Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Lookin' to buy a bass boat

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
Question Lookin' to buy a bass boat

I would like some advice on what model of bass boat to buy in the 20 to 26k dollar range. My picks so far are the Tracker Tournament V-18 or the Nitro Z-7. Any others?? I currently fish Philpott Lake in southern Virginia but want a boat big enough to put into Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Gaston or John Kerr Resrvoir.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
For 20-26k the field is wide open. I've seen 2-3 year old Rangers & Tritons for that price.

Check boat trader.com

Also look for bank repos from a marine liquidator for steals.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Go to bass boat central online look at boats for sale if you want new there are several maker's in that price range nitro,procraft, G3.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a Triton, you can't beat there dependability and they are made very well. Go check one out and compare it to others. Also stay away from Mercury 2 stroke motors, the Evinrude e-tec is probably the best you can get right now along with a yamaha 4 stroke...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I would stay away from 4 strokes. They seem to end up in the shop alot. Everyone I know that bought a 4 stroke, wishes they would have gotten the 2 stroke. Due to constant problems. I would give a few more years on the 4 strokes & the technology evolves.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
4 strokes do require more maintenance and are heavier but are more efficient and a lot more quiet. Thats why I love the e-tec though, you get the weight, maintenance and speed of a 2 stroke but economy and quietness of a 4 stroke. We will probably soon see an end to all 2 stroke outboards because of the epa...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nitro FTMFW!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my brother has an older STRATOS. he bought it for 16k NEW! well, they ran it for some pictures for that year's catalog. best deal ever..he has run the crap out of it.

now? prices are really up. the creature comforts are really out there. hydraulic steering for one..i would buy a used boat. they are all good. SKEETER, RANGER, TRITON, STRATOS, NITRO,...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
4 strokes do require more maintenance and are heavier but are more efficient and a lot more quiet. Thats why I love the e-tec though, you get the weight, maintenance and speed of a 2 stroke but economy and quietness of a 4 stroke. We will probably soon see an end to all 2 stroke outboards because of the epa...

Yes four strokes do require more maintenance there good for heavy boat's. As for a bass boat you want a two stroke their lighter and alot of bass boat's wont carry the weight of a four stroke unless you down size the motor being the boat's rated for a 200hp at 505lbs you would have to give up your horse power for an equal weight four stroke say like a 150hp. And as far as mercury and evinrude go it's your own opion on who's better I love merc two stroke's and the Etec is just advertising Caugh!!! Bull Shit!!! They ran those test's on tv againts four strokes not two strokes get one head 2 head with and mercury optimax and see who's the winner.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
You have a nice budget there to spend. If it was me, I would not buy a new boat. For that kind of money you can get a top of the line used boat. Boats are worse than cars and trucks when it comes to resell...used boats are so cheap right now, you can practically steal them.

If I was going to buy new in that price range I would go G3, or Nitro. The casting decks on these new boats are so wide and stable it is like fishing on a Cadillac.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Im not sure about the brand new Mercurys but the older models had a big problem with the oil injection system, it would stop injecting oil and spray straight gas into the cylinder. After that the powerhead was usually toast. I have by-passed a few of the mercury oil injection systems along with the evinrude vro system and seen them last for years though, you just have to mix your own fuel.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter160 View Post
Im not sure about the brand new Mercurys but the older models had a big problem with the oil injection system, it would stop injecting oil and spray straight gas into the cylinder. After that the powerhead was usually toast. I have by-passed a few of the mercury oil injection systems along with the evinrude vro system and seen them last for years though, you just have to mix your own fuel.

My 91 Merc 175hp runs without any issues. I have had the boat for 6 years now.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
I personally cant stand Nitro (rides like a sardine can in my experiences) The best fiberglass out there is Ranger without a doubt. Althought theyre all good. Don't over look bass cat. Those are some BA boats. I sold the fiberglass stratos I had. I have a bass tracker pro 175 alum now. It has a 50 Merc. It wont win any races but it fishes damn well. And Im not scared to take it back places the 21' Fiberglass boys wouldnt get close to. Not to mention i got it for 8 grand
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a lot of nice boats out there but I'll give another vote for Stratos,I bought this boat new in 97 its a 1774 Dual console and has a 150 Evinrude 2 stroke ,haven't had a minutes trouble other than a trim /tilt silinoid a 20 dollar part..And I fish it 3 to 4 days a week spring till the snow flies in Dec..
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
my buddy bought a 20' stratos lat year, thing is super clean! its an 01 IFIRC. the 2 stroke on it is a mercury i want to say. the thing with the two stroke motors (as it was explained to me) is that 2 strokes are finicky and picky motors. once you figure out its little quirks they are great motors. and at 200hp, plenty fast. only bummer is mixing the oil and gas by hand but worth if for the price he got the boat for! damn i miss fishing season. . .
You donít mix the oil & gas in big motors anymore. I think they went to the oil injection back in 1980. Bass boats have a 2 gallon or so tank where the oil goes & it gets mixed at the motor. My 83 Ranger has a 2 gallon oil tank & 2 14 gallon gas tanks.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes all of the mid range and higher hp 2 stroke motors are oil injection.The oil is in a seperate tank ...
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I did a lot of research before buying my boat. What I found is that you have to consider what body of water you fish on and what you are fishing for. The boat will also depend on your tow vehicle.

I ended up getting a used Bass Tracker that had been totaly rebuilt from the ground up (including trailer) and had all of the wood (except transom) replaced with alum. then carpeted. I got the alum. boat because I fish in brushy areas and pull the boat up on the bank where there are rocks quite often. For what I wanted, this was a good buy for me considering all of the factors I thought were important. I was not into the speed thing and did not want a glass boat because of what I tow with and where I fish...and how far I have to tow to the different lakes I go to. I never go to salt water in my boat so that was also a factor also.
Attached Thumbnails
Lookin' to buy a bass boat-85tracker1.jpg   Lookin' to buy a bass boat-85tracker2.jpg   Lookin' to buy a bass boat-85tracker3.jpg   Lookin' to buy a bass boat-85tracker4.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidfor View Post
I did a lot of research before buying my boat. What I found is that you have to consider what body of water you fish on and what you are fishing for. The boat will also depend on your tow vehicle.

I ended up getting a used Bass Tracker that had been totaly rebuilt from the ground up (including trailer) and had all of the wood (except transom) replaced with alum. then carpeted. I got the alum. boat because I fish in brushy areas and pull the boat up on the bank where there are rocks quite often. For what I wanted, this was a good buy for me considering all of the factors I thought were important. I was not into the speed thing and did not want a glass boat because of what I tow with and where I fish...and how far I have to tow to the different lakes I go to. I never go to salt water in my boat so that was also a factor also.
Congrats on the purchase!

Fyi theTacoma will tow a fiberglass bass boat fine with no issue.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #19
BowhunterTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Corey
BowhunterTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a Blazer...they're built in pensacola florida right down about 2 hours from me rode in 4 or 5 of them sweet ride and a 20 footer with a 250 will go 80+ MPH....those boats are sweet