Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Thinking About Installing A Hydrofoil On My Boat

Old 08-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking About Installing A Hydrofoil On My Boat

I have a Mercury 25hp (4 stroke) on my Tracker Pro Team 175.

The front rides up extremely high and I would like for it to level out. What experience do you guys have with these? Any certain brand or type you recommend over others?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Bendecco is on a distinguished road
Name: Warren
Bendecco's Tacoma Gallery
It should help but I think shifting weight or ward would help a lot more than a foil...

Any pics of your boat?

I have a foil on mine but I also have a 40hp 4 stroke on my 13ft boat and still have 40lbs of lead in the bow to keep it from pounding....

How many rpms are you able to get at WOT with the 25?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a stock picture of it. Everything is the same except the engine is a little smaller.

Not sure what my rpm is at WOT
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
The 93 Starcraft I just bought had a hyrdofoil on it when I bought it. It's awesome. Makes the boat jump on plane very quickly and ride very stable. They aren't very expensive, so definitely worth a try. I usually fish with one other person and when we motor up we both sit in the back and it still planes out perfectly.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
they work well for us here
or get a big friend to sit up front
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 25HP Mercury 4-stroke big-foot on a 1448 tracker Grizzly, and with any weight in the boat (ecspecially the rear) it would not plane out. I put a hydro-foil on it and it does push the back of the boat up out of the water quicker allowing it to plane out faster. But like stated above Weight distribution is key too. Also you have a lot of boat for a 25HP 4-stroke in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
Also I bought the Attwood brand. It claims to have less drag after getting the boat on plane due to the angle of the foils.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
pull n pony has a spectacular aura aboutpull n pony has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jamie
pull n pony's Tacoma Gallery
Does the boat have power trim? Where the motor is positioned while coming out of the hole and on plane will have alot to do with the attitude of the boat. Also the foil will help alot on hole shot then if the motor is set right it should be out of the water when on plane.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
NRA Benefactor Member

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
I took it out today and I can now provide more info.

WOT RPMs is 5000. When I rise the prop up, the angle is worse. Weight is mainly in the rear of the boat with 2 batteries and the gas tank. These are non movable due to the structure of the boat.

The prop is stock 3 blade from Bass Pro, so I'm not sure the exact specs.

I agree, it is a lot of boat, but in my area, that's about the limit you can have for the majority of the lakes.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Bendecco is on a distinguished road
Name: Warren
Bendecco's Tacoma Gallery
Rpms are close but a little more would be better

Do you have a pic of the motor on the boat from the side?

Maybe you can raise it up a hole....that would bring up te rpm and drag less....

Those numbers are super good for a 25hp....