1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fishing out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Hardcorehehaw, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw [OP] 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Does anyone have a Kayak they fish out of?
    I was thinking about getting one but have no idea what to look for.
    I'll be doing mostly flats fishing in no more than 6 feet of water. Typically I'll be in 2 feet of less.
    Does anyone have suggestions on what I should get?
    Or better yet pics of theirs loaded in their Tacoma?

2. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I wanted to take up kayak fishing but im to chicken shit i have heard some crazy stories of thresher sharks hitting the boat seals getting close and knocking them over and they are only a mile if that from shore, one of these days i will do it.

3. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Wilderness Systems & Mad River sell fishing sell fishing model kayaks.
    I have Wilderness Pungo 120 which they also market a fish model in. It has plenty of room to move around, a very comfortable phase III seating system, is flatter so its stable yet tracks well & takes a beating. I've gone remote camping in it with my friend Kurt who fished in his. I take the pictures.

Pic of it on my tacoma. Mine cost around $550 a couple a years ago with hiking club discount.

[​IMG]

4. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    I've got a 14' Liquid Logic Pisgah that I use to get to fishing spots, but most people I know that actually fish from their kayak have sit-on-top models. They're more stable and most hang their legs over the sides (straddling the boat, essentially) for added stability when casting and reeling stuff in.

Not sure what you'll be after but I obviously wouldn't recommend the above technique with toothy fish. ;)

Hobie and Ocean Kayak are pretty popular amongst fishermen around here.

5. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Cap

Cap Active Member

Member:
    Montgomery County, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    Hook78 and bongwhisperer like this.
  6. Mar 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    Tman12

Tman12 =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited Double Cab 4x4
    Brush Guard, Flowmaster,Infinity 12" Sub,Vent Visors, Michelin AT2,Powder Coated stock alloy rims, yakima roof rack and bike mounts.
    Me and my dad fish out of a wilderness system in rivers a lot. It gets kinda tight sometimes but it gets the job done.

7. Mar 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    I was wondering about those. That'd be sweet to get me where I want to go faster. They have a tug of war video on their page, 1 guy pedaling vs two guys paddling and the 1 guy wins.
    The only problem is that I like to fish in shallow water and the fins might get in the way, I see they fold up though. I wonder if it has a button or lever you can push to bring them all the way up.

8. Mar 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I'm looking at something like this too... Just something simple to start off that I can tool around a lake in, fish from, etc... The hobie is pretty awesome and I'd love to get the sails for it, but MAN they are expensive!!

Anyone recommend a cheaper one to start with?

9. Mar 13, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Longhorn, Do you have any dedicated local kayak/canoe outfitters? Those places will sell blemished /factory 2nds, demos, or last year models even less expensive than new. Some even carry consignments and offer events where you can go try them out before buying.

Perception makes a pretty decent inexpensive 10' model as does Wilderness with a Pungo 100. If I was gonna buy a spare that is what I'd get.
    By far, kayaking is my favorite outdoor activity come nicer weather here. VT/NH/Maine ponds/lakes offer plenty of opportunity. I'd imagine the same holds true in Minnesota. :thumbsup:

10. Mar 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I really don't know, but I know who I could ask... I guess that's the next best thing!

And yes, the same holds true for Minnesota!

11. Mar 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    I was out at the bar earlier and saw my brother's fiance's uncle who is a Captain on a boat that does fishing charters in Costa Rica. He said the newest thing they're doing down there is hauling kayaks off shore and letting people hook up with sailfish in them.. Pretty cool to be able to say you landed a 6 foot billfish from a kayak.

12. Mar 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    if you just want to try it, rent one!

Or look on craigslist

13. Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Look into piroughs. Thats what we use. You have a fair amount of room for anchor, food, cooler, stringer etc...

14. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I don't know about a kayak but I've used my canoe on the flats many a time. A buddy and I take it along in his boat to the railroad bridge on the Banana River on the East Coast and take the canoe from there up into the no motor zone after big reds. We put it in my boat and use the canoe in the no motor zone in Cockroach Bay and behind Windom Island in Tampa Bay on the West Coast.

15. Mar 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Me and a buddy decided to look for sand dollars. We hit a sand bar with LOTS of sand dollars. We capsized, open water with a family of jellyfish below our feet. We had to swim back 75 yards or so. pulling our kayak.

Not fun

16. Mar 28, 2009 at 12:45 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    have you considered a float tube??

17. Mar 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    float tube??

18. Mar 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I've got a Future Beach Trophy 126. It's got a dihedral hull, kind of like the opposite of a tri-hull found on boats. I'm not sure how good the brand is, but the kayak is really stable compared to a V or U shaped kayak hull. Mine's a sit-in that I just use in rivers and lakes. They make some sit on top models too, which would be better for salt water fishing. It's my first kayak and so far I've been happy with it, except that the seat can be kind of uncomfortable. Got it at a Dick's last fall on sale for around $400.

19. Mar 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mar 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4
    I use to have a Malibu Extreme fishing kayak it it was awesome. What do you need to know bout yak fishing?

Or check out this site http://baytubers.com/

To Top