Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Surf fishing/camping PINS June 5-8 2009

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Surf fishing/camping PINS June 5-8 2009

Went down to Padre Island and had a great time! The water was great. The fishing was real good. The temperature was fine and the camping was fun. Caught a bunch of Spanish Mackerel, Whiting and a few Jack Cravalle and one sting ray.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Man, that looked like total fun! Was that on Padre Island National Seashore?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
nice shots kilo! looks like you guys had fun
Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
dennyct@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough
Navy: Naval Security Group
dennyct@hotmail.com's Tacoma Gallery
I catch Spanish macks in South Florida using thin long shank 2.0 BLACK hooks bated with live pilchards or spanish sardines hooked thru the top back. A trick is to float the rear half of a Spanish sardine on the slip float with about 4 feet of 30 pount test leader below a swivel. Not many people know this one. You can use frozen bait for this method.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
Man, that looked like total fun! Was that on Padre Island National Seashore?
Yes it was. Camped out at the 43 mile point about a 2 hour drive doing the 15-25 mile speed limit.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyct@hotmail.com View Post
I catch Spanish macks in South Florida using thin long shank 2.0 BLACK hooks bated with live pilchards or spanish sardines hooked thru the top back. A trick is to float the rear half of a Spanish sardine on the slip float with about 4 feet of 30 pount test leader below a swivel. Not many people know this one. You can use frozen bait for this method.
All the Smacks where caught on spoons. The rest was caught with dead/fresh shrimp and live Mullet.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
dennyct@hotmail.com will become famous soon enough
Navy: Naval Security Group
dennyct@hotmail.com's Tacoma Gallery
The float method only works with cut Spanish sardines. Spoons and 1 1/2 oz white bucktails work good but you can use the float method on a set rod on free spool and clicker. I know, I am lazy but I don't drop the beer.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome pics, makes me want to make a road trip down there now. Hope ya'll had a great time.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
Went down to Padre Island and had a great time! The water was great. The fishing was real good. The temperature was fine and the camping was fun. Caught a bunch of Spanish Mackerel, Whiting and a few Jack Cravalle and one sting ray.

Wow nice bed set up! Thats a sweet catch, and I really like the 4Runner one day.........one day.....................
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Chomag will become famous soon enough
Chomag's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
Yes it was. Camped out at the 43 mile point about a 2 hour drive doing the 15-25 mile speed limit.
Thats cool. When I went out there last July I got to a bit past the 30 mile. I wanted to go farther down but I was worried about about having enough fuel to get back. lol

I wasn't expecting to burn so much fuel but sand+ low speeds+4wd=Terrible gas mileage The next time I think I'll take some extra fuel with me and try to push farther.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
Thats cool. When I went out there last July I got to a bit past the 30 mile. I wanted to go farther down but I was worried about about having enough fuel to get back. lol

I wasn't expecting to burn so much fuel but sand+ low speeds+4wd=Terrible gas mileage The next time I think I'll take some extra fuel with me and try to push farther.
I know the feeling. A friend of mine took his Z71 and it started to over heat on the way out. We started to run out of ice on the second day so one of us had to make the trip back to the park store, which was me, just to find out they had run out. Next closest store was another 15 miles towards town. So 58 miles one way for ice and about 5 hours later. 116 miles total in 5 hours just for ice. We always carry extra fuel because the beach will slow you down everytime. It's well worth it!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
mactacoma has a spectacular aura aboutmactacoma has a spectacular aura about
mactacoma's Tacoma Gallery
was that a south padre island?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactacoma View Post
was that a south padre island?
North Padre, PINS.