Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

How to? Walleye through ice?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
How to? Walleye through ice?

Thinking about trying ice fishing for walleye possibly this coming weekend. Been somewhat successful catching them at this particular reservoir in Idaho in open water, but never tried ice fishing for Walleye.
Wondering if anyone could give me some tips for how to fish walleye through the ice. Is it any different than fishing for trout or kokanee or perch? By the way, no live miinnows allowed in Idaho.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself some weighted jig heads and just bump a 3-4" grub off the bottom...try chartruse colors and white...that always worked for me when I lived in Indiana. One time I caught a 7 lb wally using the tactics I mentioned above
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
I like Swedish Pimples, Do-Jiggers, and Jigging Raps. Maybe try tipping them with Berkly Gulp since you can't use live bait? Just like Scott said above, bump them off bottom. I've had good luck fishing weed edges (if still alive) and shallow flats close to deeper water.

Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
Swedish Pimple ... with an eye from the first perch that comes along.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
adktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: mm-subs
Name: danny
adktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Swedish Pimple ... with an eye from the first perch that comes along

an eye for an eye i always say
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
adktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of light
oh, and good luck, let us know how it goes, no ice here yet except on the small ponds
Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the tips. I will be able to try all of them (well maybe not the gulp, too expesive for me, but excellent idea). We are allowed 5 holes and 5 poles here in Idaho. One of the ways I catch them in the non-ice months on this particular reservoir is like fishing for the smallmouth bass that exist in the same reservoir. Basically, I throw a curly tail grub to the rocky bank and retrieve and most of the time that I catch one it is a smallie and sometimes it is a walleye.
Not sure if I am going walleye ice fishing this coming weekend; depends on the weather. This particular reservoir is over 100 miles away. If i go i will report accordingly.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
Did not make it to try for walleye this weekend. Went for kokanee at another reservoir. My brother caught 1 nice one and I caught 1 little one. Slow day; nevetheless it was a nice day. Once i get out to try for the walleye, I will update again.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
alteredillusions has a spectacular aura aboutalteredillusions has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: SSgt Vehicle Mechanic/Autobody
alteredillusions's Tacoma Gallery
When I lived in ID ice fishing was just a good excuse to go get drunk. never went for walleye but pike fished. ot went to MT for lake trout. I miss them days.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
finally, 3 inches of beautiful clear ice on schroon lake. Goin out in the morning for salmon and lakers.We get 5 tipups and 3 hand lines here in ny. Remember to use your ice pics and good judgment on early ice folks, i got wet a few years ago, good fun and all, but don't wanna do it again
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
What are you using for live bait on Schroon? Something local?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
we buy icicles or suckers at the bait store, bait here got severely regulated this year because of a virus. All bait must be certified with proof of purchase on the bank or in the boat. Can.t trap your own bait anymore and the price went up considerably.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
I'm in NY, but I don't like to admit it. Icicles? You got me there. Is that shiners or smelt?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
ya, small shiners,smelt work good to, even frozen but they are illegal on some lakes like lake George. Where're you at rebel?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
I fish mostly (not lately) for northerns in Chippewa Bay on the St. Lawrence and Henderson Bay and Sackets Harbor in Lake Ontario. I used to spend a lot of weekends at Oneida Lake for walleye and jack perch.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
lol rebel, i was born and raised in these north woods, but after living in the south for awhile i started telling people i was from Canada. It's funny how most folks associate ny with nyc, gives us a bad rep. Is this your first winter up here?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
sweet man, that's some good fishing around you, i take the boat to henderson a few times a year, troll king salmon outta the trench, it's about a 5 hour drive though
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktacoma View Post
lol rebel, i was born and raised in these north woods, but after living in the south for awhile i started telling people i was from Canada. It's funny how most folks associate ny with nyc, gives us a bad rep. Is this your first winter up here?
This is true, and it sucks. Hey lost, Where exactly are you?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Born and raised here. The LostRebel is from living in NY, but wishing the state was more like the south. Long story.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostRebel View Post
Born and raised here. The LostRebel is from living in NY, but wishing the state was more like the south. Long story.
Dude, no need to explain. I totally understand.