Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #141
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Well the First Americans/First Nations people have been fishing and hunting in kayaks for ever. My kayaks are nothing special just kayaks and I fish from mine all the time stable comfortable and light what's not to like.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #142
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Well the First Americans/First Nations people have been fishing and hunting in kayaks for ever. My kayaks are nothing special just kayaks and I fish from mine all the time stable comfortable and light what's not to like.
STABLE ?????
Well if you don't move than a few inches maybe. Went fishing for the first time in one last year. Got a good hit from a bass and set the hook like I always do and promptly did a slow roll upside down. I'm use to my bass boat so I give the big sets. Hehehehe the most fun I had all summer. Laughed my butt off all the way to shore. Drained it out and got back in and went back to the same spot and caught 2. Can't wait to do it again. Nothing wrong with the kayak, just the kayakee.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #143
OkieLad is on a distinguished road
OkieLad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
STABLE ?????
Well if you don't move than a few inches maybe... Nothing wrong with the kayak, just the kayakee.
Now, I'm not saying you need some $2k kayak but any good fishing kayak will allow you to sit side saddle, move around or even stand. My fat butt can stand while casting and setting hooks in my kayak. There is nothing wrong with you...it's the boat. You may find a shop that'll rent you a new angler kayak for a weekend. My shop will do it for $25 AND deduct any rental fees from the purchase price if you decide to buy. Try an Ocean Kayak, Jackson or a Native Watercraft. I don't see how I could possibly capsize in my kayak and I've fished it like crazy.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #144
tango59 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Found this rack for the Softopper... A little over a grand for the whole setup.
http://www.softopper.com/us-truck-cap-rack-details.aspx
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #145
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieLad View Post
Now, I'm not saying you need some $2k kayak but any good fishing kayak will allow you to sit side saddle, move around or even stand. My fat butt can stand while casting and setting hooks in my kayak. There is nothing wrong with you...it's the boat. You may find a shop that'll rent you a new angler kayak for a weekend. My shop will do it for $25 AND deduct any rental fees from the purchase price if you decide to buy. Try an Ocean Kayak, Jackson or a Native Watercraft. I don't see how I could possibly capsize in my kayak and I've fished it like crazy.
It wasn't a fishing kayak. And it wasn't that long. It was fun once I didn't set a hook with everything I had. Heheheh. Did glide real well.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #146
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I take the toolbox out, throw em in, and tie them down with some ratchet straps. Looks sketchy but they're solid as a rock. Below is my buddy's mammoth of a speck that he caught out of that little yellow kayak. (He's 6'3" btw)

Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #147
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #148
Conex is on a distinguished road
Conex's Tacoma Gallery
Native Kayak FTW
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #150
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Cuda instead. I'm not gonna be in any river fast than a Class II anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing out of a kayak?-cuda-2.jpg   Fishing out of a kayak?-cuda.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #151
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango59 View Post
I went with the Cuda instead. I'm not gonna be in any river fast than a Class II anyway.
Sweet yak man!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #152
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
And made in TN !!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #153
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. That's the main reason I went with jackson. Gotta support the local guys first, that and they make a fantastic yak. How do you like the Cuda?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #154
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
OUTDOORS INC here in W.TN has a layaway... I'll pay it off at the end of the month. I still have to get the wife's kayak too !!! She opted for the Bass Pro FS10 sit-in (saved some money).
Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #155
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got a kayak, been borrowing a friend of mines for a while. Picked up a Old Town Trip Angler 10. Going to test it out tomorrow morning, fishing and looking for arrowheads at the local lake. I'll try and take some pics.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #156
Hippynotions is on a distinguished road
Hippynotions's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
Does anyone have a Kayak they fish out of?
I was thinking about getting one but have no idea what to look for.
I'll be doing mostly flats fishing in no more than 6 feet of water. Typically I'll be in 2 feet of less.
Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get?
Or better yet pics of theirs loaded in their Tacoma?
I bought a 14' Trident Ocean Kayak i love it tons of room scupper holes to drain water when waves rock over your all compartments are sealed and it comes with an area made for a fish finder/ transducer hook up rutter and all i love it the only thing is it is 14' long it has great speed and handling in rough conditions i dont fish the ocean because i live in saskatchewan canada mostly lakes and rivers are my hot spots. If i were to do it again id go with something a bit shorter easier to self load on and off of my roof rack and if you need to do a short portage its a bit lighter/ easier to manourver mine was 500$ id recommend the snap tight mini tackle boxes that have a water seal, I have 2 or 3 one for jigs lures and spoons or what ever you use if you drop them in the water they float life saver!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #157
This is my bad boy i have it in camo instead of yellow. The best part of kayak fishing is being so close to the strike zone when using top water hooks and watching the fish chase your hook right up to the kayak and then strike!

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...ent_13_angler/
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
STABLE ?????
Well if you don't move than a few inches maybe. Went fishing for the first time in one last year. Got a good hit from a bass and set the hook like I always do and promptly did a slow roll upside down. I'm use to my bass boat so I give the big sets. Hehehehe the most fun I had all summer. Laughed my butt off all the way to shore. Drained it out and got back in and went back to the same spot and caught 2. Can't wait to do it again. Nothing wrong with the kayak, just the kayakee.
A legit fishing kayak will be sit on top impossible to sink unless you have all your cargo lids open and you fil it right full of water but very unlikely sit on top kayaks will drain water through the scupper holes near your feet and behind you in the cargo hold swamping tipping and getting rocked by waves will allow you to upright and keep fishing where you are no need to go to shore. As long as you have all your gear bungeed down / floating water proof tackle boxes your laughing.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #159
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
i have a pelican castaway 116. this thing is nearly indestructible. got it cheap off of craigslist($150).
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing out of a kayak?-img_20130326_185442_401.jpg  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #160
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up my Cuda yesterday and it's sitting in the garage. Wife's Kayak will be in, in about 2 weeks. OUTDOORS INC gave me 15% off the cost of the Cuda, 15% off any asscessories and two $35.00 gift certificates. Awesome folks to deal with and been in business here in Memphis/West TN since 1974. Can't wait to get it out .