Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Ice Fishing BS Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ice Fishing BS Thread

The only other ice fishing thread I could find has been dead for a few years. Surely more people enjoy getting out on the ice

I have alwaya went out with my dad once or twice a year. Never loved it but never really had the means of doing it myself either. Well I bought a sled and pole. My dad is gifting an auger he bought and never uses. That pretty much is everything I need outside of some tackle.

Untitled4 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

Lets see your set ups and some of your catches! Ill post more photos as they come.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm learning to love it! Now that I know I can pitch my tent as a ice shelter I am pretty stoked. I gotta say I am pretty stoked to learn all the tricks and hopefully I can land a monster sometime soon.

My dad and I are going to a local lake up in the mountains tomorrow. I'm going to try my luck at hooking the wood stove in the tent this time.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
I'm learning to love it! Now that I know I can pitch my tent as a ice shelter I am pretty stoked. I gotta say I am pretty stoked to learn all the tricks and hopefully I can land a monster sometime soon.

My dad and I are going to a local lake up in the mountains tomorrow. I'm going to try my luck at hooking the wood stove in the tent this time.
Yeah that's cool! To me what's really awesome, is if you're fishing on a really clear lake, it's like looking down into an aquarium, especially if your shelter has dark sides.

If I ever make it up to Wyoming I'd be down to do some ice fishin.
That sounds like a sweet trip with your dad. And that would be nice to set up your stove in there, you'd be toasty.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Some nice catches! Looks like you have a nice little shack?

I haven't got to see down through clear ice yet but I have seen videos with it. Someone recently showed me one where a couple guys caught a massive lake trout and you could see them reel it in and pull it through the hole.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some nice catches! Looks like you have a nice little shack?

I haven't got to see down through clear ice yet but I have seen videos with it. Someone recently showed me one where a couple guys caught a massive lake trout and you could see them reel it in and pull it through the hole.
Those weren't my shacks, but they were nice. One was built into a plastic sled and the bottom folded up where ever you wanted to make a hole, which was cool. Plus good for breaking the wind. Fire up a little heater in them bad boys and you're set. But man, I hope you can find some clear water to fish out of, it's so awesome. That one pic where it's real clear, was about 10-12 feet and you could see perfect to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
We finally will be able to start our season after this storm and am looking forward to it.
When I do my extended road trip adventure life journey expedition extravaganza, I wana meet up with both you guys and do some ice fishin and or wheel/explore out in both ya'lls neck of the woods. Wyoming and Idaho is high on the list.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Glad to see more guys in here . Caught lots of small trout today. We kept 3 but nothing worth pictures, just a tasty dinner. It was warm enough for me so I didn't bother setting up the shelter or stove. That will probably be my last trip until I head back to my place in a week or so.

Guerilla, just let me know when you are headed this way. I did a week long fly fishing trip with infra last summer. I love having an excuse to go fishing haha.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The only other ice fishing thread I could find has been dead for a few years. Surely more people enjoy getting out on the ice

I have alwaya went out with my dad once or twice a year. Never loved it but never really had the means of doing it myself either. Well I bought a sled and pole. My dad is gifting an auger he bought and never uses. That pretty much is everything I need outside of some tackle.

Untitled4 by BabyTaco, on Flickr

Lets see your set ups and some of your catches! Ill post more photos as they come.
Kirafu teepee... am i right? been lusting after themfor awhile. I carry a kirafu woobie in my truck.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Kirafu teepee... am i right? been lusting after themfor awhile. I carry a kirafu woobie in my truck.
Close! That's a seek outside 4 man tipi. Pretty much the same thing though. I picked it up used shortly after I sold me RTT. Been loving it ever since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
Do you have a bear skin rug to put down to keep you warm?
No, but that's an awesome idea!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
niit_train will become famous soon enoughniit_train will become famous soon enough
Name: Jason
niit_train's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Seek Outside 6 man I use for backcountry trips. I also have the original bottomless wood stove. Im not sure the stove would work well ice fishing though! LOL!

NT