LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Replacing your water pump/impeller for your boat

Old 07-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Replacing your water pump/impeller for your boat

I replaced mine a couple of years ago without any idea how to do it(below are links on step by step instructions). It took me about 2 hours & was easy. When they say water pump, really all you are replacing is the impeller (& replace the seals if needed). The impeller on the left is bad. The one on the right is how it should look.

I will replace mine at the end of the summer. It is good to replace it every few years or so. I figured since we talk about repairing our trucks. We needed this write up for our boats also. You can save hundreds of $$$ doing it yourself. I think it cost me about $20-$30 for an impeller last time.

Mercury:

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/sttips.htm

Evinrude & Johnson:
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/johnrudetips.htm

Mercury Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uzQi7IgwU
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
stuckified. Thanks Sean.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome info!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Awsome info!!!
It is easy to do, even for a noob.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
It is easy to do, even for a noob.
LMAO! I need to do this to mine.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
ill probably order one for my motor this winter seeing as the last time i did it, was well over 4 years ago, and the boat has sat winterized for 3 years
Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
ill probably order one for my motor this winter seeing as the last time i did it, was well over 4 years ago, and the boat has sat winterized for 3 years

Probably wouldn't hurt. I plan on changing mine after fall fishing.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Captain Analyzer
DionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to beholdDionysiosA76 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dionysios
DionysiosA76's Tacoma Gallery
We have twin 2stroke 8v71TA Detroit Diesel's (VERY dirty, noisy, but simple as hell engines) in our 37' Mainship that are equipped with Sherwood water pumps that on average require replacement every 10-15 running hours. Needless to say we have the sherwood guy on our speed dial
Old 12-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #9
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
I do mine every 2-3 years and replace the t-stat and pop off valve at the same time. The parts aren't that expensive, it is pretty easy to do and I don't want to have to come home on trolling motor or worse, paddle!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I do mine every 2-3 years and replace the t-stat and pop off valve at the same time. The parts aren't that expensive, it is pretty easy to do and I don't want to have to come home on trolling motor or worse, paddle!
What is the t-stat & pop off valve? Pics would help. Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Thermostat and pop off (poppet). On my merc, they are in the engine block under a cast cap with a few bolts. Much like replacing the t-stat in a car but easier to get to

Tbe attachment is a snap from the merc parts page - the poppet is 39, the t-stat 44, etc. i replace 38- 47 with the exception of 45 and 46. Not that expensive and after 8 years in the hard water around here, worth the piece of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing your water pump/impeller for your boat-capture.png  
Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Thermostat and pop off (poppet). On my merc, they are in the engine block under a cast cap with a few bolts. Much like replacing the t-stat in a car but easier to get to

Tbe attachment is a snap from the merc parts page - the poppet is 39, the t-stat 44, etc. i replace 38- 47 with the exception of 45 and 46. Not that expensive and after 8 years in the hard water around here, worth the piece of mind.
That looks a little beyond my capabilities. I have a 1991 175 Mercury. I can do some things. But when comes to inside the engine I'm gun shy.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysiosA76 View Post
We have twin 2stroke 8v71TA Detroit Diesel's (VERY dirty, noisy, but simple as hell engines) in our 37' Mainship that are equipped with Sherwood water pumps that on average require replacement every 10-15 running hours. Needless to say we have the sherwood guy on our speed dial

Wow! 10-15hours? That would get expensive.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery

I have a Bass Pro near me. Their service dept is top notch! I have had repairs done where they quoted me one price, but when the work was completed they have always come in way under the quoted price.