Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Thinking about a used boat...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #21
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6up View Post
Check out either fish/ ski or ski/ fish models under the following manufactures:
Javelin
Stratos
Hydrasport
Tahoe
ProCraft

A fish/ ski model will be more fishing oriented with trolling motors/ live wells/ rod storage

A ski/ fish will be the opposite. Less fishing options but the same layout.

A fish/ski with a 90hp-150hp would be ideal for what you're looking for it sounds like. Anyhting over a 150hp motor is fun but not really practical on a fish/ski boat. Plus outboard motors are easier to maintain and winterize to me anyways
This is good to know, since I had NO CLUE how much power I would need...

Quote:
Inboards are usually 4 stroke car engines more or less. you can get a 2.0 4 cyl or you can get a blown 454 V8. The inboard motor is as complicated as the make of the motor. Some are very easy to work on and fairly cheap where others are outrageous just like cars. The most expensive difference is the outdrive on an inboard, this can be very costly when it goes out on certain makes.
An outboard is available either in a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. I'm not sure of maintenance costs on a 4-stroke but a 2 is fairly cheap if you can do the work yourself. Outboards are easier to work on obvisouly since the drive system and powerhead are outside the boat.
I would really like to work on it myself, just to learn about it. Also, just like my truck, if something breaks, I know a little more about how to fix it.

Also, cosmetically, I don't care if it's all perfect and fancy... I would have no problem replacing carpet, maybe some flooring if necessary, wiring, etc... I'd rather not start replacing all the seats and stuff, but I'm willing to do some work. However, I'd rather that the motor works good from the start.

What about dealers? Do marine dealers deal only in new boats or do they sell used as well? I was thinking that, since it would be my first, maybe there would be a little more sense of security on quality/reliability from a dealer. I don't mind paying a smidge more for that assurance, as long as it's warranted.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Evinrude 2 strokes are cheap to maintain although it might not last as long as a honda or a yamaha. but its all in how you use it. If you abuse it, it just isn't gonna last as long. Outboards are simpler to take care of you can take the engine off to work on it in your garage hell you can even run it up in a big barrel. inboards and stern drives yes there is a difference but for the size of boat you are looking for if you get an inboard engine it will be a stern drive (outboard style drive unit vs shaft) anyway inboards are harder to winterize than outboards.

When you go to buy look everywhere on the boat not just the bottom look on the inside of the hull if its accessable every nook and crany and cubby hole sometimes there have been pretty subtantial repairs to hulls that can't be seen from the outside.

Last piece of advice I have is don't look at the price of the boat as much as how much it will cost to run and maintain it. Sometimes going with a little bit more expensive unit will save you alot in the long run. Just an example, this is a larger vessle but I've seen ppl lose out of alot of money and eventualy just get rid of the thing cause they bought an older gas powered cruiser where if they would have spent a little bit extra the could have had a headache free diesel boat.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbrat View Post
Evinrude 2 strokes are cheap to maintain although it might not last as long as a honda or a yamaha. but its all in how you use it. If you abuse it, it just isn't gonna last as long. Outboards are simpler to take care of you can take the engine off to work on it in your garage hell you can even run it up in a big barrel. inboards and stern drives yes there is a difference but for the size of boat you are looking for if you get an inboard engine it will be a stern drive (outboard style drive unit vs shaft) anyway inboards are harder to winterize than outboards.

When you go to buy look everywhere on the boat not just the bottom look on the inside of the hull if its accessable every nook and crany and cubby hole sometimes there have been pretty subtantial repairs to hulls that can't be seen from the outside.

Last piece of advice I have is don't look at the price of the boat as much as how much it will cost to run and maintain it. Sometimes going with a little bit more expensive unit will save you alot in the long run. Just an example, this is a larger vessle but I've seen ppl lose out of alot of money and eventualy just get rid of the thing cause they bought an older gas powered cruiser where if they would have spent a little bit extra the could have had a headache free diesel boat.
Yep, good to know. I don't mind paying a little more for something if it's gonna be cheaper in the long run at all...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine it's the best picks I have It's a procraft 180 combo FS with 200 mercury I does 60 full load 67ish light load and low humidity trimed all the way out!! I would stay away from 4 stroke's due to Maintence they need oil changed and so on so forth mine's not very fuel efficient due to it being carburated If you want efficintcy go with a direct injection 2 stroke or EFI. Inboards and IO's are dont get good GMP's eitheir "gallon's per mile " If I were to change anything I would have gotten an mercury optimax.
Best pic I have of mine 18ft procrat f/s 200 Merc

Found another

Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Here's mine it's the best picks I have It's a procraft 180 combo FS with 200 mercury I does 60 full load 67ish light load and low humidity trimed all the way out!! I would stay away from 4 stroke's due to Maintence they need oil changed and so on so forth mine's not very fuel efficient due to it being carburated If you want efficintcy go with a direct injection 2 stroke or EFI. Inboards and IO's are dont get good GMP's eitheir "gallon's per mile " If I were to change anything I would have gotten an mercury optimax.
Best pic I have of mine 18ft procrat f/s 200 Merc

Found another

this is a perfect boat for all around fun. I got to fish out of this exact same model about two weeks ago and it works great for fishing or cruising. the boat i was on only had a 150 Merc but i think the only difference would be about 7-10 mph slower.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
chrisrothrock2000 is on a distinguished road

chrisrothrock2000's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to buy used definitely go for a test drive. Also - when you typically buy a boat the motor is the most expensive part. One other note - check if there is an hour meter and ask him for service logs. Here is a pic of my baby! 2002 Nitro Tracker .... Bass boat with a deeper hull

Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #27

Quote:
this is a perfect boat for all around fun. I got to fish out of this exact same model about two weeks ago and it works great for fishing or cruising. the boat i was on only had a 150 Merc but i think the only difference would be about 7-10 mph slower.
I actually looked at this one on their website just a few minutes before he posted his pics... I would "rather" have an open bow with seating, but I understand this way makes it easier to fish from so I'm willing to make that trade off.

And as far as speed, I could really care less about going 60 mph as opposed to 50mph. I'm not looking for speed out of this starter boat, just something fun, reliable, comfortable, etc... What would a 100hp motor get me for speed? I mean I want to go faster than 25, but I don't care about 50... And I know the motor is the expensive part so I'll sacrifice a smaller motor for a cheaper boat right now.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #28

What about dealers? Do marine dealers deal only in new boats or do they sell used as well? I was thinking that, since it would be my first, maybe there would be a little more sense of security on quality/reliability from a dealer. I don't mind paying a smidge more for that assurance, as long as it's warranted.[/quote]

If it was me buying a boat for the first time i would go to a dealer and start looking at used boats. People trade in perfectly good boats all the time just like a car dealership becaseu the either don't like the set-up or need something faster ect. Plus a dealer will offer some reassurance on a used boat as far as engine reliabilty. You might have to look or call several dealerships but almost every dealer has used boats and alot of them are fish/ski combos just like you are looking for.

one more thing... if you are looking at a boat with a 150hp motor or larger i would suggest getting one with hydrolic steering. the torque in an outboard has a tendency to pull hte motor to one side when driving at higher speeds or accelerating but the hydrolic steering eliminates that. It's not bad once you get used to it but it takes a little bit to learn how to drive a boat with a 150 + motor on it.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
I actually looked at this one on their website just a few minutes before he posted his pics... I would "rather" have an open bow with seating, but I understand this way makes it easier to fish from so I'm willing to make that trade off.

And as far as speed, I could really care less about going 60 mph as opposed to 50mph. I'm not looking for speed out of this starter boat, just something fun, reliable, comfortable, etc... What would a 100hp motor get me for speed? I mean I want to go faster than 25, but I don't care about 50... And I know the motor is the expensive part so I'll sacrifice a smaller motor for a cheaper boat right now.

it's hard to tell what hp will = what speed just because of boat weight/ drag ect. If you had a 100hp motor on say a 15-1800lb boat then you would get in the 40-50mph range without extensive set-up. A 150hp motor will probably be cheaper just because it is the most common.

also an opened deck up fron in a boat sometimes can have a platform added from the dealer for fishing. this way you got the best of both worlds.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #30

Quote:
it's hard to tell what hp will = what speed just because of boat weight/ drag ect. If you had a 100hp motor on say a 15-1800lb boat then you would get in the 40-50mph range without extensive set-up. A 150hp motor will probably be cheaper just because it is the most common.
This makes sense...

Quote:
also an opened deck up fron in a boat sometimes can have a platform added from the dealer for fishing. this way you got the best of both worlds.
Ah, this is good to know as well! Definitely will look in to this...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #31

I have a 150 hp - fuel injected Mercury Outboard and I can do 55 mph tops...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrothrock2000 View Post
I have a 150 hp - fuel injected Mercury Outboard and I can do 55 mph tops...
what kind of boat? are you running an adjustable jack plate? also what pitch prop?

we have set-up some boats to run 70 + with just a 150 on them
Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #33

I posted a pic of my boat above.... 18.5 foot Nitro/Tracker Targa. 2002

No adjustable jack plate .... I can change it manually but not the automatic. Not sure on the prop pitch.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #34
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah per 25 hp i think you only gain 2-4 mph.

I try to keep the rpm's below 3500 or it suck's the gas.

http://www.procraftboats.com/

you can check power/motor's at the top of the page.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #35
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
Outboards are so reliable anymore.

Depending if you want to sleep on it or not, find an older 20 foot boston whaler outrage that needs a little elbow grease. It will take a 200 horse outboard. I had one back in the late 1980s early 1990s. Fun little boat. Built like a tank. I ran a Johnson on it. Some one the newer ones, though, have hydraulic steering - which is awesome. Mine didnt have that though.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrothrock2000 View Post
I posted a pic of my boat above.... 18.5 foot Nitro/Tracker Targa. 2002

No adjustable jack plate .... I can change it manually but not the automatic. Not sure on the prop pitch.
my bad, i totaly missed the pic post. I see that you have a 4 blade prop which is great for hole shot and midrange. that's a nice boat but you're right you want get much more speed out of the deep hulled boat.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Some of the 2-strokes have a device to automatically add the oil to the gas, some of them you have to manually mix it yourself. Also keep in mind that if the auto-oiler quits working your engine could be toast in short order. My old bass tracker has an auto-oiler but I don't trust it. I add it myself so I don't have to worry about it. Something to keep in mind especially if looking at an older boat.

I bought my boat from an individual who sells boats on the side. He always has 2-3 boats in the yard. He has a very good reputation. He is cheaper than dealing with a dealer and yet you know the boat has been looked over by a qualified person. Maybe you can find someone like that in your area.

Also plan to spend several hundred dollars after you get the boat for equipment. Life jackets, anchors, rope, engine oil, fish finders, air horns, trailer locks, etc, etc. It adds up fast. I have had 2 boats in my life and I have had many many hobbies. A boat is a bottomless pit for your money. You have been warned. I spend WAY more money on my boat than I do on my taco.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #38
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
how far will you go to get the right boat you want?

here are a few I found that you may like...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1138327923.html

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/1135340060.html

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/1119286502.html
Old 04-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #40

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
definatly take whatever you are serious enough to buy on a test ride if anything is a little suspicous walk away Ive had my boat 3 years no problems at all really Ive got 100 bucks in repairs little stuff.