call that a 4 lb bass..great looking fish.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i'm currently shopping for an ultralight spinning reel.

i'd call that a 4 lb bass..great looking fish.
Pflueger trion. Been an awesome ultralight! Pulled a 6lb trout in with it last year.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.in.FL View Post
I'm thinking of a getting a bass setup. Looking for spinning reel around $100. I am looking at a Penn Battle 2000. Any thoughts, suggestions, or testimony? I will most likely get a 2 piece rod to go along with it.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Pflueger President. I've only owned the ultralights and just bought one of these (Apprentice combo).

Seems to be a decent reel so far.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
that would be a big ol bass around these parts. been using less expensive quantums for all my fishing. never had an issue.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Just picked up a tiny phlueger president. Can't wait. Thx
Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Boom.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #12
blitz is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
blitz's Tacoma Gallery
How about the new shimano stella 14000sw? Only $1250
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
aahee1111 is on a distinguished road
aahee1111's Tacoma Gallery
Shimano pm me for more information, I do a ton of bass fishing and have 8 different set ups. I have a couple shimano spinning reels, including a stradic CI4 but my buddy just bought a saros, and the reel is awesome. The rest of my reels are all shimano baitcasters
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Air Force:
Only $1250. Just barely out f my range.. Went put to the pier today. Nothing, huess ill have to go out tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Air Force:
Well I got a little side tracked on this. I just ordered a Rainshadow SW 1087. I hope to catch kings, spanish and really anything else out there. It should be ready this week. Now I will have to get a reel for it.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I used a couple pflueger presidents last summer because a buddy had 4-5 of them

we used them on bass and some hefty cats with no issues whatsoever...love those reels

I'm planning on replacing all my reels with them as they wear out/break
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
SuazoYota is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
SuazoYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
cant go wrong with an abu garcia.
x2, get some.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
Joe.erau is on a distinguished road

Joe.erau's Tacoma Gallery
Never liked Penn. Picked up a battle 3000 and landed a 30 inch redfish and numerous trout with it on a medium light calico jack. Very impressed with the combo and will change my mind on penn. Shimano seems to be a default of mine. Never had an issue. And since no one has mentioned it. Wright and McGill makes a sabalos for about 80 bucks. Have 3 of them and they are great at taking salt water abuse.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
I love shimano rods and quantum reels.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Been using only Pflueger for all my set up. No complaints at all. Just wish I had more time to go fishing.