LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Thinking about a used boat...

Old 04-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #61
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
An "L" head is like an Outboard that is mounted Inboard. Its a weird set up. Generally, they went the way of the Dodo in the early '80's. That boat you have listed is a nice one. The only thing I have heard with the 3.0 is that its better to run primium fuel.
Yeah, it looks pretty nice from the photos... And $4950 is a pretty nice sweet spot on what I'd like to spend for what I'd get...

And outboard mounted like an inboard, is that the term inboard/outboard I see referenced a lot?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #63
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Yeah, it looks pretty nice from the photos... And $4950 is a pretty nice sweet spot on what I'd like to spend for what I'd get...

And outboard mounted like an inboard, is that the term inboard/outboard I see referenced a lot?
Maybe its not called an "L" head....I cant remember. Anyway, its different than a regular inboard. Its a weird set up...
Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #64
boogie is on a distinguished road
boogie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Actually, In the later '80's Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick, and they began makeing employees accountable for quality errors. Also, the Force engines (formerly Chrysler), which were very common power heads, were taken over by Mercury Marine. My Bayliner has proven MOST reliable, and so have many others out here, requireing very minimal maintinace. Stainless hardware, and many features come standard on the newer Bayliners, than on comparable boats. Boating Life puts them up near the top every year in quality, and reliability. The older Bayliners (often found with an "L" drive) are the ones you should steer clear of.
Chris,

I stand corrected in so much as I shouldn't have made a blanket statement about all Bayliners.
I have made my living as a boat capt. in south Florida since the late 70's. In that pursuit, I have witnessed the saltwater environoment take a toll on alot of Bayliners, mostly from the late 70's through the mid 90's.
I'm glad to hear they have picked up the pace. The move from the Force motors has to be a plus. It seems I bought into the stigma that was probably well deserved years ago.
Given the amount of them out there , of late, they must have improved to a great degree.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #65
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
Chris,

I stand corrected in so much as I shouldn't have made a blanket statement about all Bayliners.
I have made my living as a boat capt. in south Florida since the late 70's. In that pursuit, I have witnessed the saltwater environoment take a toll on alot of Bayliners, mostly from the late 70's through the mid 90's.
I'm glad to hear they have picked up the pace. The move from the Force motors has to be a plus. It seems I bought into the stigma that was probably well deserved years ago.
Given the amount of them out there , of late, they must have improved to a great degree.
No worries. Many people are under the impression that the Bayliner brand is junk, and one to be avoided. In fact, when I got my boat, first thing I did was begin to price out new motors. It wasnt until after I did some research that I learned of the change.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #66
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you longhorn now you have me looking at boats.
I may be buying a boat instead of paying off my truck and getting a lift when i get home. where to store it hmmmm. HEY!! Gdawg25 can i store it at your place?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #67
audi2000 has a spectacular aura aboutaudi2000 has a spectacular aura aboutaudi2000 has a spectacular aura about
audi2000's Tacoma Gallery
Longhorn, could you edit your 1st post and tell us why you want a boat.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Is this one of the "bad" Bayliners? 1987... $1700 is a nice price!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1141227823.html
Hard to tell in the pics. I think it is. If you can call the guy, ask him if the engine is a "Force" and under it it should say "Made by Mercury Marine" for it to be a good one. Brunswick bought Mercury Marine in the early 1960's, and Bayliner in....IIRC, 1986, so its right on the cusp.