Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Thinking about a used boat...

Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #41
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bunch o' links, but whatcha think?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138746124.html

Top end of my budget, but looks really nice
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138693971.html

Above what I wanted to pay, but it has a cabin... Can you fish from these??
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138897800.html

Really too much of a fishing boat, but looks pretty clean
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138894800.html

Again, a little more than I wanted to pay, but looks good and comes with a bunch of stuff
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138894714.html

Looks like a great starter, great price, but 50hp motor??
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138867773.html

Another fishing boat, but great price
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1138851124.html

http://citypages.backpage.com/BoatsF...Ad?oid=1719366

Thanks for all your help so far!!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #43
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That one with the 50 h.p. motor will still move out at around 35+ mph. PLUS, the fuel eccon woud be GREAT.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #45
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You would have to find out how much the boat and trailor weigh in at, to determine if your truck could pull it. Also, each hull should have a Max h.p. rateing. SO, If a 50 h.p. motor is on a hull with a rateing of 125 h.p., then you can go with any engine up to the rateing.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #48

Also, You may want to consider checking these guys out
http://forums.iboats.com/

Tons of info! They can answer anything.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #49
boogie is on a distinguished road
boogie's Tacoma Gallery
Boy....alot of boat buying advice here. The only thing I would add is if the small details were attended to you can bet the big details were taken care of.

If you open hatches and see mildew, open storage areas and they are junky or dirty typically that is a sign of overall poor maintaince. Stay away from Bayliners ,although cheap, poorly built and even poorer resale.
As far as outboards Yahama , IMHO, would be my first choice. 4 strokes are the future of outboards, but more expensive and heavier than 2 strokes. Good luck and enjoy the purchase.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #50
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
Boy....alot of boat buying advice here. The only thing I would add is if the small details were attended to you can bet the big details were taken care of.

If you open hatches and see mildew, open storage areas and they are junky or dirty typically that is a sign of overall poor maintaince. Stay away from Bayliners ,although cheap, poorly built and even poorer resale.
As far as outboards Yahama , IMHO, would be my first choice. 4 strokes are the future of outboards, but more expensive and heavier than 2 strokes. Good luck and enjoy the purchase.
Thanks! There are so many damned boats for sale up here for under 10K (my self imposed budget), it's almost too many to choose from. Lots of cabin cruisers too!

I've seen lots in the $2500-$7500 range that look to suit what I'd like to do, so I'll probably stay in there somewhere. And this is anywhere from 5 year old boats to 35 year old boats...

And what is a "direct drive" motor as opposed to the other types? I know what inboard and outboard are, just never heard of direct drive...
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post

Actually, In the later '80's Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick, and they began makeing employees accountable for quality errors. Also, the Force engines (formerly Chrysler), which were very common power heads, were taken over by Mercury Marine. My Bayliner has proven MOST reliable, and so have many others out here, requireing very minimal maintinace. Stainless hardware, and many features come standard on the newer Bayliners, than on comparable boats. Boating Life puts them up near the top every year in quality, and reliability. The older Bayliners (often found with an "L" drive) are the ones you should steer clear of.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Actually, In the later '80's Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick, and they began makeing employees accountable for quality errors. Also, the Force engines (formerly Chrysler), which were very common power heads, were taken over by Mercury Marine. My Bayliner has proven MOST reliable, and so have many others out here, requireing very minimal maintinace. Stainless hardware, and many features come standard on the newer Bayliners, than on comparable boats. Boating Life puts them up near the top every year in quality, and reliability. The older Bayliners (often found with an "L" drive) are the ones you should steer clear of.
Ah, that's good to know. Because there are lots of Bayliners...
Old 04-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Ah, that's good to know. Because there are lots of Bayliners...
For the money, You cant beat them. Mine came fully loaded, and (its a 1997) has NEVER had any issues with electronics, linkage, or motor. Everything still works as new.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #54
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 94 stratos 254..........15 ft bass boat with a 70 hp johnson, stock trolling motor, and a stratos trail trailer that im trying to sell. i just dont have time for it anymore. runs great, hauls ass on the water...................for $2500.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
When you say "L" drive (I'm assuming that's mechanical), does it have an L in the model or is that just coincidence?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1139853101.html
Old 04-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #57
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
You gonna drive it to Minnesota??
haha......you can drive down and pick it up. your truck tows better than mine does.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #59

Quote:
That reminds me, if I get a boat, I finally have to fix that trailer plug that I broke off back in December!
fix it.....and do the mod that hides it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #60

Quote:
When you say "L" drive (I'm assuming that's mechanical), does it have an L in the model or is that just coincidence?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1139853101.html
An "L" head is like an Outboard that is mounted Inboard. Its a weird set up. Generally, they went the way of the Dodo in the early '80's. That boat you have listed is a nice one. The only thing I have heard with the 3.0 is that its better to run primium fuel.