Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

DIY: Bed Rail Fishing Rod Holder

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Bed Rail Fishing Rod Holder

I've seen a few people ask about mounting fishing rod holders in there beds and not wanting to drill into there beds and I've also had a lot of people ask about how i did mine.
Im gonna go ahead and pre apologize for the crappy cell pics but you should get the point.

Parts:
2x 1/2inch carriage bolts
4x 1/2inch nuts
2x 1/2inch washers
1x Fishing rod holder
1/2inch drill bit (drill press is recommended but not necessary)

For a fishing rod holder i used a Blacktip three rod rod holder:

Start by drilling out the original mounting holes on your rod holder with the 1/2inch drill bit

Go from this:

To this:

Next slide your carriage bolts into the truck rail at the same distance of your mounting holes. the head of the 1/2inch carriage bolt slides perfectly into our bed rails. then add a washer and a nut to secure the bolt into the rail. theres no need to tighten more than finger tight.

Next put your rod holders on by putting the end of the carriage bolt into the half inch holes you drilled in your rod holder and finger tighten bolts over the ends.

I know the pictures aren't the best and ill add better pics when i get the chance.
questions comments or concerns?
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
PyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant future

Name: Bill
PyritePirateBill's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Phoenix, Thanks for this DIY tip. I made one for my tacoma today. Less than $20 spent and took all of 15 minutes to make & mount. Those bolts fit perfectly in the bed-rails, although I had to go with the 3" long carriage bolts. Maybe because I used a Berkeley 3-rod holder and may have been a little thicker where you drill it out. Thanks again from a fellow angler!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyritePirateBill View Post
Hey Phoenix, Thanks for this DIY tip. I made one for my tacoma today. Less than $20 spent and took all of 15 minutes to make & mount. Those bolts fit perfectly in the bed-rails, although I had to go with the 3" long carriage bolts. Maybe because I used a Berkeley 3-rod holder and may have been a little thicker where you drill it out. Thanks again from a fellow angler!
Let's see some pics! I'm glad I can help some people out and prevent them from drilling into there bed lol.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
PyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant futurePyritePirateBill has a brilliant future

Name: Bill
PyritePirateBill's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good bud
Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
ready6delta
ready6delta is on a distinguished road
Army: DRILL SGT
ready6delta's Tacoma Gallery
Nice well done!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Ima jack and install on my bed bars
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
Ima jack and install on my bed bars

That would be pretty damn sweet!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #9
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, nice write up! Makes me want to go surf fishing
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
Hey, nice write up! Makes me want to go surf fishing

Thanks! I carry all of my buddies rods in it when we take trips and I pack my fly rod up in its case lol it doesn't do well in the wind
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #11
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! I have the same rod holders attached a little differently. I used corner brackets and just set it between the cab and bed so I could get it off quickly. Comes in handy.
I also attached flag pole holders on either side so I could fly flags on the beach
Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Looks great! I have the same rod holders attached a little differently. I used corner brackets and just set it between the cab and bed so I could get it off quickly. Comes in handy.
I also attached flag pole holders on either side so I could fly flags on the beach

As long as you leave them finger tight there pretty easy to get off. I have another hole drilled in my rod holders now so I can lay the rods more at an angle. I'll post pics later today
Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
Travesty will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement:
Travesty's Tacoma Gallery
Where did yall buy the fishing rod holder?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post

I got mine from West marine. I got the black tip 3 rod holder
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #15

Quote:

These would work
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XA...110_SY165_QL70
Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #16
You gonna eat your cornbread?
Possum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shedPossum Fat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Possum Fat's Tacoma Gallery
Picked mine up from the boating section of Walmart. Mine is a Berkeley 3 rod holder like the OPs.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #17
Travesty will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement:
Travesty's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, going to try to knock this out today. Probably can get all the parts from Wally World lol
Old 08-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Sweet, going to try to knock this out today. Probably can get all the parts from Wally World lol

I'm not sure about the carriage bolts at walmart but you never know lol

Post some pics when your done!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #19

Old 08-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I got mine at Gander Mtn. But you can get then anywhere

Products Discussed in this Thread