Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #161
K Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
K Williams's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to K Williams
Thumbs up Kayak Kevin

Check out Kayak Kevin's website.

http://www.kayakkevin.com/videos.html
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #163
K Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shedK Williams is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.7 is looking like a definite next purchase for me!

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...ent_Ultra_4.7/
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #164
Question Ocean Fishing: Rudder or No Rudder?

For those of you that fish in the ocean, bays, etc., do you have a rudder on your kayaks or not? What are the pluses or minuses?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #165
tango59 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Heres my Yakima Outdoorsman racks with my 2 yaks loaded up.

Does that rack mount into the trac system ?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #166
TNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedTNDrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
TNDrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango59 View Post
Does that rack mount into the trac system ?
No, I had to drill 4 - 1/2" holes in the track. One for each J bolt. It's very sturdy
Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #167
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Drew.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #168
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
For those of you that fish in the ocean, bays, etc., do you have a rudder on your kayaks or not? What are the pluses or minuses?
I just went with my brother Easter Weekend in Corpus Christi area. He has been fishing off kayaks for a very long time. All he uses is a paddle, no rudders. I have to say though, he is very very good at kayaking. I previously asked him about rudders and trolling motors as I’m interested in getting a kayak later on. His reply was simply, "its too much BS, you don’t need it.” I agree with him, but seriously he is really good at kayaking. So really kind of hard to say. Keep in mind a lake and a bay is two different environments and conditions. O’ and he uses SOT style.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #169
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Took the Cuda out for the first time today. Fantastic !!! Also tried this setup for transporting in the back of my regular cab and it works great. Went over railroad tracks, speed bumps and interstate speeds. A bunge cargo net !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing out of a kayak?-gator-5-7-13-001.jpg   Fishing out of a kayak?-gator-5-7-13-008.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #171
OkieLad is on a distinguished road
OkieLad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Took the Cuda out for the first time today. Fantastic !!! Also tried this setup for transporting in the back of my regular cab and it works great. Went over railroad tracks, speed bumps and interstate speeds. A bunge cargo net !!!
That looks like a good time, T59. Ask around at your kayak shop to see if there are any kayak bass tournaments in your area.

I'm going limb lining for catfish on Friday-Saturday in my Jackson. I'll post some pics if we have success.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #172
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNDrew View Post
Heres my Yakima Outdoorsman racks with my 2 yaks loaded up.

What length cross bars are you using? I am building my own version of the outdoorsman probably in the next week or so.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #173
Bluenik25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nik
Bluenik25's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Tango59, Check out the TN Kayak Anglers and Southern Kayak Anglers forums and facebook pages. There is a TKA bass tournament the First week of June in Nashville if you are interested. Even if you are not into tournament fishing these are both a great group of guys. We would be glade to have you become a member of both clubs! If your ever around Chattanooga and want to fish any of the TN river system let me know. I have a fleet of fishing kayaks that anyone is welcome to try out if they are in the area.

You can also check the forums at Kayakbassfishing.com and Hook1 at kayakfishinggear.com. Those two resources will help answer any questions anyone has. As always I am also available if you have questions.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #174
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking for a sit on top for scuba diving. Take a look around on Craigslist. I've seem some really good deals on there. My main thing is my cold water scuba gear, myself, my tanks, food, snacks and other stuff all weigh around 350 pounds.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #175
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
I've been looking for a sit on top for scuba diving. Take a look around on Craigslist. I've seem some really good deals on there. My main thing is my cold water scuba gear, myself, my tanks, food, snacks and other stuff all weigh around 350 pounds.
Check out the Wilderness Systems Ride 135. It has a capacity of 550 lbs and is in a good price range. You may have a hard time finding one on craigslist. Once people paddle a Ride 135 they dont often sell them. I have one in my fleet and love it. I am able to stand in it on one leg and sit with my legs hanging off one side without ever feeling like it is going to flip. I suggest getting a 2012 version as it comes with the phase three air pro seat wich is much more comfortable than the seat in the 2011 version. If you find a deal on a 2011 version you can always purchase the phase three air pro seat later.

Another good option would be the Jackson Big Tuna
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #176
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Williams View Post
I fish small ponds, large reservoirs, and make regular runs to the salt where Ifish in the bays, and beyond the breakers and I will say it depends on the boaton whether a rudder is really necessary or not. I have 4 yaks, two are prettyflat on bottom (Manta Ray 15 and a cheap one out of Dicks) and 2 have a largebump that runs the center line of the boat (Ocean Prowler 15 and a cheap oneout of Academy) the two flat bottom boats i need the rudder to keep from gettingwind cocked while paddling. I have fished when the wind was blowing 25mph andgusting over35mph with 3-4 swells, I don’t recommend that but it sure is fun toplay in the waves. LOL If you a paddling long distances a rudder is great tomake small correction in your directions without having to break your paddlingcadence or loss of momentum no matter the weather condition. If I am going topaddle 90% of the time I will take my Manta Ray which has the rudder but thathas more to do with the seat then anything else. The drawback to having arudder is that it is another piece of equipment that can and will fail on youso be prepared to be without it. If your fishing shallow waters 2-3 or less you’regoing to have to pull it up or risk snagging it on the bottom when you leastexpect it, possibly breaking the rudder or worse case pulling it off the backof your boat. I have bent the hell out of mine on a rock and it was useless forthe half of the week long trip till I got a replacement at a local shop.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #177
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke01 View Post
Ifish small ponds, large reservoirs, and make regular runs to the salt where Ifish in the bays, and beyond the breakers and I will say it depends on the boaton whether a rudder is really necessary or not. I have 4 yaks, two are prettyflat on bottom (Manta Ray 15 and a cheap one out of Dicks) and 2 have a largebump that runs the center line of the boat (Ocean Prowler 15 and a cheap oneout of Academy) the two flat bottom boats i need the rudder to keep from gettingwind cocked while paddling. I have fished when the wind was blowing 25mph andgusting over35mph with 3-4 swells, I don’t recommend that but it sure is fun toplay in the waves. LOL If you a paddling long distances a rudder is great tomake small correction in your directions without having to break your paddlingcadence or loss of momentum no matter the weather condition. If I am going topaddle 90% of the time I will take my Manta Ray which has the rudder but thathas more to do with the seat then anything else. The drawback to having arudder is that it is another piece of equipment that can and will fail on youso be prepared to be without it. If your fishing shallow waters 2-3 or less you’regoing to have to pull it up or risk snagging it on the bottom when you leastexpect it, possibly breaking the rudder or worse case pulling it off the backof your boat. I have bent the hell out of mine on a rock and it was useless forthe half of the week long trip till I got a replacement at a local shop.
I agree with Luke. It is all in the boat and waters you paddle. I don't personally use a rudder and if I had one it may have been used five times last year. While paddling, a shorter boat will benefit from a rudder more than a longer boat. Longer boats tend to track better because of the longer keel. The times when a rudder would have come in hand for me were when the wind was blowing so hard I had little business being on the water. They can help you drift and stay in position while freeing up you hands for the important stuff...Fishing.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #180
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenik25 View Post
Tango59, Check out the TN Kayak Anglers and Southern Kayak Anglers forums and facebook pages. There is a TKA bass tournament the First week of June in Nashville if you are interested. Even if you are not into tournament fishing these are both a great group of guys. We would be glade to have you become a member of both clubs! If your ever around Chattanooga and want to fish any of the TN river system let me know. I have a fleet of fishing kayaks that anyone is welcome to try out if they are in the area.

You can also check the forums at Kayakbassfishing.com and Hook1 at kayakfishinggear.com. Those two resources will help answer any questions anyone has. As always I am also available if you have questions.
I wish I was in east TN.... Left TN sucks