1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts on this boat for sale...

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by LonghornTaco, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I'm thinking about taking a look at this boat for sale this evening... Anyone else have some thoughts on it? They wifey said that they wouldn't mind letting me take it for a spin on a lake to see how it runs...

Just wanted to hear someone elses opinion, based on this limited information, but $800 is a nice price if it isn't junk...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1203199169.html

14' steel fishing boat for sale - $800 or B/O. This is a boat that we recently repainted and replaced the wood bench seats (approximately 3 years ago). The company that makes the boat went out of business in 1927 so it's old - but it still floats and the motor runs. This is conventionally a row boat, but works for fishing and includes all the gear.

Includes:
    18hp Evinrude Motor
    Trolling Motor
    Fish/Depth Finder
    Trailer (lifetime registration)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    i would be scared to move and tip it over....

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    That's one of the things I'd be worried about...how stable it was.

To be more stable, does it need to be deeper? Longer? V-shaped hull throughout rather than just the bow? Wider? What?

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    not deep V...any waves and your in trouble. Keep looking if you want to get out on any lake over 100 acres, plenty around that price range in our neck of the woods :)

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    So, deep-v is bad on larger lakes with wave? Or deep-v means it's better in waves? Logic would tell me the later, but no experience to back that up...

I'm willing to go up to $2K as long as it's not junk.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Too deep of a V in the front and not wide enough on the sides. Looking at the back, I'm sure it's stable where the seats are but not up front. There is not enough displacement of water to stabilize it.

A fishing boat doesn't need to be V shaped at all. Ideally, you want a flat bottom boat that can get into shallow places. Based on the style boat you are looking at, you will be using this in small lakes or in tight coves...correct? This obviously won't handle ocean or large lake (Erie).

A flatter boat in the front will also make it easier to use a trolling motor. You should also have a seat in the front, not just in the back and middle. When 2 people are fishing, it's best to have one in the front and one in the back. It gives you more coverage.

However, the included accessories add value. Evinrude is a quality 2-stroke engine. The one pictured looks relatively new.

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    hillbillytaco

hillbillytaco HOT!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    westbyGodvirginia
    Vehicle:
    06 impulse red trd off road dc v6 6spd
    wider get a flat bottom. i have a 12' aluminum flat bottom from the 60's it was my paps and it's real stable 2 people and you can stand in it if you need to i would be worried of tipping over in that thing but hey to each their own like fishing out fo a canoe some people love it and others (like me) hate it

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
  9. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  10. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Good luck! Once you buy a boat though you will want a bigger or better boat. My brother has a nice smoker craft with 25 on it that we use for fishing, and i have a 19 ft thompson for cruisen the big water :) around here and bumpen the Eagle River area.

I'd go for that LUND personally over those smaller ones anyday and it will hold its value if the the motor is solid.

11. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    KarlHungus

KarlHungus Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Listen to wiscdave and go for the larger boat. Not sure where you are in MN, or what you want to fish for, but you're going to be really limited with that smaller setup. You'd never make it on Mille Lacs, Red Lake, Lake of the Woods etc. with something that small.

12. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm in the west metro - Hopkins/Minnetonka area.

I think I'm gonna pass on the one listed above, but I'm gonna call that second one wisdave mentioned...

13. Jun 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    If you're looking into flat bottom boats, you might also consider a tri hull type design. That type of design is stable and can go in shallow water. At speed on rough water, they are a notch above a flat bottom, but don't seem to be as good as a V. Might be a bit more expensive though.

14. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Went and looked at that 14' Lund yesterday. Not bad and not bad a shape, but too much money for what you get I think. If I can't find anything else that suits, it might be worth $1300 or something, but $1800 is a bit much.

However, I ran across this one today and gonna take a look tonight:
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1204507674.html
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Looks like it might be a nice deal, but my question is the motor... Can you get parts for a 1961 motor if you need them?

15. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    KarlHungus

KarlHungus Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
  16. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Wow, thanks for that link!

Do old boats like this usually still have paper titles or is a bill of sale sufficient?

17. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    theres a 30 foot boat hull that been sitting to the side of a dirt road for about 20 years, i can drag it out and if you want it you can have it lol

18. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    KarlHungus

KarlHungus Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Good question. Hard to say with a classic ride like that. The wife and I bought an older pop-up camper a few years back. We couldn't get it licensed in MN without the title. The previous owner didn't have it, so we had to do a title search through the DMV. No big deal.. it just took a couple of weeks.

19. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the offer, but think I'll pass... :D

20. Jun 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    A title search... Does that just involve finding the person to whom it's currently registered and asking them if they have it or something?

Products Discussed in

To Top