Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #41
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Shimano Spirex. Double handle ftw. It's very well-balanced.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...ng/Spirex.html
i like the look of the Shiman Stradic line, it is very similar to the Okuma lines. I like the size and shape of the handle that roundness looks like it would fish very well.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #42
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
I have gone down the freeway with them, but I made sure to put a small bungee over the reel for safeties sake.
ok cool.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #44
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
i like the look of the Shiman Stradic line, it is very similar to the Okuma lines. I like the size and shape of the handle that roundness looks like it would fish very well.
Yes those do look very nice, I have never fished one.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #46
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hey KPT. have you thought about making a slot so to speak. so the goes down farther.

kinda like the ones i got at wal mart.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Spirex is just a spinning reel, no backlash.

I think you are thinking of baitcaster reels, like this one:

The Zebco 33 is a "spin-cast" reel.
Quote:
No, I was talking about the spinning reel, you normally dont see 2 handles on spinning reels. I think you were talking about not being able to use the bait caster which is the egg shaped reel in the photo. I thought just like you with not being able to use a baitcaster. I bought one a month ago and have been fishing with it since and I got it down pretty good. No major birds nesting as of yet. But then again I havent scrambled while sight fishing for a HUGE bass yet. That will be the true test
aahh yeah, yeah my bad. baitcaster is the ones i always screw up. . . but i love fishing. i go everyweek once the weather's warm. but my entire rod/reel/tackle probably adds up to less than $200. i like to fly fish with my good ole shakespere rod and reel, and catch whatever will bite a worm, crank bait, jig, etc on a pond or river.

im cheap, so i just make the best out of a my budget friendly hobby.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How much that reel be? I looked at the website and there were no prices. I know the Stradic lines are close to $200 for a reel alone, to say the least.
It was under $100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
hey KPT. have you thought about making a slot so to speak. so the goes down farther.

kinda like the ones i got at wal mart.
I considered it, but I've never had any problems with my setup, even at 70 mph on the highway, so
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #49
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
aahh yeah, yeah my bad. baitcaster is the ones i always screw up. . . but i love fishing. i go everyweek once the weather's warm. but my entire rod/reel/tackle probably adds up to less than $200. i like to fly fish with my good ole shakespere rod and reel, and catch whatever will bite a worm, crank bait, jig, etc on a pond or river.

im cheap, so i just make the best out of a my budget friendly hobby.
Nothing wrong with fishing on a budget, fish are not trendy snobs. And as far as cheap fly fishing, I dont think that can be done. Every flyfishing reel I have ever seen are over $200. But I do know of cheap combo deals.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #50

Quote:

I considered it, but I've never had any problems with my setup, even at 70 mph on the highway, so
ok cool. bet mine will ride good than! i did not have PVC laying around and did not want to buy some. thought i would try the $5 once at wal mart. if they donít work i may use pvc or something.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #51
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Nothing wrong with fishing on a budget, fish are not trendy snobs. And as far as cheap fly fishing, I dont think that can be done. Every flyfishing reel I have ever seen are over $200. But I do know of cheap combo deals.
man ive been fly fishing since i was 10 years old. here's the way i look at fly reels - you don't cast with it. you don't reel it in with any tension on it. why spend a lot of money on one? after every throw you pull out about 2 foot of line by hand, and the snatch it back, and then lay it back down. when you catch a fish, you spool it in with your hand. you dont reel it in. so frankly, i don't care kind of gears, metal alloys, etc are in it. as long as i can crank it back in to start a new casting series, that's all that matters to me. . . and a rod that doesn't break haha.

$50 is more than enough to buy a fly fishing combo for anyone in my opinion.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #53
I'm a zit. Get it?

Quote:
I have never flyfished before so I have no clue on what would be considered a good rod and reel combo.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGMQ8wIwAQ

works fine for starters ^^

just get it, a few different types of flys, maybe a vest and you're good to go.

there's nothing better than wadding out to the middle of a river up to your waste with a few beers in your vest and fly rod in hand. you just stand there and fish, piss on yourself and drink. pretty hard to beat.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #55
gatorboyy13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
gatorboyy13's Tacoma Gallery
I know a good amount of yíall have a fishing rod holder set up already but I have been working pretty hard on this design for a very sturdy and functional rod holder. The thing about this one is that it is designed for a toolbox. It is removable and can be stored away when you arenít using it. I have thought of multiple options, like a single rod holder, multiple rods (up to 4 or 5), something to secure the rods in the holder for your worrying purposes and it can be made at any angle you want.
Here are a few pictures of the design it self, let me know what you guys think!

The holes are where a pvc rod holder would be placed btw
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #56
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
looking good brian. its similar to what im about to do. i had to first reconfigure my rails on the bed since i wanted to use them along with my roll up toneau cover. hopefully today i can work on it, ill send you some pics of what im talking about.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #57
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK! im done with mine. tell me what you think. it holds 3. the reason mine took so long was relocating the bed rails. i bought the actual holder at Academy and then rivited it to the bracket i made to utilize the bed rails. I extended the to space to clear the wheel well. the rod holder comes in a pack of two, i may make one for the other side later.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-rail1.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-rail2.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-holder1.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-holder2.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-holder3.jpg  

Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-holder4.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-finished1.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-finished2.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-finished3.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-use1.jpg  

Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-use2.jpg   Fishing Rod Holder question and Ideas!-use3.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #58
gatorboyy13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
gatorboyy13's Tacoma Gallery
I really like what you got there! Mine would just be geared towards toolbox owners
Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #59

yeah your design would be perfect on the toolbox of your first gen. tacoma. keep us posted when you make it!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #60
Rich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant futureRich11 has a brilliant future
Rich11's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boa...ml#post2883946