Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Want to start Fly Fishing. Advice?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Want to start Fly Fishing. Advice?

Love to bass fish. Figured i'd like trout fishing as well. Never really tried it.

Dont have a fly rod or any fly stuff. And i think Fly fishing would be better than a small open face rod and reel (which I already have).

I have no idea what to use, where to start, or what to buy.

Any advice for a beginner?

And for the meantime, i think im gonna try to catch some trout with my small openface reel.

Any tips on what to use with this type of setup? Size line? Size hook? Bait?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Find a local class. That's what I will be doing and fortunately there is a place here that has a free 2 hr beginner class here
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
like he said find a local class or fly fishing organization that gives classes. There's one around here that does clinics every few months on things like intro to fly fishing, intro to fly tying, fly casting, etc. I'd pick up a couple of books on it too. "The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide" is a pretty good one. You can pick up a beginner rod/reel combo for around $100 or so. Fly fishing equipment gets expensive fast, but you can still do good with a cheap combo. I've been fishing with a cheap combo for over 10 years, but I mainly fish for bass and bream which takes a lot less finesse than trout.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know anything about fly fishing but you can catch a lot of trout with a small open face rod for pretty cheap if you already have the rod/ reel. i would use a light rod with 4lb line. i prefer vanish line but you can use whatever. if you want to fish stock trout then i would use powerbait. my favorite is original and rainbow, but also use white on days when they have been fished heavily because not many people use that. for wild trout any grub or nightcrawler will work. if you are using nightcrawlers cut them in half, or even thirds if it is big. to cast for trout, there are a few strategies that work for different areas
if you are in a quick moving wide stream you have to "pick pockets" basically find a pocket of water in the stream where a rock slows the water down and the fish will hide underneath there. basically they want to not to have to swim to hard so look for the slowest water. if it is a smaller stream, throw it in a little upstream of where you think they are and let it float down to them. i would but a single split shot on the line b size.
if you are in a lake, but on bait of choice and add a bobber about 2 feet above the bait with a small split shot 6-8inches above and just throw it in and wait a few minutes. if they dont hit, move a little then throw in again.

just like bass fishing, the best way to learn it is just to get out there and do it. look at other people and figure out what they are doing and don't be afraid to ask. most people will give you a tip or two without any hassle

the one thing i will say though is stock trout fishers are ass holes sometimes and will come stand right next to you if you are catching fish so just get used to that.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
I had a roomate in college that would fly fish on the weekends and in the early morning before class. He was mysterious about his hobby but he said you can always tell the people that learned how to fly fish on TV because they just whip the bait around constantly.

So don't do that.

Other than that, everything I know about fly fishing I learned on TV!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
adktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: mm-subs
Name: danny
adktacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I usually use ultralight gear for trout, but when the hatch is on there is nothin more fun than catching them on a flyrod. Like others have said, check with your local tackle shops for a free class, most have them this time of year. I find that I usually catch brookies in the pools and pockets and the rainbows out in the current. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
adktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of lightadktacoma is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, and don't forget, catchin bass on a flyrod is a blast, they make poppers just for flyrods.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, didnt expect so may answers so fast. Thanks guys. I saw a cheap fly setup at Dicks the other day for like 50$. I might pick that up and see what happens. In the meantime, think im gonna try it with my little ultralight.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I'm a well seasoned fly fisher from the mountains of Idaho and Montana.

The best thing to do is have a friend or guide get you on the river and give you a personal lesson.

Buy a nice beginners combo (rod, real and line). I like a 9ft, 5 weight rod. Match that with a 5 weight, weight forward, tapered, floating fly line. This fly line will help you cast easier. Behind the fly line should be some backing that is attached to the reel.

One of the biggest issues with beginners is not being able to cast the fly out far enough...the line just piles up at your feet. To avoid this, try to learn the roll cast first, it will avoid having to back cast. Once you start the classic fly casting motion..make sure you PAUSE on both the back cast and the forward cast to allow the fly, and line to unroll...keep the line taut.

you might first try a stream that doesn't have a lot of bushes/trees on the bank to avoid snagging them while you cast.

If you are fishing dry flies, cast upstream, allow the fly to float on the water without dragging. Strip in the excess line as the fly floats toward you.

Well that's all for now, but there is much more to learn.

Let me know if you have any specific questions
Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
that's some good info Griz, I'd like to add something an oldtimer taught me when he saw me thrashing the water one time. On the back cast watch the line come tight behind you and use a flyswatter motion on the forward cast, hard to explain but think of swatting a fly with your pole. You can practice casting in your yard with no fly on, simply casting to a target on the grass. We don't get much of a mayfly hatch up here, mainly we use bead headed caddisfly sinkers that don't need an expert presentation. Ya, lol on the responses, fisherman love to talk about fishin.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
Tampa OG
streetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the roughstreetdriven is a jewel in the rough
Name: Rich
streetdriven's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to streetdriven Send a message via Yahoo to streetdriven
I tried to get into it. Paid $700 for the rod and and fly reel. I used it maybe 5 times and I hate it
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #12
My other car is a Bugatti
steelerfan7p will become famous soon enough

Name: Yes
Location: Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champions)
steelerfan7p's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure where you live or where your willing to travel to, but there is a catch and release area along the Elk River in Randolf County that would be really good for starting out. Its wide but not too deep and has many fish in it. I believe they also have guides that will take you out and help teach you if you want it.