Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Ocean Kayak 13 - Talk me out of it?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Ocean Kayak 13 - Talk me out of it?

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...ent_13_angler/

I've wanted a fishing kayak for a couple years now. I will be fishing mostly crappie and smallmouth in medium to large lakes, and perhaps doing some river trips on smallish rivers in southern MO. I don't really need something stable enough to stand in and I want to be able to cruise at a decent speed in order to set jug lines, etc.

Anyone want to talk me out of the Ocean Kayak 13? Is there a better fishing kayak out there for $1000? Any experience with the Ocean Kayak or others like it?

Any input is welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
whoareyou133 is on a distinguished road
whoareyou133's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/ang...ent_13_angler/

I've wanted a fishing kayak for a couple years now. I will be fishing mostly crappie and smallmouth in medium to large lakes, and perhaps doing some river trips on smallish rivers in southern MO. I don't really need something stable enough to stand in and I want to be able to cruise at a decent speed in order to set jug lines, etc.

Anyone want to talk me out of the Ocean Kayak 13? Is there a better fishing kayak out there for $1000? Any experience with the Ocean Kayak or others like it?

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

Not familiar with prices but i say do it one of the best past times out there. I'm planning on getting one within a couple of months myself.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
That's a tough one. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 would be a good one. I have a 120, but if I could do it over again, I'd probably go with one of these for the better cargo capacity.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...olo-Kayak.html
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoareyou133 View Post
Not familiar with prices but i say do it one of the best past times out there. I'm planning on getting one within a couple of months myself.
Agreed. I love to fish. We did canoe trips every summer as a kid, and I loved it. I'm pretty competent in a canoe, but I don't always have a fishing buddy to paddle a canoe around with. A fishing kayak seems like a great way to get out on the water more when I have to go solo.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Not going to talk you out of that! Nice yak! I have been considering a Nucanoe but I do a bit more fly fishing and would need some standing capability.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Not going to talk you out of that! Nice yak! I have been considering a Nucanoe but I do a bit more fly fishing and would need some standing capability.
I looked hard at the NuCanoe too, especially since it's so easy to add a trolling motor to! I want something that's somewhat fast though, and the NuCanoe seems like a dog (a very, very stable dog).
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
bongwhisperer is on a distinguished road
bongwhisperer's Tacoma Gallery
Get a hobie with mirage drive
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
KielerTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Kiel
KielerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You will love yak fishing. My brother and I have Jackson Coosas. If you are looking to do open water I'd look into the Jackson Cuda. They are a bit more pricy but check them out. I'll see if I can post a couple pics from my last couple outings last year. You can get to places most people don't even think about fishing.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Checked out Manta Rays, Big Rigs and some other kayaks locally. Ended up ordering a Trident 13 tonight sight unseen. Hope it doesn't burn me, but everyone loves the Trident so I'm not worried. The Jackson Big Rig was awesome but over $500 more and I just couldn't justify the extra $$. Now I need to figure out where I'm going to keep the thing.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
schwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
schwangster's Tacoma Gallery
We had Jackson Cuda 12s. Great kayaks. Supposedly a little quicker than the Ocean 13, but I didn't compare. Lots of great features, all based on RAM mounts.
Ended up selling them just before leaving Baja for home. We're looking to get 2 more, although my wife may just go for the Cruise 12, which is the Cuda without all the attachments.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11

Took delivery today - got it all rigged up. Can't wait to break it out on the water!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
schwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shedschwangster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
schwangster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice one. I like the color.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
Dad
buzhazzard is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
buzhazzard's Tacoma Gallery
You will love it. We are crappie fishing this weekend at Choke Canyon State Park in Texas.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #14

Holy cats - just got back from 3 hours on the water jug fishing. What a blast! I can be across a big lake in just a few minutes, without the noise of a motor. I didn't think of reverse, but being able to back up easily is great for checking jug lines. We caught one 3 lb channel cat. I'll be back out tomorrow morning for more!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
I have an ocean kayak (11') that I have been fishing for a couple years. I had a wilderness systems tarpon before that, but didn't like the way it handled as much. I have seen people using perception with a lot of rigging just as well as a wilderness systems.

Nothing beats a hobie though. They are just too expensive for a new one.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #16
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to get into the kayak fishing thing myself! I got a Field and Stream Eagle Talon 12 kayak. I love it so far! Easy to stand in, fast enough for me, and it gets me out on the water so what's not to like? I have the Camo color scheme.