Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

First bait caster rod and reel

Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #41
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
Do I need a left or right handed reel? I usually cast with my right hand so does that mean I need to get a left handed reel? Are in stores a lot of time or do I need to order those off the internet? I know my buddy that I fish with casts with his right and then then still retrieves with his right hand he just had to switch hands onces the lure hits the water.
I think they do make lefty baitcasters. Probably harder to find in a store and you'll have fewer to choose from, just like guns and guitars. I learned how to fish with a zebco and cast with and retrieve with the reel in my left hand, so the transition to a baitcaster was easy. I swap the handle on my spinning reels so I can fish the same way with them, but I cast a spinning reel with my right hand.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #42
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of rod do I need to be looking at. Nothing over $100 the cheaper the better but I know you get what you pay for.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
anthonyj326 is on a distinguished road

Name: anthony
anthonyj326's Tacoma Gallery
H20 express mettle. From academy. Best bang for your buck bait caster. It's a hidden gem
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #44
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What kind of rod do I need to be looking at. Nothing over $100 the cheaper the better but I know you get what you pay for.
I bought my BlackMax as a package so thats the rod I use with it. It's a 6.5' MH. Anything over $50 should be good, below that you get into some junk.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #45
Who makes the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reel?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #46
Also, I was talking to the guy I go fishing with on his boat and I was asking if he used any weights on his plastic worms since baitcasters normally don't like light lures. He said he doesn't use weights, he just makes a weedless hook and ties the worm, lizard, or senko on the line and thats it.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #47
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, I was talking to the guy I go fishing with on his boat and I was asking if he used any weights on his plastic worms since baitcasters normally don't like light lures. He said he doesn't use weights, he just makes a weedless hook and ties the worm, lizard, or senko on the line and thats it.
That's interesting, seems like it would be hard to throw. I use a 1/8oz bullet weight on top of a worm with an O'shaughnessy hook.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
That's what I was wondering. He likes the Gary Yamamoto plastics. I'm not sure how he has his baitcaster set up. You think if the brake was all the way on it wouldn't backlash without any weight