Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Most effective way to haul a canoe or kayak (no trailer)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
Outsider is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorabally Discharged Staff Sergent
Name: Nick
Outsider's Tacoma Gallery
Most effective way to haul a canoe or kayak (no trailer)

I have a 14 double cab short bed...I want to get a canoe again..I used to have a home made hitch hauler that was even with the top of my old truck, it came out of the hitch 90 up and had a cross bar to support the canoe, the front of the canoe sat on the cab of the truck. It worked great but, one day my truck got pollen/dust on it while i was on the water and the pads on my cab slipped and caused some roof damage....

So, what is the best option to carry a 16' canoe that weights around 65-85 pounds? Thule and Yakima have bed rack options but upon reading reivews, i am not too sure they are the best option. I do not want the craft to hit my roof whatsoever... I have been looking into a frame that fits into the bed made out of tubing that extends about 4" above the cab..Looks like it could be the best way to go about it...

Suggestions?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Bonafide Lover
AutoEntropy is on a distinguished road

Name: Jaeger
AutoEntropy's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this might be the best option.

http://www.realtruck.com/tracrac-t-r...zkzab3Ryvw_wcB
Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
That looks like a solid option...I wonder if anyone on here is using those?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
F' YEAH!
Murica is on a distinguished road
Murica's Tacoma Gallery
I made this rack this weekend for my canoe and kayaks I have a short bed as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Most effective way to haul a canoe or kayak (no trailer)-blue-moose.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
This would be the cheapest option for you.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
I dont know if i was clear or not...I dont' want anything to touch the cab of my truck...Those blocks caused my old truck damage and I am not going that route...I am not worried about the cost too awful much...
Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Bonafide Lover
AutoEntropy is on a distinguished road

Name: Jaeger
AutoEntropy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
That looks like a solid option...I wonder if anyone on here is using those?
I have never used but I have been looking into getting a 2 kayaks soon. Been looking at these.

No idea about kayaks though... Any suggestions on kayaks ~$500
Old 06-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Jeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeyr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeyr
Jeyr's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't want to get into the kayaks too deep check at Dick's sporting goods at the end of the season I saw some pretty crazy sales there. You could probably get both boats for under 500.00
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
jaymoussy is on a distinguished road
jaymoussy's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murica View Post
I made this rack this weekend for my canoe and kayaks I have a short bed as well!
I would like to know more about the upright attachement method, please (sent a PM to Murica, actuallly)

Once you are properly anchored uprights you can do configure most anything... within reason!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 AM   #10
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoEntropy View Post
Something like this might be the best option.

http://www.realtruck.com/tracrac-t-r...zkzab3Ryvw_wcB
I have these. carry 2-3 kayaks. love it.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #11
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I just throw my 15' canoe in the bed and tie a red flag on the end. But I live in the sticks.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Rather than just throwing it in the back of the truck, you can just throw it in the back of the truck like this.............

Much easier for those close trips than rigging up the Thule Xsporter and hoisting 60lb kayaks up over cab height on that rack. But for longer trips where the bed might need to hold other stuff, it rules.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Don't Compromise; Notarize!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murica View Post
X2.
Just build a rack. You can knock one together in an afternoon for about $30 of KD Spruce and a cheap can of paint, or about $50 of PT. I built one 10 years ago and it's still perfectly solid. Plus it leaves your bed free for other stuff like camping gear.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
wake100 is on a distinguished road
wake100's Tacoma Gallery

the only one i have...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
xbiker is on a distinguished road

xbiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Rather than just throwing it in the back of the truck, you can just throw it in the back of the truck like this.............

Much easier for those close trips than rigging up the Thule Xsporter and hoisting 60lb kayaks up over cab height on that rack. But for longer trips where the bed might need to hold other stuff, it rules.
I've been searching for this T-rack pictured above and can't find it anywhere (other than US Rack and they've discontinued this model). It would be perfect for hauling a 14 ft sail boat. Could you share where you located it?--Thanks.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #16
jwilly is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
jwilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbiker View Post
I've been searching for this T-rack pictured above and can't find it anywhere (other than US Rack and they've discontinued this model). It would be perfect for hauling a 14 ft sail boat. Could you share where you located it?--Thanks.
I picked one up a harbor freight. Added some red/white reflective tape to it and tie a red something onto the yak.

http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-b...der-69650.html
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll post some pics up latter. But i drive a 1995 Tacoma and i have the standard bed, i have two ascend 10 foot kayaks.. i first put one kayak in (flat and at a angle) then i put the other one on it, i use 3 ratchet straps.
Really easy, and that's how i do it.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbiker View Post
I bought it off someone in the TX Classified thread on here but as was posted above, Harbor Freight would be a good place to start...IIRC, theirs was 90 new.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
xbiker is on a distinguished road

xbiker's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks--
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
mdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmdcmn7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Chuck
mdcmn7's Tacoma Gallery
I have the harbor freight one, found it on sale and with a coupon it was under $50

Wish I had that before I got my Thule rack 😧

Products Discussed in this Thread