Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Hauling a boat on a flat trailer

Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Hauling a boat on a flat trailer

Like...a flat surface. Anyone ever done it before?

There's a local paintball park near me that has a pond in it. The owner found a free boat that is stripped and doesn't have a trailer.

The owner of the paintball park has a trailer that the boat will fit on.

Anybody think hauling the boat is possible? Probably would take an hour/1.5 hours max to get from the location of the boat to where the park is.

Is this even legal?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
dont see why not if you properly tie it down.. take pictures though it will be a first for me to see!! heehee
Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww0517 View Post
dont see why not if you properly tie it down.. take pictures though it will be a first for me to see!! heehee
yeah, thats what i figured (both parts )

The trailer has metal sides...wonder where we could tie down the boat to on the trailer. I think duct tape would be appropriate for this, dontcha think
Old 06-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Train of thought here....

Free boat without a trailer = it's probably laying directly on the ground in someones back yard and not worth anything to worry about it.

Just lay that sucker on its side and strap it down....

At that point, it's 'cargo' and not a boat.

As long as its not protruding over the sides of the trailer or sticking out the back too far, it can't be any less illegal than someone dragging a huge load of lumber that's hanging off the back of a tailgate or trailer.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of a boat? Row-boat style - flip it upside-down and strap it down. Anything else you risk damaging the hull with out proper support. For a temp mount in that case, stack some screwed down 2x4s to cradle the hull just to get it home. Then go find a real trailer. But I'm guessing it's just a row-boat (?) that could be flipped, which is fine on a flatbed trailer.Hell, if its not too wide, throw it in your bed belly up with the gate up and strap it down. Been there done that many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
Like...a flat surface. Anyone ever done it before?

There's a local paintball park near me that has a pond in it. The owner found a free boat that is stripped and doesn't have a trailer.

The owner of the paintball park has a trailer that the boat will fit on.

Anybody think hauling the boat is possible? Probably would take an hour/1.5 hours max to get from the location of the boat to where the park is.

Is this even legal?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Train of thought here....

Free boat without a trailer = it's probably laying directly on the ground in someones back yard and not worth anything to worry about it.

Just lay that sucker on its side and strap it down....

At that point, it's 'cargo' and not a boat.

As long as its not protruding over the sides of the trailer or sticking out the back too far, it can't be any less illegal than someone dragging a huge load of lumber that's hanging off the back of a tailgate or trailer.
Yeah, it's just laying on the ground. I have a feeling it might be kinda difficult to get it up on the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
What kind of a boat? Row-boat style - flip it upside-down and strap it down. Anything else you risk damaging the hull with out proper support. For a temp mount in that case, stack some screwed down 2x4s to cradle the hull just to get it home. Then go find a real trailer. But I'm guessing it's just a row-boat (?) that could be flipped, which is fine on a flatbed trailer.Hell, if its not too wide, throw it in your bed belly up with the gate up and strap it down. Been there done that many times.
Here's the boat: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/zip/1227605640.html

My friend that I'm helping says it's 16' long, 6' wide.

I'm thinking taking off the windshield thingy and anything else that is protruding from the top, then just flip it and put it on the trailer so at least it's flat...
Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh man, you are looking for a project. lol!

Good call on the windshield - either that or go get some 2x4s and made a temp cradle. Being Irish, I'm lazy and would take the latter.

Quote:
Here's the boat: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/zip/1227605640.html

My friend that I'm helping says it's 16' long, 6' wide.

I'm thinking taking off the windshield thingy and anything else that is protruding from the top, then just flip it and put it on the trailer so at least it's flat...
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #8

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh man, you are looking for a project. lol!

Good call on the windshield - either that or go get some 2x4s and made a temp cradle. Being Irish, I'm lazy and would take the latter.
We used 4 ratchet straps to hold it (one in back, one in front, two across cable things (anchors?) on the top of the boat) in place, and the guy gave us old tires that were just laying there to prop it up.

I'm suprised I didn't jack knife and roll the boat and my truck over, as it was the first time i've ever pulled a trailer.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Senility Rocks!

lol! There's an old boat on yer ass...

Have fun, I think you'll have fun bringing her back to life. I know I would.

Quote:
We used 4 ratchet straps to hold it (one in back, one in front, two across cable things (anchors?) on the top of the boat) in place, and the guy gave us old tires that were just laying there to prop it up.

I'm suprised I didn't jack knife and roll the boat and my truck over, as it was the first time i've ever pulled a trailer.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #11

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Way to go. Have fun with that project.
Quote:
lol! There's an old boat on yer ass...

Have fun, I think you'll have fun bringing her back to life. I know I would.
There won't be bringing it back to life. It's going to be used as a prop in a paintball field (fake M2 machine gun (50 cal), mannequins, etc)

At least thats what the new owner of the boat has planned for it.

The tags are from March of 1993. Wonder where it's been for the past 16 years lol.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #12

pittim's Tacoma Gallery

wheres my truck..oh no!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Awkward. Tie it down tight.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Senility Rocks!

And I was worried you'd crack the hull... DOH!

Quote:
There won't be bringing it back to life. It's going to be used as a prop in a paintball field (fake M2 machine gun (50 cal), mannequins, etc)

At least thats what the new owner of the boat has planned for it.

The tags are from March of 1993. Wonder where it's been for the past 16 years lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #15
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
that is great!!!! GOOD JOB!!!!