Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Best Crappie Spinning Reel for <$100?

Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Best Crappie Spinning Reel for <$100?

I just spend a week fishing at a guided lodge, and it made me realize I need to upgrade my gear. I liked the Okuma IA55 I fished with a lot, but I don't know what options are out there.

I want to start with my crappie rig, so does anyone have a quality spinning reel they love for around $100? I was looking at Pflugers but the reviews make them seem hit and miss.

Planning to pair the rod with a 7' ugly stick light unless someone has another great ultralight rod suggestion.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Pretty good at drinkin beer!
TaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rob
TaKoToy's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to go wrong with shimano clarus 6 foot UL rod paired with whatever size 2500 shimano reel you can afford. I know a guide that swears by this setup. Spool up with 4 pound suffix HiVis and you will love it. You could go with a longer rod if you dont dock shoot.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaKoToy View Post
Hard to go wrong with shimano clarus 6 foot UL rod paired with whatever size 2500 shimano reel you can afford. I know a guide that swears by this setup. Spool up with 4 pound suffix HiVis and you will love it. You could go with a longer rod if you dont dock shoot.
X2

I have a Shimano Symetre with a 6' browning rod and it's great for crappie and bass
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Phluegar president reels are a great spinning reel. Do not get an ugly stick. Nothing wrong with them just that there are so many more better options out there. Look at Fenwick, Abu Garcia, all star. Go to tacklewarehouse.com most of there stuff is all bass stuff but they can give you some good ideas about what's out there and usually at a better price than bass pro.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I went and tried out several reels and rods - ended up with a Pfluger President ultralight and a St Croix premier UL 6' one piece. Seems to be a good combo, but I haven't wetted a line with it yet.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Last summer I replaced my 20+ year old diawa spinning reel with a Shimano Sienna. It was a pretty inexpensive reel but very smooth. I compared it with some others at Bass Pro and it won out as the best bang for the buck IMO. Might be worth a look.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Outsider is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorabally Discharged Staff Sergent
Name: Nick
Outsider's Tacoma Gallery
That is an epic combo for panfish/trout. Epic combo.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
switchbackjr. is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
switchbackjr.'s Tacoma Gallery
My votes goes for a 6ft ugly stick with a Shimano Sienna 1000 reel...can pick up this combo for under $100 if you look around...I bought this setup for my father a few years back for trout/panfish...I personally have a 6ft Clarus with a Symetre 1000 rear drag so +1 for the combo mentioned a few posts up

tight lines