Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

so my brother and friends talk me into this long hike for trout.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
so my brother and friends talk me into this long hike for trout.

man..i am putting together my gear list.

i like trout fishing..cant say i LOOVE trout fishing. i am 90% sure my brother broke up with girl friend and needs the "man time"..i'm there for him.

i am gonna fish the upper kern river for trout. golden trout wilderness. i've deer hunted back there and the trip is a backpack nightmare. i have been cycling and jogging, so i am in decent shape.

fishing..just got a new ultralight rod and reel. i didnt even own one yet. got a box of kastmasters, spinners..and panther martins.. i think i will not use salmon eggs or worms. i dont think they are legal in the river.

i gotta admit..i am sorta nervous. 9 days in the woods will be my longest stay. egads!! the food list alone is daunting..i hope we catch a bunch of trout to eat, but i cannot count on it..can it?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
just wanted to vent..as i stare at my lunch salad.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a great trip.

Is that bear country? If so, make sure you know how to properly hang your gear from a branch off a big tree. Remember, bears are excellent climbers and can also stand on their hind legs.

Be careful to pack lightly. I would not recommend bringing cans of food as they weigh a lot and will have to carry the empty cans with you.

Oh, and most importantly, no shitting or pissing uphill/wind from camp.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
I think a bear can is required. Haha. Love the last tip. Been a while but I am not that rusty. Haha.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you got panther martins you'll catch trout. Try to enjoy the trip but 9 days.... Damn that's a long time. I'm a huge outdoorsman but i'd get bored after 3.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
I am extremely jealous! 9 days may seem like a while, but from my own experiences, after the first few nights of acclimating to "backpacking" life - you will feel right at home. If the nerves creep in, just sit back and take it all in.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
I am extremely jealous!
x2 Good Times are ahead!

I used to head out every summer for 2 week wilderness trips running white water rivers by canoe and fishing for dinner. We would fly in with our canoes and gear by float plane(Otter). The best times ever!!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
i'm back!!

we crushed them. i never knew rainbows grew so huge. the hike was long and epic. my knee blew up like a grapefruit on the drive home. six hours in a car, right after the trial may have been a mistake. i should have iced it, and stretched or something.

four of us, we caught hundreds of fish. i was the only fishing rookie..at least for river trout.

my very first cast was into a bush, my second cast hooked a 14" brooke trout. a native california trout. i am so sick of eating fish.

next year is already planned!!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any pictures??
Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
lots!

i havent organized them yet..here is our first camp. felt very "alpine".. and some place near one of our crazy hike destinations.

i lost 9 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
so my brother and friends talk me into this long hike for trout.-p1000442_2.jpg   so my brother and friends talk me into this long hike for trout.-p1000456_2.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Superior Member

How awesome!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
iliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shediliketurtles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
iliketurtles's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics. How many miles did you guys hike overall?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
I need to figure out mileage on a map. We were 27 miles out easy.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
niit_train will become famous soon enoughniit_train will become famous soon enough
Name: Jason
niit_train's Tacoma Gallery
Super jealous! Would love a trip like that. Glad all went somewhat well.

NT
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #15
virginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirginiamarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired SNCO
virginiamarine's Tacoma Gallery
Wow man! That is awesome! I too am extremly jealous. Just the two pictures and the report of great fishing put a big smile on my face this morning. Thanks. Just Epic!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
NICE!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #17
KielerTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Kiel
KielerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome! Plan on doing a trip like that t his spring