1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trolling motor battery question

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by takern, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Nov 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    greetings all knowing people of TW. Time to call upon the collective "Wisdom" again. Bought a new to me boat a few months ago and my trolling motor is starting to act up. It will run great for a while then it will begin to slow down, like the battery is losing its charge. Put the battery on the charger and it shows only a 75%ish drain or so. My thought is that the battery is done and just is not putting out the required amperage any more. I do not know how old it is because all the stickers have been worn off through time and use. It has been stored either in a plastic battery holder on the boat or on a wood block in the garage when it gets charged. Would everyone here agree that it is time to replace the battery?

2. Nov 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Sounds like an old battery to me, just make sure your trolling motor isn't acting up because it is getting too hot.

3. Nov 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    it shouldnt be doing that considering the water is a nice 55-60 around here. should be plenty to keep it from overheating

4. Nov 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I've had great luck running deep cycle batteries completely dead. I use an old trailer light with aligator clips on the leads. I hook up the light to the battery and let it drain slowly for a couple days. When the light is totally out, you know the battery is completly drained. DC batteries are designed for deep draining, They are designed for that. I've had DC batteries that would not even register a 1/2 of a volt and have been able to bring them back to life. You will need a known good battery to do this. Most newer battery chargers will not input a charge if they battery charger registers less than 8 volts. The charger thinks there is a bad cell and will turn itself off.

Hook a good battery with the dead battery using jumper cables, then hook up the charger. the charger doesn't know there is 2 batteries, it just thinks it is charging 1, low battery.

If you are investing in a battery charger, make sure you get one with a battery reconditioner or desuphating mode. I've only had 2 DC batteries that I could not get to come back to service.

5. Nov 26, 2014 at 4:44 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  6. Nov 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    I took it in today and had a load test on it. that test ended up costing me nearly $200

7. Nov 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    Rickoutdoors

Rickoutdoors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Montreal,Qc,Canada
    heated mirrors, lighted cup holders, backup lights, backflip cover, box lights, raised diff breather, solenoid tailgate lock, flashlight holder,
    Well looks like you got a new battery . End of headache for a few years.

8. Nov 27, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    takern

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    always a new headache with boats

9. Dec 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Please see Section 16 in Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org for more information on sulfation.

10. Dec 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Great article! Thanks.

Products Discussed in