Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Starter Fly Fishing Combo Advice

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Starter Fly Fishing Combo Advice

Hi guys,
My dad taught me how to fly fish when I was 12 or 13 years old, I've really been thinking about buying a combo but can't make a decision because I don't know enough about the weight and length and how that plays into casting etc. I am an avid fisherwoman, mostly use baitcasters ( ABU Garcia Ambassador and a BP Pete Mainia Musky reel, both on Ugly Stiks) I do have an old Cardinal 4 spinner I use on occasion. Fish alot off of my kayak.

There is an awesome river right behind my house (Whitewater) that is full of small mouth bass and trout. Could wade, lots of shallow fast moving water, mostly gravel bottom. Also wondering if I could give fly fishing a go off my kayak on the reservoir I fish at alot. My budget is about $300 bucks for a combo. Was checking out the Reddington Crosswater. Any advice is appreciated!
Linda
Old 06-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
The redington set up is good. If you fish for bass more than trout I would get a 6wt. If you fish for trout I would get a 5wt. Both will most likely be a 9 foot rod. Check out the sage combos. They're in your price range and will come with a better reel, is hand made in the USA, and has a lifetime warranty. Good luck! If you have any other questions please ask.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Chitoson has a spectacular aura aboutChitoson has a spectacular aura about
Chitoson's Tacoma Gallery
The Redington and Sage recommendations are good but there are a lot of other options too. I recommend that you go to a shop and test cast a few different combos in your price range and see what suits your casting style.

Some people like faster actions and some like slower. If you pick a rod without trying it you may have a miserable time trying to fish with it.

The 6wt is a good recommendation if you are going to target bass and trout. If you are going to do more bass a 7wt may be a good option too. 9' is also a good recommendation.

Fishing for smallies from a kayak is a lot of fun. I recommend putting a leash on your rod while you are paddeling. Lots of rods are lost off of yaks.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. I'll have to make a trip out to Bass Pro and try both weights see which one I like better. Can't wait to hit the river with it! I'll let you know what I end up with then get your advice on a starter selection of decent flies. Chitoson, I'm with you on the rod leashes, everything I take out with me is either leashed or clipped on. It only took losing a fish gripper, thankfully it was the bp brand and not the Boga grips.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
BIDZ is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
BIDZ's Tacoma Gallery
I am no expert, but I can cast (provided there are no trees around) and sometimes catch fish lol. From what I've gathered in my 2 yrs of self taught flyfishing is what matters is matching your weights... line wt - rod wt, fly size - line/rod, rod - target species. Depending on certain conditions (windy etc.) you want to lower or increase your line wt with respect to your rod wt, just to help with casting. I'd say a 5/6 wt will suit your needs for most applications, but just ask around at any local fly shop and let them know what you want to do and let them fill in the blanks. I fish regularly from a kayak and on occasion flyfish from it. You need an anchor if there is any current or wind. Trying to manage a flyrod and tend your yak at the same time is for the birds.

I've also gathered that flyfishing is a patient man's game... so take your time and enjoy it.
Hope you find something you like