1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

School me on boats.

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by 95 taco, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Aug 26, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I'm looking for a boat, it will be used in the bay (Bay St Louis), the rivers, the lakes, the marsh, and some in the gulf.
    I want something I can fish with but still hunt from (Hunting has priority), 16-21 foot, and aluminum.

I'd prefer a flat bottom with V up front, and shallow draft, center or side console, and built in fuel tank and live well.

This is basically what I want, but it's kinda pricy new, and they are just about impossible to find locally.
    http://www.loweboats.com/2014/hunting-boats/Roughneck-1860SC/

Any thoughts, ideas, input or anything?

2. Aug 27, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    keep an eye on CL. I just picked up a 16ft mod-v with a 40hp 2 stroke on the back for 6k. Trolling motor, stereo, etc...

I was in the same "boat":cool: as you and wanted something I could use in the bay and the intercoastal for reds but would also be good for fresh water and rivers for bumping it against stumps and such.

for my 16ft the 40 is about right. runs 30mph and I can get 3 or 4 long day trips out of a 6gal tank. Any smaller and i wouldnt be comfortable out in bigger water with the barges and such they have around here. any bigger and I wouldnt be able to get the fuel economy I do.

If you truly want a versatile boat dont give in and get glass. Glass is great but if you are going to be going shallow for hunting and such it is much more durable and can bang it around a bit more. I searched for nearly a year before I found mine. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I researched and looked at lots of boats before I got this one lookin to do the same thing you are lookin for

3. Aug 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    key words to search for I found are "duck boat", "aluminum", "hunting", and "john"/"jon". a lot of people have these boats incorrectly labeled as jon boats

4. Aug 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Bring Out Another Thousand?

Products Discussed in