Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Motor Help..?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Motor Help..?

Thinking about buying this boat..It's an avenger ski boat..perfect interior, like new high gloss paint, new boat cover, new stereo, new SS prop. The only problem, is the guy says his Mercury 150 Black Max outboard needs a new piston. He's selling the boat for $1k...

I know shit about boats but i've always wanted one. Is this a "buy a new motor" deal, or is this something that can be torn down in the driveway and fixed?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to a outboard mechanic and yes it's worth the 1k for just the hull . Have the motor checked they get expensive to rebuild.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You also may want to check out http://forums.iboats.com/
Lots of boating folks on there.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

but i like my taco friends. isnt this why we have a boating section?

I just called a local marine shop - he said i'll have to replace the powerhead, he gave me an aprox. cost of $3,000
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
but i like my taco friends. isnt this why we have a boating section?

I just called a local marine shop - he said i'll have to replace the powerhead, he gave me an aprox. cost of $3,000
Thats kinda what I was thinking. $3000.00 for a powerhead is about right.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
╒╪╕

Do you think the majority of that price is labor? Do you think i could spend a lot less in parts and do this myself?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
Do you think the majority of that price is labor? Do you think i could spend a lot less in parts and do this myself?
Replaceing the powerhead is a pretty quick job. Boat parts are $$$$$

If you wanted to save a bit of money, you could try to find a piston .020 larger, and bore out that cylinder, and replace the piston. I belive that motor is a 2 stroke, and it should be fairly easy to work on.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
╒╪╕

I'll have to look into it...thanks dude
Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Rule of thumb when it comes to buying a new boat motor: It is roughly $100 a horsepower.

$3000 to repair that is worth it.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
To buy a new 150, you are looking at 12k. Yes $12,000+. Best to have it rebuilt. Or look for another boat with a good motor & swap. Then sell the hull of the other boat for 1k.