1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UTC Bass Anglers

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by rhion82, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Hey guys I just joined our bass fishing team at UTC so I thought I would just post it on here about the team. I haven't fished in any tournaments yet but next month I'm gonna open up a can of whoop ass.

Collegiate Bass fishing has been around for several years. However, within the last couple of years, this new collegiate sport has become more and more publicized and recognized. There are now collegiate fishing events being televised on the Versus channel and ESPN channels. The main college fishing trails are FLW College Fishing, College Bass, and the Boat U.S. Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship. Several schools have also established and are hosting their own tournament trails.

Our team was founded by Alex Craw, our current president, in October of 2008. We started out with 5 members and have since grown to over 20 members. I
    The goal of our team is to promote the sport of bass fishing and to provide an opportunity for all students to participate in competitive bass fishing at a collegiate level. Being a part of the UTC Mocs Bass Anglers will allow members to compete against club teams at other colleges and universities in a sport that we all love. We realize that our generation is responsible for the preservation and growth of competitive bass angling and therefore make it our goal to represent our sport, our sponsors, and our university with class and enthusiasm.

History: 2009
    In 2009 we fished in a dozen events around the Southeast, participating in tournaments in Florida, Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, & Tennessee. We participate in all three college circuits including the FLW College Fishing, Boat U.S. Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship Series, and College Bass which hosts the Under Armour National Championship (seen on ESPN).
    Of the 4 FLW College Fishing events, our team finished 8th place out of 40 boats at Lake Santee Cooper in South Carolina and 7th place out of 40 boats at Lake Wheeler in Alabama.
    * 1st out of 18 in an invitational tournament hosted by MTSU at tims ford lake in Winchester, tn
    * 4th out of 20 in the Southern Collegiate Bass Fishing Series Championship (hosted by Auburn University) at lake Wilson in Alabama
    * Top finishing Tennessee school out of 4 in the Under Armor College Bass National Championship in Little Rock, AR. (other TN schools who competed: UTK, Tennessee Tech, and Tennessee-Martin)

On November 14, 2009, we hosted our first tournament which was an invitational tournament to help promote our new tournament trail which will begin this year. Being the first tournament we have ever hosted, we were very pleased with our outcome. We had 14 collegiate teams, representing 4 TN schools, come and participate. I believe that our preparation really showed in the organization of this event. A special thanks to the CBA (Chattanooga Bass Association) for helping prepare and run this tournament.
    Results: Team Taylor Massingill and Alex Craw of UTC finish 3rd out of 14 teams.
    1st Place - Joey Mallicoat & Mac Jones from TN Tech with 5 Fish weighing 12.30 lbs (3.61lbs)
    2nd Place - Seth Davis & Josh Haskins from TN Tech with 5 Fish weighing 11.36 lbs (2.80lbs)
    3rd Place – Taylor Massingill & Alex Craw from UTC with 5 fish weighing 11.27 lbs (2.64lbs)
    4th Place – Bradley Cooper & Evan Harb from UTK with 5 fish weighing 9.57 lbs (2.09 lbs)
    5th Place – Cody Gass & Adam Goodwin from TN Tech with 3 fish weighing 6.78 lbs (2.80 lbs)
    6th Place – Travis McFalls & David Lambert from UTK with 3 fish weighing 4.77 lbs (2.02 lbs)
    7th Place – Marcos Sanchez & Kyle Hillis from MTSU with 2 fish weighing 3.38 lbs
    8th Place – Parker Bacon & Casey Murray from UTC with 1 fish weighing 3.26 lbs (3.26 lbs)
    9th Place – Brent Hollis & Ryan Maddux from TN Tech with 2 fish weighing 2.85 lbs
    10th Place – Ryan Beeler & Luke Aaron from UTK with 1 fish weighing 2.60 lbs (2.60 lbs)
    11th Place – Caleb Lim & Robert Stewart from UTK with 1 fish weighing 2.26 lbs (2.26 lbs)
    12th Place – Cody Britton & Levi Coxey from TN Tech with 1 fish weighing 2.07 lbs (2.07 lbs)
    T-13th Place – Nick Pratt & Jayme Copenhaver from UTC with 0 fish
    T-13th Place – Josh Flowers & Cody Deason from TN Tech with 0 fish

2010 Tennessee Collegiate Bass Fishing Trail (TCBFT)- all new tournament trail being hosted by the members of UTC’s bass fishing team this year. (*first university in Tennessee to host a bass fishing trail)
    Goals for trail:
    1) To provide a competitive and affordable tournament trail in Tennessee, that is centrally located for many colleges (Tennessee borders eight states).
    2) To fish different lakes across the state as to learn multiple fishing techniques.
    3) To reward the top anglers (with plaques and prizes) for each qualifying event as well as for overall performance throughout the TCBFT.
    * The trail will consist of 4 qualifying events and a 2 day championship at the end of the year which will be held on Lake Chickamauga.
    * In each event, the top 3 places along with the biggest fish will be rewarded with cash prizes and plaques.
    * Each angler that fishes each event will also be competing for points that will count towards crowning the TCBFT Champion after the completion of all five events.
    *More information on our new tournament trail along with results and other information on our team can be found on our website.

Sponsors- Moonpie (Chattanooga Bakery), Chattanooga Fish n Fun, Joe’s Custom Rods (by Joe Burns in Cleveland, TN), Industrial Boiler & Mechanical Company (Chattanooga, TN), CBA (Chattanooga Bass Association), Chattanooga Fishing Forum (Chattanoogafishingforum.com), Vicious Fishing, Pure Fishing (a company which owns brands such as Abu Garcia, Berkley, Stren, All-Star, Pfleuger, and other brands), FLW College Fishing, College Bass, Boat U.S. Collegiate Bass Fishing Championship, and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

* We are also in the process of talking to Lowrance, Triton Boats, and Mercury about possible partnerships.

Our team and its members continue to actively seek support from local corporations as well as members of the fishing industry.

We encourage the students and faculty of utc to show their appreciation towards our sponsors whom have demonstrated much support to our fishing team, and therefore our university, in helping our team to develop and become what it is today. With traveling expenses, entry fees, and merchandise expense, we honestly would not be able to do it without them.

* We hope you guys will come out and support our team and our trail at our 2 day championship event on June 10-11 on Chickamauga Lake (Chester Frost Park)

Please visit our website: utcbassfishing.com (for more info and tournament scheduals)

Thanks,

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    That is awesome, I wish they would have had this when I was in college. I am pretty sure Kansas State, my alum, has a college team now.

What is your strong point when it comes to bass fishing? Jigs, cranks, spinning? I am more of a finesse fisher, lighter line and smaller plastics. It seems to suit the waters around here a little better.

Good luck to you, make sure to keep this thread updated with some pics of ripping some lip!

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Yeah I do believe that they have a club as of now.

Well my strong point would have to be spinners, but plastic works the best I believe down here. It just depends on what waters your in down here.

Yeah we have the first leg of the tournament next month so I will post up some pictures of my team holding the 1st place trophy lol...

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Sounds great keep us posted. I think the college bass deal is so cool. Man I wish they had that when I was in school. I got about two months until any sign of the spawn, so that gives me a lot of time to get the gear ready for another year...I am pumped.

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Yeah I just want to keep doing what I love. I figured I'm gonna fish anyway why not do it to rep my school. Yeah I just now gotta take my boat out to get some of the rust off it and make sure its running right. Lord knows I dont want to break down during my first tournament.

6. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    good luck on your tournamnets. post up some pics and standings after your events. let me know if yall ever make it out here to Texas. I took advantage of the warm weather we had last week and caught a few but now its cold again:mad:

7. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    rhion82

rhion82 [OP] El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    TN/GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco
    Well actually if we catch the right fish we will be in Dallas Tx at Lake Lewisville for the Boat U.S. Collegiate Bass Championship in May 24-28.

8. Jan 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    If you end up going there is a ton of info on www.texasfishingforum.com
    I am not to far from lewisville so let me know if it happens for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top