LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #221
snow is awesome
VE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shedVE7OSR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob II
VE7OSR's Tacoma Gallery
& one note coming from a Search & Rescue guy, that pulls abut 3 folks a year out of lakes from drowning incidents, please,please, please wear your pfds. Get a good one that fits well. There are also auto inflate ones that are lightweight, for those that want to stay cooler, or kayaking pfds that give you lots of room to move. There is no excuse to not wear one.

for sit in kayaks, most basic inexpensive plastic models are wide, some are short, and feel very stable. They are very stable in flat water, but do not handle rough water as well as a better model with multiple angles (chines) to the bottom hull design. A more performance oriented kayak maybe narrower, or feel a bit tippy to start with, but can handle rougher water much better with a bit of practice. If you only fish in calm waters, then the stable, wide models or sit on tops will work very well.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #222
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeforceone View Post
I recently bought my tacoma because I was sick and tired of transporting my kayak on top of a roof rack. I even went and got a long bed. It is such a breeze sliding the kayak in and out of the truck bed. I also use bed extender made by t-bone. I use a native watercraft manta ray 14 with a rudder. I choose the sit on top design because it has scupper holes to bail out the water. I fish mostly the florida gulf coast and paddle around 10-15 miles to find fish (redfish, seatrout, snook, black drum).

here is a picture of my friend's set up
Do you have a pic of a boat on that extender? Looks like a nice extender.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #223
schwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
schwangster's Tacoma Gallery
Not technically 'fishing', but paddling with whale sharks at La Paz, BCS, MX.
Apparently this 20'er is considered a smaller one....
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing out of a kayak?-big.jpg   Fishing out of a kayak?-20140101_111402.jpg   Fishing out of a kayak?-2014-01-01-12.08.28.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #224
dubveeyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
dubveeyota's Tacoma Gallery
Lot of good recs here. The big thing is to know what type of water you'll be doing the bulk of your fishing on. I made the mistake of buying the wrong yak the first time, but I made it work for me for as long as I could.

My first yak was an Emotion Glide 10'. Definitely a flat water boat, though it has some failings even there. It's not as stable as its design would lead you to believe, and balancing weight on it is more of a trick than it should be. I bought it with no frills or extras, and added all my rod holders after I brought it home. I had it fairly well rigged (2 flush mount rod holders behind the seat, and a surface mount up front), but it still lacked a few items.

My primary fishing style is downriver floating on a river with lots of class I & II rapids. Nothing big or dangerous (though, in the right conditions there are a couple of possible class III's). This yak was not meant for that at all. It's a flat water boat, and really lacks the maneuverability and stability needed for anything technical. I've spent years forcing this boat to bend to my will and run rougher, faster water. The final decision to go ahead and get a yak more suited to what I need came this spring when I flipped coming through a nasty little rapid that I've successfully run dozens of time with no issues.

So, the search began. I knew I needed a yak that would easily lend itself to being a fishing rig, yet handle the challenges of river fishing, as well as be a solid, safe and fun rig for the times when I just want to paddle fast, rough water for fun. I landed on two hybrid models from LiquidLogic: The remix XP10 (sit inside, almost pure whitewater boat, slightly modified to have some speed on flatwater with a deployable skeg for tracking) and the coupe ( a sit on top version of the Remix XP). I almost went with the Remix, but I quickly realized that my visions of running class IV and V's were just delusions, and that I really wasn't up to that challenge right now (maybe in a couple years, I'll add one to hte fleet and get real ballsy).

Once I had it narrowed down to the coupe as the most logical choice, I started searching for a used one. Not so easy. No one wants to get rid of them if they have one. I just happened to luck into a place in Salisbury, MD while visiting the in laws at Christmas that had a used coupe on display. For $550, it came home with me that day.

I haven't had the coupe out on the water yet. Buying a new yak in the dead of winter in West Virginia is pure self torture. This does give me time to tinker with it a bit. Test out what gear I can and can't carry etc. The coupe has a good amount of storage, so for the overnight trips, I should be able to carry my camping gear without being overloaded.

Since the Taco is a new addition, I really haven't put much into making it more friendly to hauling my yak. But, with a 10' boat, it's pretty convenient to just toss it in the bed, strap it down and go. The plan is to add a camper shell with racks and make use of J cradles since I usually have 2-3 boats to haul on most trips. I basically want to recreate the set up I had on my '02 Tundra Access cab.

Once I get more organized, I'll post some pics of the old rig and the new.

TThe point is, once I started fishing from a kayak, there was no other option for me. It's been the best thing I've done in years.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #225
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
About to pick up a nucanoe, had and cobra fish n dive
Old 02-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #226
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #227
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post

Awesome. Let us know how you like it. I've been considering getting one too
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #228
Mechanic for Honda

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Awesome. Let us know how you like it. I've been considering getting one too

Gonna start rigging it up this weekend Hope to take it out soon. Still shopping around for a trolling motor and battery
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #229
FSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to all

Name: Cody
FSUtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody ever used or heard anything about the Emotion Stealth 10 Angler? Looking for a decent kayak to fish from.

This would be my first kayak and used for lakes and flats fishing.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #230
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
It's an entry level kayak, would be just fine for flat water fishing use. I would look to get at least a 12 ft though just so you have some storage space. The 10 will work, but doesn't have a ton of space. You could always look at the regular version and then just rig it the way you want it to make it a "fishing" kayak.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #231

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine, I've got a pvc rod holder behind the seat, a Scotty rod holder fore of the cockpit, a home made anchor trolley system out of a few stainless pulleys, nylon rope, a 5 lb weight, and a cleat.

You don't need to be fancy, and most times it's cheaper to rig the boat yourself. Most of the"fishing" accessories are things you can easily make yourself for significantly cheaper with common stuff from home depot.