LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Yacht-surfing

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Yacht-surfing

bad ass...that's a 60 ft yacht they're behind w/o tow lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIIYLy3VZQs

Quote:
Have you ever looked at something wondering if you could do X? For over 10 years I looked at this vessel and the predecessor wondering if you could surf behind it.
Confirmed! Simply put, a 60' yacht, 5 incredibly talented boarders (and a few ugly ones), a 26' chase boat and lots of curiosity.
Thanks to Scott Jobe, Garrett Martin, Brett V, Nick Jobe, Nick the sh*t, and the rest of the gang.What a trip.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.....loved the beer hand-off.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen that out here. In fact, my buddies and I have been experimenting with my boat to see if it could make a large enough wake to do this. With 4 people in the rear, and trimmed up, I think it can. I think my buddy uses a wakeboard though. I dont know.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
VinceXR has a spectacular aura aboutVinceXR has a spectacular aura about

VinceXR's Tacoma Gallery
That is badass. looks fun as hell!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have seen that out here. In fact, my buddies and I have been experimenting with my boat to see if it could make a large enough wake to do this. With 4 people in the rear, and trimmed up, I think it can. I think my buddy uses a wakeboard though. I dont know.
Chris, I think I saw that you have a Bayliner with an I/O. It is highly dangerous to surf behind a boat with an I/O due to the possibility of the rider hitting the prop if they fall. Most people you see doing it are doing it behind wakeboats which have inboards (where the prop is about 2' in front of the transom).
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
Chris, I think I saw that you have a Bayliner with an I/O. It is highly dangerous to surf behind a boat with an I/O due to the possibility of the rider hitting the prop if they fall. Most people you see doing it are doing it behind wakeboats which have inboards (where the prop is about 2' in front of the transom).
Yeah. I actually have an outboard. Lst time we went out, I can make the wake a good size, but it forms too close to the boat. We havent tried it because of this.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah. I actually have an outboard. Lst time we went out, I can make the wake a good size, but it forms too close to the boat. We havent tried it because of this.
I would definitely advise against it then!

I have a few friends with wakeboats and it normally takes full ballast (on the appropriate side according to which way the surfer stands) and people on that side as well.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
I would definitely advise against it then!

I have a few friends with wakeboats and it normally takes full ballast (on the appropriate side according to which way the surfer stands) and people on that side as well.
No worries Pete. I dont let anyone within 50' of the boat when running. Thanks for watching out.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
No worries Pete. I dont let anyone within 50' of the boat when running. Thanks for watching out.
Good deal, sounds like you're as careful on the water as with your truck. Need more people like you on the lakes around here, I've seen some crazy stuff going on. A relative saw a guy falling into the water then not resurfacing at Bartlett a few yrs ago. He had been surfing without a life vest, had a few drinks and breathed in a lot of fumes.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
We used to run a 25' Hydrasport center console. We'd load some water bags for ballast in the rear, trim the outboards up and lay down a wake that my lids surfed all around Sarasota Bay. We got lots of looks trolling down the Federal channel with two surfers behind.

Had to watch the speed. If I went too fast the wake would start to flatten out. If I went to slow it didn't have enough force. Aobout 15 mph worked really well.

As for outboards and inboard outboards there really is no problem so long as the surfer is farther back than he can fall forward. 20 feet is completely adequate because if they fall they can't hit the boat or prop and the boat is moving away from them.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
Skurfing is alot easier if you turn the boat in a large circle and put all the weight on the inside. The inside wake is much more rideable.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
done it
55 foot sport fishing boat did it when we would go fill up with fuel it was a blast and wore me out fast but it was like a 4 foot never ending wave
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You need to weigh the boat down so it'll make a bigger wake farther back from the boat.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
"100% pure adrenaline." lol pretty cool. had no idea this was possible.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Guys will ride the wakes off of tankers for MILES in some of the larger ship channels (Houston Galveston comes to mind: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/990513/posts

Used to live real close to where those guys were launching from to go out in the bay to do this. Haven't been out there myself to do that due to no boat (and wanting to keep my job) Cool freakin stuff. Who's got a boat, I know where to go
Old 11-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
that looks fun as heck. I'd like to try it in my kayak.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
You need to weigh the boat down so it'll make a bigger wake farther back from the boat.
That's why I used the water bags for ballast in the rear.