1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new take on a fishing rod holder

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Rich8419, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Feb 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    Rich8419

Rich8419 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab Short Bed Offroad Pkg
    weathertech floor liners, scan guage, gatekeeper
    [​IMG]

yeah i know it looks like crap but I put it together really quick b/c i needed to hold my ultra light rods. The pvc rod holders are from academy and i got the bolts from home depot. The drilled and tapped mounting blocks come from undercover (see cheap mod thread). I'm cutting another piece of plywood and painting it black this weekend so it won't look so bad. Also moved the whole assembly to the passenger side. Having it in the middle is a little bit of a stretch. At least I caught some fish.

[​IMG]

2. Feb 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    jolayiv

jolayiv Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hertford NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD 4x4 Off-Road
    Revenge-Fab Sliders, AVS Vent Guards, Rear TSB, Hose clamp MOD, Locker MOD, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow, Midland Radio, Wilson 1000 antenna, Rear Diff breather MOD, Weathertech liners, Maglite mount, Bed Divider, LEER 100XR, Pop&Lock
    Looks good to me man. How did you mount your antenna?

3. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Nice rod holder and nice catch!

4. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    Rich8419

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    firestik model # ss-6. I had to drill out the existing holes a little bigger with one of those christmas tree looking drill bits (whatever they are called). I have since also put a ss-3h firestik antenna spring b/c I was worried that if the antenna knocked anything it would break something without some way of having give. Sure enough a week later I forgot to take the antenna down before going into a parking garage and after about the forth 'thud' sound I jumped out the truck and took it down. No scratches on the truck or any harm done to the rails but the antenna has some character to it now. So please don't forget to order the spring to go with the antenna mount!

5. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    MCRANEY

MCRANEY WARTHOG

Member:
    CRESTVIEW FL
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4WD SR5 TRD
    3" Lift 285/75 16R Tires Aries Stainless Steel Grille Guard, KC Lights
    Are you still looking for a fishing rod holder for the bed of your truck? I have a patent pending on one i have designed and have a proto type built. if you would like to see let me know.

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I'd be worried about my rod tips with a set of rod holders like yours. I use 7' rods even for my eight pound rigs.

I lay them angled across the bed with the butts forward and tie off the tackle box, etc to a clip in the right hand forward corner.

7. Mar 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Rich8419

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Here's the newest iteration.
    [​IMG]

8. Mar 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I like that bar you have to hold stuff in the bed. I assume it works on the wide sections of the bed as well (extends)? What'd you pay and where'd you get it?

Also, how long are your rubbers? Do you just hang them in between the cab and bed and why? I assume "why not"? I would be worried about them coming out or sliding out the side.

That rod holder looks good. I need to do something like that as well - fishing season is just around the corner here!

9. Mar 17, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Rich8419

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    cargo bar from auto zone. $20 bucks.
    My boots go up just to below my knee. Cajun nike's :) They don't move much at all.

10. Mar 23, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    chrisrothrock2000

chrisrothrock2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Devil Horn Emblem, Access Bed Cover, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Bed Mat, AFE Dry Drop In Filter, Sock Monkey Decals, Custom Fishing Rod Holder

Can you send some photos of the rod holder you have built. I am looking to build or buy something to carry my rods. Thanks, Chris

11. Apr 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    cargo bars at harbor freight are 7 bucks and 14 bucks

12. Apr 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    pistolpete

pistolpete Active Member

Member:
    Califon,NJ
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Double Cab
    Rich I know you said it was quick and dirty...some ideas....I know someone posted being worried about the tips....you could fab a bracket on the back that tilts the holders back towards the bed so that the tips are no higher than the cab or close to it...I always worried about going down a trail and having overhanging branches,signs,bridges etc ripping off the tips...as such I prefer total protection of my 9ft fly rods and came up with this solution posted on another thread here How to tie down rods is on post #20....but I like your quick,simple & efficient solution...unfortunately I don't have the bed rails like the newer trucks....
    BTW I have the same bed bar and love it...really quick and easy to use...got it for christmas from my father-in-law

13. Apr 9, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    pistolpete

pistolpete Active Member

Member:
    Califon,NJ
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra Double Cab
    Rich8419,

I had an idea for your boots if you're game....make a similar plywood bracket and attach PVC piping in the shape of a "J" with the hook part of the "J" facing the bed....this is where your boots will fit over....then run the stack up to the top of the cab and put a small bend fitting on each to act as a scoop....then while your driving you will force air into the boots to keep the insides dry while puddle jumping!!!! there should NOT be enough air to pop the boots off if you choose the diameter wisely (go from small scoop to large diameter on the bottom to diffuse air pressure...I'm trying to think of a way to do this for my fly fishing waders

Products Discussed in

To Top