Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Thoughts on this boat for sale...

Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on this boat for sale...

I'm thinking about taking a look at this boat for sale this evening... Anyone else have some thoughts on it? They wifey said that they wouldn't mind letting me take it for a spin on a lake to see how it runs...

Just wanted to hear someone elses opinion, based on this limited information, but $800 is a nice price if it isn't junk...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1203199169.html

14' steel fishing boat for sale - $800 or B/O. This is a boat that we recently repainted and replaced the wood bench seats (approximately 3 years ago). The company that makes the boat went out of business in 1927 so it's old - but it still floats and the motor runs. This is conventionally a row boat, but works for fishing and includes all the gear.

Includes:
18hp Evinrude Motor
Trolling Motor
Fish/Depth Finder
Trailer (lifetime registration)

Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
i would be scared to move and tip it over....
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
not deep V...any waves and your in trouble. Keep looking if you want to get out on any lake over 100 acres, plenty around that price range in our neck of the woods
Old 06-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
not deep V...any waves and your in trouble. Keep looking if you want to get out on any lake over 100 acres, plenty around that price range in our neck of the woods
So, deep-v is bad on larger lakes with wave? Or deep-v means it's better in waves? Logic would tell me the later, but no experience to back that up...

I'm willing to go up to $2K as long as it's not junk.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Too deep of a V in the front and not wide enough on the sides. Looking at the back, I'm sure it's stable where the seats are but not up front. There is not enough displacement of water to stabilize it.

A fishing boat doesn't need to be V shaped at all. Ideally, you want a flat bottom boat that can get into shallow places. Based on the style boat you are looking at, you will be using this in small lakes or in tight coves...correct? This obviously won't handle ocean or large lake (Erie).

A flatter boat in the front will also make it easier to use a trolling motor. You should also have a seat in the front, not just in the back and middle. When 2 people are fishing, it's best to have one in the front and one in the back. It gives you more coverage.

However, the included accessories add value. Evinrude is a quality 2-stroke engine. The one pictured looks relatively new.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery
wider get a flat bottom. i have a 12' aluminum flat bottom from the 60's it was my paps and it's real stable 2 people and you can stand in it if you need to i would be worried of tipping over in that thing but hey to each their own like fishing out fo a canoe some people love it and others (like me) hate it
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I took a quick look see over there and got some recommendations for you..go bigger if you can you won't regret it!!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1203209199.html

But this one looks pretty nice and is a LUND...lasts for ever and a great name in boats
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1202960277.html

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Lets Do It!

Good luck! Once you buy a boat though you will want a bigger or better boat. My brother has a nice smoker craft with 25 on it that we use for fishing, and i have a 19 ft thompson for cruisen the big water around here and bumpen the Eagle River area.

I'd go for that LUND personally over those smaller ones anyday and it will hold its value if the the motor is solid.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
KarlHungus is on a distinguished road

KarlHungus's Tacoma Gallery
Listen to wiscdave and go for the larger boat. Not sure where you are in MN, or what you want to fish for, but you're going to be really limited with that smaller setup. You'd never make it on Mille Lacs, Red Lake, Lake of the Woods etc. with something that small.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking into flat bottom boats, you might also consider a tri hull type design. That type of design is stable and can go in shallow water. At speed on rough water, they are a notch above a flat bottom, but don't seem to be as good as a V. Might be a bit more expensive though.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #14

Went and looked at that 14' Lund yesterday. Not bad and not bad a shape, but too much money for what you get I think. If I can't find anything else that suits, it might be worth $1300 or something, but $1800 is a bit much.

However, I ran across this one today and gonna take a look tonight:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1204507674.html

Quote:
1961 16' Crestliner Boat. Fresh restoration. Very clean. Complete boat motor and trailer package.
New paint all the way around. New floor and carpet. All lights including spot light work. Horn and bilge pump work as well. New gas line, 6g gas can, and a new battery are all included. This is truly is ready for the water. The trailer has fresh paint, new tires, spare tire, trailer lights are new, hitch coupler and tongue jack also new. It has a 40hp Johnson outboard that runs well. The motor is a '61 also, thus making me believe it is the original. Email or call with questions or offers. These pictures were taken two weeks ago and I have more if you would like me to e-mail them. This boat is a head turner! Must sell ASAP because I have to many toys. I can deliver within reason and would prefer cash only.
Thanks
$1795 or best offer.
Looks like it might be a nice deal, but my question is the motor... Can you get parts for a 1961 motor if you need them?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #15

Contact Robbinsdale Marine (http://www.robbinsdalemarine.com). If any one in the Twin Cities will service it, they would be one of the best.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
theres a 30 foot boat hull that been sitting to the side of a dirt road for about 20 years, i can drag it out and if you want it you can have it lol
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #18

Good question. Hard to say with a classic ride like that. The wife and I bought an older pop-up camper a few years back. We couldn't get it licensed in MN without the title. The previous owner didn't have it, so we had to do a title search through the DMV. No big deal.. it just took a couple of weeks.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlHungus View Post
Good question. Hard to say with a classic ride like that. The wife and I bought an older pop-up camper a few years back. We couldn't get it licensed in MN without the title. The previous owner didn't have it, so we had to do a title search through the DMV. No big deal.. it just took a couple of weeks.
A title search... Does that just involve finding the person to whom it's currently registered and asking them if they have it or something?