Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Hobie Cat transporting

Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
Hobie Cat transporting

Will a Hobie 16 break down for transport to the point where it'd fit in a rooftop canoe rack? thinking something like a Thule bar on the cab with a "goalpost" in the hitch so it'll clear my soft topper.

Live near the beach and vacation in Tahoe most summers, I'm wondering about options for what I could haul back and forth without having to find storage space for a trailer.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
No, I don't workout...I work
Yakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedYakoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Randy
Yakoma's Tacoma Gallery
Not familiar with that particular model, but the idea of putting a 16' kayak on top of a rack 8 feet above the ground - especially alone - is kind of daunting. How much does it weigh?

I've got a 12 footer that weighs 65 lbs and even that might be problematic. You might be able to utilize a pulley system at home, but away from home you'll be wrestling to get it on top, I would think.

The goalpost idea seems rather flimsy. Is a TracRac possible or does the soft topper not allow for that?

EDIT: Duh...I thought you were talking about a 16' Hobie kayak, not a sailcat. Nevermind.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
lock is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
lock's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned several hobies and I would not break one down unless I absolutely had to. Even if you did put the hulls on top you still have the mast, sails, boom, rudders, lines, sheets,tramp, and a whole bunch more hardware.
You need a trailer, breaking down is a bad idea.
Weight wise the hulls are probably a 100 lbs. each, maybe a little more. Total weight about 400 lbs.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
How do you propose to haul the trampoline? They don't weight any thing go buy a small utility trailer at HD and make your own.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
plan for carrying the cat on the roof would be to have the long rigid parts (hulls, mast, jib, booms) on the rack and the soft parts (sails, tramp, rigging) and smaller stuff like rudders in the bed of the truck, or possibly leaving the rudders on the hulls.

At this point I'm not even sure when I'll have the money freed up to think about buying the boat, and still need to learn enough sailing to run the thing anyway. Being able to avoid a trailer would help some with the Tahoe trips since I usually caravan with friends who aren't towing anything and probably wouldn't appreciate having to slow down to 55-60 for the drive since CA has reduced speed limits for trailers. I'd also have to check the capacity on the goalpost since they're designed for canoes which are under 100 lb total; some kind of cage/contractor rack that would fit over the topper could also be an option for that as well for a bit more $$$, and I might be able to rig up some kind of retractable/removable roller for loading on and off. Might even end up with a heavier rack in the coming years anyway since I'm doing some significant work on the house.

If it comes to it, I could probably deal with a trailer but for such a lightweight boat was hoping there might be an alternative.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
There is no reason to remove the rudders. You'll need to think about this though your roof racks are going to be pretty high and wide so you need to think about getting the truck doors open. With out a friend or two you won't be able to get the cat up there and once you get to the lake you'll need them again to get it off. I sailed Hobie's for years we even raced New Years day if the river was not frozen when I lived down south. My trailer was a small utility trailer out fitted to carry it. Lock the rudders up pull it off and push it back on.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
lock is on a distinguished road
Name: greg
lock's Tacoma Gallery
Go look at a couple of hobies, then ask the owners what they think of your idea.
After they get done laughing they will say the same as I did.
This really, really a bad idea.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
Skrumbie is on a distinguished road
Name: Stefan
Skrumbie's Tacoma Gallery
I have had several Hobie 16's, not to mention having worked for a Hobie dealer when I was in high school. The biggest part of my job was assembling new Hobie 16's after they had been purchased. The thought of breaking one down to put it on top of a truck for transport gives me shivers! Don't do it!! Buy a real trailer that;s been set up for the boat, or don't buy the boat. You'll find it more than enough of a PITA just putting the mast up when you get to the beach.