Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
zachc113 will become famous soon enough

zachc113's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod90 View Post
hey kpt how are your rods holding up in the pvc? do you ever move it closer to the tailgate so you clear the tire fenders and take your reel off so the rods sit in there further down?

i am thinking of doing this but wonder how well the rods stay in when they are only in like 8" in the pvc
x2
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #22
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hey kpt how are your rods holding up in the pvc? do you ever move it closer to the tailgate so you clear the tire fenders and take your reel off so the rods sit in there further down?

i am thinking of doing this but wonder how well the rods stay in when they are only in like 8" in the pvc
They stay in just fine because they have almost no wind resistance. I took them on a 2 hour drive at 70 mph and they didn't move a bit. I can't move them back any further because that's where my dogs sit

Also putting longer pvc for them to sit in wouldn't make a difference because they already are in a far as they can go, i.e. the reel is touching the pvc.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I did. I used a pre-made rod holder and a home made aluminum nut to do this. The holder is just wedged into the corner.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
What size PVC are you guys using?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What size PVC are you guys using?
I believe I used 2" PVC
Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #26
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
For the 2 piece rods.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3VE View Post
For the 2 piece rods.

Thats a great idea. I never thought about using a gun holder to hold them.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about re-designing mine to be more tilted, but can't seem how with a 1st gen
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
overkill is underrated
bluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shedbluefish is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
bluefish's Tacoma Gallery
i've owned the truck for 3 days , this is the first thing i did after taking off the badges and stickers. I surf fish and i need to transport long 1 piece rods, which is why you see such long rocket launchers.

This is a first draft and I haven't used it yet, but I've used similar set ups in other trucks that have worked out ok so I expect this should do fine. The best part about this design is that it is removable in 10 seconds with no hardware, the wooden blocks you see in the photos are just snugging the board down without any fasteners. My main objective was to make it easy to take out so I don't sacrifice space in this dinky 5' box

on the final draft I will trim the U bolts and miter/trim the pvc to fit a little bit better. I may also incorporate some more rocket launchers along the board as needed, and I will drill some holes in the board so you can put sandspikes in and hold rods vertically for beach driving. I'll probably cut a piece of plywood to fit on top of this to give me a nice shelf to put crap on too

the materials used are:
-a length of 1 x 8 to fit the molded spots on the wheel wells
-some small scraps of 1 x 4
-2" o.d. pvc (sch 40)
-u bolts (make sure to use stop-nuts or at least threadlocker or risk the regular nuts slipping with road vibes)
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-img_3411.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-img_3412.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-img_3413.jpg  
Old 03-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I just a strap hanging from the cleat up front for the reel end that hangs down into the bed about halfway and then use another strap and cleat farther back tied up tighter so the rod tips angle up over the tailgate and the shorter fresh water light/medium action 6ft rods fit inside the tailgate the same way. You can bundle up about 3 combos on each side like that and they are good and aero like that too. But I don't go often enough to need the serious setups pictured here, sadly. Nice setups tho..........
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Here is what I did. I used a pre-made rod holder and a home made aluminum nut to do this. The holder is just wedged into the corner.

how are these working for you? i thought about buying 2 at wall mart tonight. have you gone down the interstate with them?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #32
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
subd. iplan on making a rod holder this weekend, awesome thread! i'll post pics when i'm done.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
subd. iplan on making a rod holder this weekend, awesome thread! i'll post pics when i'm done.
yeah i think iíll do mine sunday. got 2 holders tonight from wall mart for $5 each.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
how are these working for you? i thought about buying 2 at wall mart tonight. have you gone down the interstate with them?
I have gone down the freeway with them, but I made sure to put a small bungee over the reel for safeties sake.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #36
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
That is the weirdest spinning reel I have seen with the double handle like that . I dont think I have ever seen anything like that. but the rod holder looks nice!!!!
Shimano Spirex. Double handle ftw. It's very well-balanced.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...ng/Spirex.html
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Shimano Spirex. Double handle ftw. It's very well-balanced.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...ng/Spirex.html
im too stupid to use those. it's more like "shima...oohh my god i just back lashed the hell out of this thing. here fix this"

that's why i just go to walmart and by a new zebco 33 every year
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
im too stupid to use those. it's more like "shima...oohh my god i just back lashed the hell out of this thing. here fix this"

The Spirex is just a spinning reel, no backlash.

I think you are thinking of baitcaster reels, like this one:

The Zebco 33 is a "spin-cast" reel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
It would be interesting to try that reel.
Best reel I've ever owned.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post

No, I was talking about the spinning reel, you normally dont see 2 handles on spinning reels. I think you were talking about not being able to use the bait caster which is the egg shaped reel in the photo. I thought just like you with not being able to use a baitcaster. I bought one a month ago and have been fishing with it since and I got it down pretty good. No major birds nesting as of yet. But then again I havent scrambled while sight fishing for a HUGE bass yet. That will be the true test