1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need tips for catching crawdads/crayfish!!!

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Sheepdog, May 9, 2010.

1. May 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    My buddy and I went up to the local lake last night in hopes of catching a bunch of crawdads to bring home and pig out on. We took a trap with us and fishing poles and didn't catch a damn thing. We saw ONE the whole time we were there and didn't catch it. We used hot doggs on our trebble hooks on the rods and canned cat food in the trap. Does anybody have ANY tips, input or anything to help us catch them?

Thanks

2. May 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    tacoeater

tacoeater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Im not sure the spelling on it but you need a minnow sane. Basically some wire mesh, about half inch holes, on two sticks/poles. Get in some shallow water in a riffle or where the current is moving swiftly. Have a buddy stand downstream and hold the sane. Then you take a metal rake and start raking the ground/rocks above him. The crawdads will drift downstream and get caught in the mesh. If you get in a good enough riffles you will catch them by the 100's. Hope that makes sense.

3. May 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    When we were kids we used to just wade around in shallow water and pick up the small rocks. There was one under just about every rock we moved. They take off backwards, so you need to be quick to get em.

4. May 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    From my extensive crawdad fishing experience (I gre up near a river), you have to find where some fast moving water kind of stops abruptly, cuasing a semi-deep slow moving "pool". they like it because theres plenty of food moving fast to them but the current isnt bad at all.hen all you need is any kind of line (thicker is better), a big hook, and some kind of meat. I have always like using roast beef (little more expensive but they go ape-shit). stick it right in front of crevices and in front of rocks and just wait for them to come out and snag it. wait until they have both claws and mouth on it, and then just yank em up. good fishing!

5. May 10, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    ok. here is what we did. make a trap. tacoeater is correct, it looked like minnow seine. imagine a semi rigid, upside down, square parachute. we used wire clothes hangers and a cheap minnow net. the net ended up as a 2 feet by 2 feet square. put a piece of string in the middle. we used some scrap of excess netting, and wrapped chicken livers into it and tied it to the center string. lower a bunch of these traps, give it an hour, and start making your rounds. we trapped hundreds. just lift the nets smooth and fast and your bring up the crayfish. keep in a aerated clean water, (change water daily) to let them crap out all the shit.

6. May 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    moe1967

moe1967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD DC Off-Road PreRunner
    Google Crawfish Traps from Louisiana to give you an idea how its done in Louisiana. There are traps for specific for farmed crawfish and some for river crawfish. Without a doubt, there is more crawfish consumed in Louisiana than anywhere in the world.

7. May 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    I used to use bacon, years an years ago, but I remember catching quite a few.

8. May 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Crawfish traps along with some nasty, preferable spoiling, chicken (or meat or any kind really).

Let sit for a few days. Come back and retrieve your om nom nom.

You willy probably get some catfish and possibly turtles too. Just throw back whatever you don't plan on eating.

9. May 10, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    oregon.country

oregon.country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mackenzie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 TRD Black
    Level kit, and rancho coil over shocks.
    I know here in Oregon we catch crawdads in our creeks and we just use a crawdad trap. We usually put cut up fish like herring you buy at a fishing supply store. Its important to have the insides of the herring exposed so the scent can spread out and attract the crawdads. This always works good for us.

10. May 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    When I went to my friend's cabin on Thompson Lake, Montana, we'd go out every night and catch bucketloads of them. You have to go get them at night, because they hide in the daytime. My friends would usually do the aforementioned meat on a fishing line technique, but i found that they usually let go of the meat more than half of the time. So I just roll up my pants and sleeves and, with a flashlight shining not directly on them, grab them by hand.

My bucket always filled up faster than everybody else's.

11. May 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Tacofanatic05'

Tacofanatic05' #1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Waynesville/Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    05' Tacoma 4x4 sr5, 3 Inch lift
    16'' American Racing wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer St tires, Bilstein 5100 w/eibach coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, 1 in 2 out exhaust. Tractor Supply Tool Box, No Mud Flaps, Mossy Oak Seat Covers, Oakley Decals, Hoyt Decal, Window tint 20% on sides 5% on top front windshield, Uniden Cb, and Window Deflectors.
    They make a trap just for crawfish! Duh

12. May 10, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    [​IMG]

cut up two hot dogs into pieces...put in trap, place trap in good crawdad habitat...wait 1-2 days...presto!

you eat them? lol i use them for bait to catch something that's actually tasty :D

13. May 10, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I got to a lake about 2 hours from me to go camping a couple times a summer and luckily there is a good amount of crawdads in it. We lure them in with some hot dogs on a string and just put a fishing net behind them. Then we just scoop them up with the net. Its real easy for us actually!!:D

14. May 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    make something like this...here found a pic for you. dont buy one...if you cant tie knots and bend coat hangers..you have bigger problems ;)

cnt.jpg

15. May 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Crawfish are fucking delicious.

16. May 10, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    x2 It may just be something us southerners do :D I love em. Shrimp E'toufee or fried is where its at. Or just boil it up like you would shrimp.

Do this, Go fish from the bank, as you catch fish, put em on a stringer and put the stringer down in the water near gravel or chunk rock where crawfish are. They will come out and start eating on you fish. every once in a while just slowly pull the stringer out of the water....crawfish won't let go. Then pull em off and drop em in a bucket. Or set out a trap in a small creek somewhere. I just use white bread and it works great.... I use a trap like the one posted above.

17. May 10, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    The best method is just to have a very close friend since childhood whose grandfather happens to be a crawfish farmer by trade with like 30 acres of crawfish ponds. When you want some, just call him up.

This is the technique I've been using since I was 5 years old.

18. May 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    this is very similar to my method...i have a buddy who's dad works for a large engineering firm who's owners are from Louisiana...they have contacts...when they order...the crawfish show up in jumbo coolers on a plane a couple days later

then i show up and help feast :D

19. May 10, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    Sheepdog

Sheepdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab, 4x4, TRD, SR5
    Eibach/Bilsteins, Beefed shackles, Bushwacker Cut-Outs, Custom roll bar, TG Sliders, Elite Front Bumper, XRC8 Winch
    VERY true!!! They're the poor man's/red neck's lobster. Sooooo tasty!!!

Thanks for all the tips guys !!! I'll make a few of the traps you guys posted pics/ideas of and we'll see which ones I have the best luck with. Anybody have tips for where to look for them in lakes???

Products Discussed in

To Top