Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

new take on a fishing rod holder

Old 02-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Rich8419 is on a distinguished road
Rich8419's Tacoma Gallery
new take on a fishing rod holder

yeah i know it looks like crap but I put it together really quick b/c i needed to hold my ultra light rods. The pvc rod holders are from academy and i got the bolts from home depot. The drilled and tapped mounting blocks come from undercover (see cheap mod thread). I'm cutting another piece of plywood and painting it black this weekend so it won't look so bad. Also moved the whole assembly to the passenger side. Having it in the middle is a little bit of a stretch. At least I caught some fish.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Looks good to me man. How did you mount your antenna?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rod holder and nice catch!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
firestik model # ss-6. I had to drill out the existing holes a little bigger with one of those christmas tree looking drill bits (whatever they are called). I have since also put a ss-3h firestik antenna spring b/c I was worried that if the antenna knocked anything it would break something without some way of having give. Sure enough a week later I forgot to take the antenna down before going into a parking garage and after about the forth 'thud' sound I jumped out the truck and took it down. No scratches on the truck or any harm done to the rails but the antenna has some character to it now. So please don't forget to order the spring to go with the antenna mount!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
WARTHOG
MCRANEY will become famous soon enoughMCRANEY will become famous soon enough
Air Force: A-10 Crew Chief
MCRANEY's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still looking for a fishing rod holder for the bed of your truck? I have a patent pending on one i have designed and have a proto type built. if you would like to see let me know.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be worried about my rod tips with a set of rod holders like yours. I use 7' rods even for my eight pound rigs.

I lay them angled across the bed with the butts forward and tie off the tackle box, etc to a clip in the right hand forward corner.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Here's the newest iteration.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I like that bar you have to hold stuff in the bed. I assume it works on the wide sections of the bed as well (extends)? What'd you pay and where'd you get it?

Also, how long are your rubbers? Do you just hang them in between the cab and bed and why? I assume "why not"? I would be worried about them coming out or sliding out the side.

That rod holder looks good. I need to do something like that as well - fishing season is just around the corner here!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
cargo bar from auto zone. $20 bucks.
My boots go up just to below my knee. Cajun nike's They don't move much at all.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
chrisrothrock2000 is on a distinguished road

chrisrothrock2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRANEY View Post
Are you still looking for a fishing rod holder for the bed of your truck? I have a patent pending on one i have designed and have a proto type built. if you would like to see let me know.

Can you send some photos of the rod holder you have built. I am looking to build or buy something to carry my rods. Thanks, Chris
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich8419 View Post
cargo bar from auto zone. $20 bucks.
My boots go up just to below my knee. Cajun nike's They don't move much at all.
cargo bars at harbor freight are 7 bucks and 14 bucks
Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
pistolpete is on a distinguished road
pistolpete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich8419 View Post
Here's the newest iteration.
Rich I know you said it was quick and dirty...some ideas....I know someone posted being worried about the tips....you could fab a bracket on the back that tilts the holders back towards the bed so that the tips are no higher than the cab or close to it...I always worried about going down a trail and having overhanging branches,signs,bridges etc ripping off the tips...as such I prefer total protection of my 9ft fly rods and came up with this solution posted on another thread here How to tie down rods is on post #20....but I like your quick,simple & efficient solution...unfortunately I don't have the bed rails like the newer trucks....
BTW I have the same bed bar and love it...really quick and easy to use...got it for christmas from my father-in-law
Old 04-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
pistolpete is on a distinguished road
pistolpete's Tacoma Gallery
Rich8419,

I had an idea for your boots if you're game....make a similar plywood bracket and attach PVC piping in the shape of a "J" with the hook part of the "J" facing the bed....this is where your boots will fit over....then run the stack up to the top of the cab and put a small bend fitting on each to act as a scoop....then while your driving you will force air into the boots to keep the insides dry while puddle jumping!!!! there should NOT be enough air to pop the boots off if you choose the diameter wisely (go from small scoop to large diameter on the bottom to diffuse air pressure...I'm trying to think of a way to do this for my fly fishing waders