1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tip-Up Ice Trap Storage Solution

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Mr Souc, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jan 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Fellow Ice Fisherman!

I'm looking for a storage solution for my ice fishing gear. I have an OLD pack basket but it is falling apart and I'm seeking a more modern solution with multiple pockets for all my gear and 5 tip-up traps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Jan 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Try a bucket tool bag with a 5gal bucket.
    Just saying ...

3. Jan 28, 2014 at 5:01 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Yeah, that's the route I have been going latley.

I'm looking at more of a pack-able solution. Since I don't have a sled or wheeler, and I don't have the stones to drive my truck out on the ice, I find myself hoofing it most times to get to my fishing spots. I use my jetsled once out on the ice, I was just seeing if anyone had a handy solution to stick my gear on my back.

Thanks for the input!

4. Jan 28, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    speyguy

speyguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta, BFG AT, Weathertech Digital Fits, AVS Bug Deflector II
    I bought a cheap children’s sled and use that when the snow is down to get my gear on the ice. I just lash everything down with some cord and I’m good to go.

Like you I use a big back pack for everything when there is no snow.

A hybrid fly vest might fit the bill, I picked one up from LL Bean a few years back and I really like it for trout fishing when I decide to make a day of it. It’s got quite a bit of room. I think it was $100 usd. It’s kind of like a small backpack with loads of pockets. Just not sure if the backpack part would be deep enough for the tip-ups.

Next season I think I’m going to get one of those one man flip up shelters, the shelter is attached to the sled so you can move everything together.

I’m to the north of you in NS, what do you fish for in Maine? Assuming brook trout? We can’t fish natural lakes here(thank god, our brook trout would be annihilated), just a stocked winter fishery.

5. Jan 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hey speyguy!

I'll have to look into that Beans vest. I was also thinking of looking in to a LARGE back duffle pack with a drawstring top closure and just have the top of the tip-ups poking through the top of the pack...

I mostly fish for Brookies, Landlocked Salmon, Bass, and Pike. Pike is a favorite, you can catch some MONSTERS in a few local holes.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top