Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fly fishing...first timer questions

Old 08-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
Fly fishing...first timer questions

This will be my first time fly fishing and I've been practicing in my yard but I can't seem to get much distance out of my fly...maybe 25 yards, what's the technique here?

Also as far as equipment what will I need? I have the whole rod and your standard fishing equipment and a pair of waders...what all is recommended?

Thanks for any advise!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
First let me say that I am no expert fly fisherman..

Do you know the weight the rod is rated for (line weight, should be marked near the brand of the rod) as well as the reel, and what line weight is on the reel? That could be an issue. If a rod is rated for #6 WF line and you're using say #3 WF line it could be the rod is too stiff for the lighter weight. As apposed to bait cast type of fishing, fly fishing relies on the weight of the line to cast the fly, where as in bait cast, the weight of the lure pulls the line long in the cast.

As for technique, try not to flex your wrist while making the casting motion. Choose a position of comfort for you in the grip .. like thumb along the top in line with the rod, and pointer finger curled under.. keeping your wrist from flexing will help the rod flex as its intended to do in the cast. If your rod is a slow or moderate action rod your casting motion will need to be at a slower pace. If it's a fast action, then a faster pace. More often, todays graphite rods are in the faster category. Usually a slow action is a traditional bamboo rod. But, some companies make moderate speed rods too, but they are usually a pricier rod.

You can do a little research on the net to see what reel you have and what line it's rated for. Post on here and if I'm familiar with the reel I may know.. but often you can find the info. As for the line, unless you put it on yourself, you probably wont be able to tell what it is.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Idaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud ofIdaho has much to be proud of
Army:
Idaho's Tacoma Gallery
If you ever make it over to the fort bragg area, I'll help you out.

In terms of gear, what are you intending to fish for and on what type of waters?

Also what are you expecting to cast...? 25 yards, or 75 feet is pretty substantial. Once the line starts lengthening, make sure you are patient. That combined with a firm/strong back and forward cast will pay dividends. Also, if you are short on space, check out the "double-haul" casting method. Basically you yank the line in as you are on the back cast and then again as you are going to shoot the line out. It will cause extra spring force in the rod which will shoot your line further.