LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Boat opinions

Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Boat opinions

Needing some advice, looking at this boat, the price is right, needs some interior work, but the Fiance' and I are pretty handy. The part that concerns me is that the motor is a 3.0 inline 4, and I feel like this thing would be way underpowered, not only that, but I cant find any Arriva 2050's that came with a 4 banger, so I'm not sure this is the original motor.

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/boa/3774039471.html

Generic comments about boat finances are not appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That's a large boat for that engine.its a carbed engine made by ford.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That's a large boat for that engine.its a carbed engine made by ford.
Idk what the out drive is, but would it be hard to stick a 302 in there if the outdrives match?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Wheels With Moose.
NMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Walt
NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be a mechanic at a boat marina, and spent a lot of time with smaller crafts like this. What brand is the outdrive? If it's a Mercruiser, then the engine is a 3.0L I4 manufactured by GM, netting about 140 hp. The engine is very stout and tough as nails, with a good amount torque. With a correctly pitched prop, the boat would easily cruise at 28-30 MPH, and would likely reach 36-38 if you pushed it.

Also, if it is the Mercruiser outdrive, they used the same outdrive behind 5.0L (305) and 5.7L (350) GM engines, so an engine swap would be feasible, I actually did one a few years ago. 3.0L to 5.7L. Personally, I'd rather jump off a building than spend another second in a nasty fucking boat bilge trying to line up the engine, but that's me.

The other possibility is that's it's a OMC Cobra outdrive, in which case it would probably have the Ford I4, which is also a good motor. However, in my opinion the OMC outdrive is complete shit compared to the Mercruiser, so I'd steer away from it if that's what it's running.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW 4x4 View Post
I used to be a mechanic at a boat marina, and spent a lot of time with smaller crafts like this. What brand is the outdrive? If it's a Mercruiser, then the engine is a 3.0L I4 manufactured by GM, netting about 140 hp. The engine is very stout and tough as nails, with a good amount torque. With a correctly pitched prop, the boat would easily cruise at 28-30 MPH, and would likely reach 36-38 if you pushed it.

Also, if it is the Mercruiser outdrive, they used the same outdrive behind 5.0L (305) and 5.7L (350) GM engines, so an engine swap would be feasible, I actually did one a few years ago. 3.0L to 5.7L. Personally, I'd rather jump off a building than spend another second in a nasty fucking boat bilge trying to line up the engine, but that's me.

The other possibility is that's it's a OMC Cobra outdrive, in which case it would probably have the Ford I4, which is also a good motor. However, in my opinion the OMC outdrive is complete shit compared to the Mercruiser, so I'd steer away from it if that's what it's running.
If it's the original outdrive it is an Alpha 1 and would have had a 5.0 or 5.7 originally. If i put a 302 in, I would have a shop do it for sure. Do you have an estimate of cost to do that? Thanks for your info, you make me feel more confident about that motor!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Wheels With Moose.
NMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
If it's the original outdrive it is an Alpha 1 and would have had a 5.0 or 5.7 originally. If i put a 302 in, I would have a shop do it for sure. Do you have an estimate of cost to do that? Thanks for your info, you make me feel more confident about that motor!
No problem! Since it's the Alpha 1, that means it would have the 3.0L GM currently. I've seen a few 302's with the Alpha 1, but the GM 305 is much more common. IIRC, the bill for that 350 swap was approximately $3800, and that was probably six years ago. A 305 would be almost identical, and I assume a 302 would be about the same, though motor mounts may have to be moved for that.

I'm really a fan of that GM 3.0L, though. I think you'll be impressed how it moves that boat. Remember, the pitch of a prop can greatly influence the boat's characteristics. That I4 will happily cruise at 4,000 RPM, so I'd go for a lower pitched prop for a little more pep out of the water, especially if you plan on towing skiers or a tube.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
No problem! Since it's the Alpha 1, that means it would have the 3.0L GM currently. I've seen a few 302's with the Alpha 1, but the GM 305 is much more common. IIRC, the bill for that 350 swap was approximately $3800, and that was probably six years ago. A 305 would be almost identical, and I assume a 302 would be about the same, though motor mounts may have to be moved for that.

I'm really a fan of that GM 3.0L, though. I think you'll be impressed how it moves that boat. Remember, the pitch of a prop can greatly influence the boat's characteristics. That I4 will happily cruise at 4,000 RPM, so I'd go for a lower pitched prop for a little more pep out of the water, especially if you plan on towing skiers or a tube.
Awesome, thanks the the tips!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

So I know the motor that is in the boat now is not the original motor... I wonder if the mounts are still there to put the original motor back in... I'm going to be looking at it tomorrow night, I really hope it's what I'm expecting, I'd love to have her....
Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Wheels With Moose.

NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Any luck with the boat? What's the story?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #10
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
lol smaller engine... better fuel economy. less gallons per microseconds.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS
TonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement: Sharpshooter
Name: Louie
TonkaToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelivestone View Post
lol smaller engine... better fuel economy. less gallons per microseconds.
FALSE. On a boat that size with a smaller engine you will actually use more gas because its going to take the engine more to get the boat on plane. You dont want an underpowered boat.

And Op I have the same size boat, its a Wellcraft eclipse 216 which has a cuddy up front and it has a 5.7L 350 Mag pushing about 300hp with the alpha 1 outdrive. Def not underpowered, jumps out of the water and cruises at around 45mph tops out around 50-55mph. So if you do look into a motor swap I would recommend that motor, easy to work on and is a reliable motor. I would be scared to see how that motor pushes that boat. To me it seems like its going to be underpowered.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
thelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant futurethelivestone has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Marine Science Tech
Name: paul
thelivestone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToyTaco View Post
FALSE. On a boat that size with a smaller engine you will actually use more gas because its going to take the engine more to get the boat on plane. You dont want an underpowered boat.

And Op I have the same size boat, its a Wellcraft eclipse 216 which has a cuddy up front and it has a 5.7L 350 Mag pushing about 300hp with the alpha 1 outdrive. Def not underpowered, jumps out of the water and cruises at around 45mph tops out around 50-55mph. So if you do look into a motor swap I would recommend that motor, easy to work on and is a reliable motor. I would be scared to see how that motor pushes that boat. To me it seems like its going to be underpowered.
Didnt really think of it that way. All he needs to do now is a motor swap..... and boom done.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Any luck with the boat? What's the story?
Picking it up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToyTaco View Post

I'm going to try to get a 5.0 in there, if it's geared right, I feel like I'll save fuel over a 5.7. The motor that is in it is definitely not the original, I just hope all the mounts are still there for the original.