Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #261
budd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 51T - 412th EnCom
budd4766's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Took another stroll on the lake with the GF's Dad and picked up this bass on the troll. First fish in the new boat.

Nice!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #262
FSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to allFSUtaco is a name known to all

Name: Cody
FSUtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #263
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery

All ready to go - ultralight, bass rod & catfish rig. Ready for whatever is biting.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #264
budd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got out early this morning...West Point Lake, Lagrange, GA:

Didn't get much action, except for this guy:
Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #265
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this in my phone. Don't remember if I shared this pic. Was a little while back. This was the smoothest day on the ocean I've ever seen. Was like pure grease smooth.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #266
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
My duck hunting/fishing rig

They looked like this

Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #267
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
So I bought some kayaks today

Will be doing some fishing but mostly just for recreational use

Picked up a Feelfree Moken 12 Angler and a Native Manta Ray 12

Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #268
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nice! I sat in a Manta Ray before I bought my ocean kayak and I thought it was a pretty good design. Local place only had the 10' and I wanted at least a 12, otherwise I might have bought it.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #269

Just looked up the Moken - that's a LOT like my Trident 13. A little wider & heavier, which just means more stable! I'll bet you end up liking those two a lot.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #270
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I went with those 2 because the local shop had them on consignment for about $1200 for the pair, plus the buyer rewards program results in enough store credit I was able to pick up a pair of feelfree paddles that ran about $100 each

I sat in both, and have been doing a lot of reading etc and decided that spending $1200 for good yaks was better than spending $800 once then another $1200-$1500 later

Both are super comfortable while sitting on dry land and both seem very well built. ..I'm stoked
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #271
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

So here are my 2 "new to me" boats...the seat for the FeelFree is not installed in the pic

Paddled them around the lake at home so far which has been great because it's only about 60 acres and no power boats allowed

I will eventually take them to larger bodies of public water where power boats are allowed...with that being said

Anyone have suggestions on 3 things:

1. PFDs - taking suggestions...I'm not made of $$ so I'd like to stay on the cheap side, but find something comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of time

2. Lights - Has anyone installed, or bought, etc stern lights? I'm not too much concerned with me being able to see where I'm going, but if on bigger water, I'd like the option of other boats seeing me

3. Must purchase add-ons? What are some of the things you guys have done/bought that are absolutely must haves that you cannot live without when you're on the water?

Also, I need to figure out a cupholder for the FeelFree...for some reason it doesn't have one
Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #272
NJDBFTW
The Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hunter
The Hunter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

So here are my 2 "new to me" boats...the seat for the FeelFree is not installed in the pic

Paddled them around the lake at home so far which has been great because it's only about 60 acres and no power boats allowed

I will eventually take them to larger bodies of public water where power boats are allowed...with that being said

Anyone have suggestions on 3 things:

1. PFDs - taking suggestions...I'm not made of $$ so I'd like to stay on the cheap side, but find something comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of time

2. Lights - Has anyone installed, or bought, etc stern lights? I'm not too much concerned with me being able to see where I'm going, but if on bigger water, I'd like the option of other boats seeing me

3. Must purchase add-ons? What are some of the things you guys have done/bought that are absolutely must haves that you cannot live without when you're on the water?

Also, I need to figure out a cupholder for the FeelFree...for some reason it doesn't have one
I love my manta ray 12!!! Youll enjoy it... I haven't done. Damn thing to mine except for a 3rd rod holder in the center... Only thing I say to you is keep it out of the sun unless youre using it and make sure you drain the water out from inside the hull every time there is water in it... I had ice inside mine this winter!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #273
NJDBFTW
The Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Hunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also I do not wear a life vest when on the kayak but do have one at the ready for me to grab i have yet to fall out/tip over and I don't particularly panic in times of life threatening emergencies... I try to stay as calm as possible... But anything with a THIN back pad or no back pad will be comfy
Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #274
NJDBFTW

Here are the 2 biggest I caught yesterday!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #275
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunter View Post
I love my manta ray 12!!! Youll enjoy it... I haven't done. Damn thing to mine except for a 3rd rod holder in the center... Only thing I say to you is keep it out of the sun unless youre using it and make sure you drain the water out from inside the hull every time there is water in it... I had ice inside mine this winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hunter View Post
Also I do not wear a life vest when on the kayak but do have one at the ready for me to grab i have yet to fall out/tip over and I don't particularly panic in times of life threatening emergencies... I try to stay as calm as possible... But anything with a THIN back pad or no back pad will be comfy
Haven't paddled the Manta Ray yet but I really like the Moken

I probably won't outfit the Manta Ray for fishing anytime soon...boats are garage kept and drained and left open so any excess moisture can dry out

I'm fine with no PFD on my little lake, but I want one to wear when I'm on bigger water
Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #276
Bluenik25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nik
Bluenik25's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the world of Kayak Fishing!

For a PFD I would recommend the NRS Chinook I have two of them and you can barely tell they are there on the water. The high back works well with kayak seats. In TN we are required to have a PFD on board at all times, but I have seen so many stories of kayakers who have lost their lives because they were not wearing their PFD so I wear mine all the time. The Chinook is very breathable and wont make you hot in the summer months.

Lights are a must if you are going to be out before dawn or after dusk. At a minimum you will need a stern light that can be viewed from 360 deg around the kayak. If you you want the best you can add a YakAttack VisiCarbon Pro it is a collapsable carbon pole that comes with a flag and light. Before I had a Visicarbon Pro I used a fiberglass driveway marker with a flashlight that had a light defuser on top. It worked and people could see it. If you are interested in additional lighting I would highly recommend SuperNova Fishing Lights Kayak kits. They are excellent quality and wont discolor and peel off like the cheep lights you find on Ebay or in the big box stores.

As for add-ons many people find a anchor trolley and stakeout pole to be very useful. You may also consider a Milk Crate or one of the boxes manufactured to hold your gear.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #277
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenik25 View Post
Welcome to the world of Kayak Fishing!

For a PFD I would recommend the NRS Chinook I have two of them and you can barely tell they are there on the water. The high back works well with kayak seats. In TN we are required to have a PFD on board at all times, but I have seen so many stories of kayakers who have lost their lives because they were not wearing their PFD so I wear mine all the time. The Chinook is very breathable and wont make you hot in the summer months.

Lights are a must if you are going to be out before dawn or after dusk. At a minimum you will need a stern light that can be viewed from 360 deg around the kayak. If you you want the best you can add a YakAttack VisiCarbon Pro it is a collapsable carbon pole that comes with a flag and light. Before I had a Visicarbon Pro I used a fiberglass driveway marker with a flashlight that had a light defuser on top. It worked and people could see it. If you are interested in additional lighting I would highly recommend SuperNova Fishing Lights Kayak kits. They are excellent quality and wont discolor and peel off like the cheep lights you find on Ebay or in the big box stores.

As for add-ons many people find a anchor trolley and stakeout pole to be very useful. You may also consider a Milk Crate or one of the boxes manufactured to hold your gear.

I will eventually rig up a milk crate for some tackle and gear, but for now I'm just carrying a small box with basic essentials that I can clip to the rigging line. I bought some materials at Lowe's today to make a couple of stakeout poles thanks to some handy write ups online.

As far as PFDs go, I'm hoping to find a couple good deals come memorial day/end of season sales so for now I'm just using the basic cheap orange ones that cost about $6. My private property lake again has no motors allowed and I'm not terribly concerned with having PFDs that I can wear all day because I won't be out there all day. These should work for now on this particular lake.

Lighting is def a must add before I hit bigger water, but I'm still weighing all the options as far as mounting solutions go. Also trying to decide if I want to build a watertight battery box and run something off a motorcycle battery, or if I want something I can throw AA or AAA into and go. The Moken will likely get a motorcycle battery so I can mount my fishfinder eventually, but again...down the road because I don't want to drop more $$$ yet. I like the driveway marker and flashlight idea. I will revisit this next time I'm at Lowe's.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #278

I wear a vest...just because of the crazy jet skiers zipping by me all the time on the lake. And I have one of these for when I need to be extra visible: http://www.yakattack.us/CPM_p/cpm.htm
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #279
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I like my vest simply because it has a lot of storage for knife, pliers, grips, a few lures, etc...
Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #280
Taco-N-Madre
jruba is on a distinguished road
jruba's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned several kayaks from hobbies, WS , OK , malibus etc .. heres my current yak WS T160