Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing out of a kayak?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Fishing out of a kayak?

Does anyone have a Kayak they fish out of?
I was thinking about getting one but have no idea what to look for.
I'll be doing mostly flats fishing in no more than 6 feet of water. Typically I'll be in 2 feet of less.
Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get?
Or better yet pics of theirs loaded in their Tacoma?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to take up kayak fishing but im to chicken shit i have heard some crazy stories of thresher sharks hitting the boat seals getting close and knocking them over and they are only a mile if that from shore, one of these days i will do it.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Wilderness Systems & Mad River sell fishing sell fishing model kayaks.
I have Wilderness Pungo 120 which they also market a fish model in. It has plenty of room to move around, a very comfortable phase III seating system, is flatter so its stable yet tracks well & takes a beating. I've gone remote camping in it with my friend Kurt who fished in his. I take the pictures.

Pic of it on my tacoma. Mine cost around $550 a couple a years ago with hiking club discount.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 14' Liquid Logic Pisgah that I use to get to fishing spots, but most people I know that actually fish from their kayak have sit-on-top models. They're more stable and most hang their legs over the sides (straddling the boat, essentially) for added stability when casting and reeling stuff in.

Not sure what you'll be after but I obviously wouldn't recommend the above technique with toothy fish.

Hobie and Ocean Kayak are pretty popular amongst fishermen around here.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Cap is on a distinguished road

Cap's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy swears by his hobie fishing kayak. His has the hobie mirage drive (peddle system).

Here is a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/mode...fisherman.html
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
=T=
Tman12 will become famous soon enough

Name: Taryn
Tman12's Tacoma Gallery
Me and my dad fish out of a wilderness system in rivers a lot. It gets kinda tight sometimes but it gets the job done.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
My buddy swears by his hobie fishing kayak. His has the hobie mirage drive (peddle system).

Here is a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/mode...fisherman.html
I was wondering about those. That'd be sweet to get me where I want to go faster. They have a tug of war video on their page, 1 guy pedaling vs two guys paddling and the 1 guy wins.
The only problem is that I like to fish in shallow water and the fins might get in the way, I see they fold up though. I wonder if it has a button or lever you can push to bring them all the way up.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I'm looking at something like this too... Just something simple to start off that I can tool around a lake in, fish from, etc... The hobie is pretty awesome and I'd love to get the sails for it, but MAN they are expensive!!

Anyone recommend a cheaper one to start with?
Longhorn, Do you have any dedicated local kayak/canoe outfitters? Those places will sell blemished /factory 2nds, demos, or last year models even less expensive than new. Some even carry consignments and offer events where you can go try them out before buying.

Perception makes a pretty decent inexpensive 10' model as does Wilderness with a Pungo 100. If I was gonna buy a spare that is what I'd get.
By far, kayaking is my favorite outdoor activity come nicer weather here. VT/NH/Maine ponds/lakes offer plenty of opportunity. I'd imagine the same holds true in Minnesota.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Longhorn, Do you have any dedicated local kayak/canoe outfitters? Those places will sell blemished /factory 2nds, demos, or last year models even less expensive than new. Some even carry consignments and offer events where you can go try them out before buying.

Perception makes a pretty decent inexpensive 10' model as does Wilderness with a Pungo 100. If I was gonna buy a spare that is what I'd get.
By far, kayaking is my favorite outdoor activity come nicer weather here. VT/NH/Maine ponds/lakes offer plenty of opportunity. I'd imagine the same holds true in Minnesota.
I really don't know, but I know who I could ask... I guess that's the next best thing!

And yes, the same holds true for Minnesota!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
I was out at the bar earlier and saw my brother's fiance's uncle who is a Captain on a boat that does fishing charters in Costa Rica. He said the newest thing they're doing down there is hauling kayaks off shore and letting people hook up with sailfish in them.. Pretty cool to be able to say you landed a 6 foot billfish from a kayak.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
if you just want to try it, rent one!

Or look on craigslist
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Look into piroughs. Thats what we use. You have a fair amount of room for anchor, food, cooler, stringer etc...
Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about a kayak but I've used my canoe on the flats many a time. A buddy and I take it along in his boat to the railroad bridge on the Banana River on the East Coast and take the canoe from there up into the no motor zone after big reds. We put it in my boat and use the canoe in the no motor zone in Cockroach Bay and behind Windom Island in Tampa Bay on the West Coast.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Me and a buddy decided to look for sand dollars. We hit a sand bar with LOTS of sand dollars. We capsized, open water with a family of jellyfish below our feet. We had to swim back 75 yards or so. pulling our kayak.

Not fun
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #16
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered a float tube??
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
float tube??
Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Future Beach Trophy 126. It's got a dihedral hull, kind of like the opposite of a tri-hull found on boats. I'm not sure how good the brand is, but the kayak is really stable compared to a V or U shaped kayak hull. Mine's a sit-in that I just use in rivers and lakes. They make some sit on top models too, which would be better for salt water fishing. It's my first kayak and so far I've been happy with it, except that the seat can be kind of uncomfortable. Got it at a Dick's last fall on sale for around $400.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #19
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
float tube??

Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #20
"Kill BABIES"
Re8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRe8elmonk0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Bn 7th Marine Kilo Co. Weapons PLT - Infantry Mortarman
Name: m0nk
Re8elmonk0341's Tacoma Gallery
I use to have a Malibu Extreme fishing kayak it it was awesome. What do you need to know bout yak fishing?

Or check out this site http://baytubers.com/