Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #41
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
Thats what i was going to recommend. Pelican Persuit 100. Pelican Potamic 100.

Under 300$ Light, perfect for beginner. Read the reviews. Go to youtube and type in "pelican persuit" and watch the videos. Awesome kayak. You can add a rod holder. A milk crate for tackle box and your ready to go.
Don't get a pelican! I've heard a lot of bad things about those kayaks from being very unstable and poorly made.

Yeah, the price is cheap, but u get what u pay for

Look on craigslist you'll find good deals on some.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
Dad
buzhazzard is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
buzhazzard's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Malibu X-Factor and an Ocean Kayak Big Game. They are both big boy kayaks and have a 600 pound capacity so I can load it up it I want/need to.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #43
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Good information in here. I've been contemplating getting one myself. I have an 18' center console that I use in the bays in Delaware but would like something to use for the lakes or rivers around here at home. I'd rather go with a kayak than a small aluminum boat.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #44
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at buying one in the early spring. Torn between a Heritage Redfish 12', a Mad River Synergy 12', and a Wilderness Systems Ride 12'. I live halfway between two large lakes, about 3 miles from a small reservoir, and about 300 yards from a pretty big river and would love to be able to fish them in a yak. I have tested out the redfish and its pretty nice for an entry level yak.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #45
drivethruecp is on a distinguished road
drivethruecp's Tacoma Gallery
Hobie with the Mirage drive--hands free fishing!! Nothings more efficient!!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #46
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. Great boat, fast, versatile, and hauls a ton of stuff. For some really good info check out texaskayakfisherman.com it's a really good forum with alot of first hand knowledge
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #47
Igorot
Steveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteveonthebeach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Steveonthebeach's Tacoma Gallery
My Ocean Kayak Malibu II
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing out of a kayak?-untitled.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #48
FFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really niceFFRNDAN is just really nice
Name: Dan
FFRNDAN's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone here is relatively handy, knows how to run a drill and a jigsaw, you can build yourself a kayak. My dad and I have matching 17ft. touring style kayaks built from sheets of plywood (African Mahogany to be exact).

Now, mind you, I am NOT, I REPEAT NOT A WOODWORKER!!

I'll have to find some pics, but they came out very nicely. I have camped out of mine for a week, and could have gone longer if I brought more food. I have also fished out of mine which wasnt hard at all, you just have to have all your tackle in the cockpit or deck bag.

Here is a link to the specific model

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/k...kayak-kit.html

They go like stink in the water. I can outrun an empty 18ft canoe with 2 paddlers while my kayak is fully loaded with about 100+ lbs of gear. These things are amazing!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #49
sneurath is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: shawn
sneurath's Tacoma Gallery
Im a fishing Guied out of Hernando County Fla,I mostly fish out of my boat but do offer kayak trips and Im on a pro kayak fishing team, anyone who wants to go just call me..

Capt .Shawn Neurath
352-428-7212
Mission Fishin Charters
www.missionfishincharters.com
Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #50
sneurath is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: shawn
sneurath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I'm looking at buying one in the early spring. Torn between a Heritage Redfish 12', a Mad River Synergy 12', and a Wilderness Systems Ride 12'. I live halfway between two large lakes, about 3 miles from a small reservoir, and about 300 yards from a pretty big river and would love to be able to fish them in a yak. I have tested out the redfish and its pretty nice for an entry level yak.
I have the redfish 14 and the ride 135 love them both.I fish out of a Diablo also.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #51
Himiler is on a distinguished road
Navy: Long ago,far far away on the flight deck
Name: Skip
Himiler's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Yea!

I have 2 Hobie kayaks and YES the're expensive BUT kinda like our TACOS Ive never been disappointed with things that work! And they do work well! As far as shallow water you only peddle with minimum distance on the pedals really often OR take a run at it and if you get stuck get out and walk! The fins underneath will tuck up to the boat if u have either pedal forward. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND RENT, BORROW, WHATEVER YOU NEED TO DO B E F O R E YOU GET ANYTHING! Hope this helps. I put both kayaks on a jet ski trailer Another excellent choice, works suberb
Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #52
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Guys around here fish out of kyaks for sturgeon. You hook into one and let it pull you up and down the river for a while.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
jhndoe37 is on a distinguished road
Name: al
jhndoe37's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4 door 4x4 2008. I have 2 ocean kayak scramblers. We love em. I put them in the bed and use a bed extender that fits into the hitch. it extens the bed with a long square pipe that comes out then up and has a t on top at the level of the dropped tailgate. Works awsome and no lifting up high. We live near cape cod
Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #55
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Kayak fishing is pretty awesome, I have been doing it since I was 8 or so. This is a great way to get to remote places, and also an amazing secret weapon on lakes overfished by boats with trolling motors or row boats. Also once you get where you want to be as long as your bait has a pond or two of resistance you are your own trolling motor.

The Hobie fin system is supposed to be absolutely awesome and folds up above the bottom of the boat to be out of harms way. Hank Parker did a show with his son in those boats of their local creek where they actually were scraping over rock and stuff with no issues.

Self rescue even in open water is a matter of planning and practice. With a paddle float and a pump you will be able to get back into the boat and bail it out.

As far as landing big fish goes its definitely less of an issue then you think.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #56
tkefor is on a distinguished road

tkefor's Tacoma Gallery
from LLBean:

Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #57
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my pr of WS Tarpon 120s............

Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #58
djcutler84 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Dan
djcutler84's Tacoma Gallery
I go bass fishing religiously and use a kayak a great deal of the time. As soon as you get used to it you'll love it, and you can bring it anywhere no matter what the restrictions are.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #59
MrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud ofMrShoehorn has much to be proud of
Name: Justin
MrShoehorn's Tacoma Gallery
I've only got a basic Pelican Potomac 120 kayak, it holds up well enough and is actually pretty stable. It's still my first one, about to upgrade to either the Old Town Vashon 146 or the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 120.

You can do alot of basic modifications to any kayak though, to make it fishing ready.

I've added many different rod holders, bungees, and etc.

~ Shoe
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #60
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
my WS tarpon 120