Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

3 year old gas

Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
3 year old gas

Howdy. Just traded in the old 20' bowrider for a 23' chris craft scorpion. pretty cool boat. brand new jasper 350 crate motor, cammed, springs, lifters, high rise headers, thru hall, etc. anyway the boat was in storage for 3 years with half a tank of gas in it (70 gallon tank). It runs really good and strong, starts right up, but has a miss below 2000 rpms and is idling a little rough, which i'm attributing to the old gas. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good additive or anything i could add to the gas? if not do you think it would be better to run this gas out of it before refilling with fresh or just fill the tank with fresh now to dilute the shittyness of the old gas? I was just thinking the TW motorheads out there might think of something I hadn't. thanks everyone.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I would suck out the old gas, and replace with new. Gasoline can start to go bad in 6 months. No idea how much water you may have in that tank. Get it all out, and replace with new stuff.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Gas that has not been treated is usually crap within 6 months or less. I would try to get that stuff out of your boat and put fresh gas in. Sta-bil only works at keeping good gas fresh, it will not freshen old gas.

edit. Sorry, Chris beat me to it.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel begins to turn to laquer after about 3 months unless something like sta-bal was added. I would drain the old gas and start with new
Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
Pump that crap out! Good gravy.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
damn. thats like $100 worth of gas. where would i even dump it? besides the chesapeake or my storm drain!
A local Boat shop can take it for you, useually for a fee of about $20.00 or so. They charge about 1/2 hour labor to pump it out for ya.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ looks like it's been covered pretty well, but just another suggestion...after you get the old gas pumped/drained out, running a tank of premium through it with some injector cleaner couldn't hurt....this is asumeing it doesn't already require premium.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
silver09taco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: Clayton
silver09taco's Tacoma Gallery
i would add a bottle of HEAT water remover and pump about 5 gal of new gas into it. the new gas will clean up any sludge type crap that some of the old gas has created. done this many times with generators for fuel systems and has never failed
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
alright so i'm going to pump the rest of the gas out tomorrow. Can any of you gurus think of anything else I could do besides just get as much out as possible, adding a full tank of fresh gas, and changing the water seperator/ fuel filter? additives? tricks? carb cleaner? or should the new gas clear everything out? thanks guys.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan07sport View Post
alright so i'm going to pump the rest of the gas out tomorrow. Can any of you gurus think of anything else I could do besides just get as much out as possible, adding a full tank of fresh gas, and changing the water seperator/ fuel filter? additives? tricks? carb cleaner? or should the new gas clear everything out? thanks guys.
If the boat sat for three years without being ran, it would be a good idea to pull the float bowls off the carb and clean everything out. Check the needle and seat while you're at it and give it good cleaning. Old gas can really gum up the inside of a carb if it sits there too long. Should be pretty easy and quick too.