Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

I need tips for catching crawdads/crayfish!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
I need tips for catching crawdads/crayfish!!!

My buddy and I went up to the local lake last night in hopes of catching a bunch of crawdads to bring home and pig out on. We took a trap with us and fishing poles and didn't catch a damn thing. We saw ONE the whole time we were there and didn't catch it. We used hot doggs on our trebble hooks on the rods and canned cat food in the trap. Does anybody have ANY tips, input or anything to help us catch them?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
tacoeater will become famous soon enoughtacoeater will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
tacoeater's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure the spelling on it but you need a minnow sane. Basically some wire mesh, about half inch holes, on two sticks/poles. Get in some shallow water in a riffle or where the current is moving swiftly. Have a buddy stand downstream and hold the sane. Then you take a metal rake and start raking the ground/rocks above him. The crawdads will drift downstream and get caught in the mesh. If you get in a good enough riffles you will catch them by the 100's. Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
When we were kids we used to just wade around in shallow water and pick up the small rocks. There was one under just about every rock we moved. They take off backwards, so you need to be quick to get em.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
dylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the sheddylandercole is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-Santa Clara County
Name: Dylan
dylandercole's Tacoma Gallery
From my extensive crawdad fishing experience (I gre up near a river), you have to find where some fast moving water kind of stops abruptly, cuasing a semi-deep slow moving "pool". they like it because theres plenty of food moving fast to them but the current isnt bad at all.hen all you need is any kind of line (thicker is better), a big hook, and some kind of meat. I have always like using roast beef (little more expensive but they go ape-shit). stick it right in front of crevices and in front of rocks and just wait for them to come out and snag it. wait until they have both claws and mouth on it, and then just yank em up. good fishing!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
ok. here is what we did. make a trap. tacoeater is correct, it looked like minnow seine. imagine a semi rigid, upside down, square parachute. we used wire clothes hangers and a cheap minnow net. the net ended up as a 2 feet by 2 feet square. put a piece of string in the middle. we used some scrap of excess netting, and wrapped chicken livers into it and tied it to the center string. lower a bunch of these traps, give it an hour, and start making your rounds. we trapped hundreds. just lift the nets smooth and fast and your bring up the crayfish. keep in a aerated clean water, (change water daily) to let them crap out all the shit.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
Google Crawfish Traps from Louisiana to give you an idea how its done in Louisiana. There are traps for specific for farmed crawfish and some for river crawfish. Without a doubt, there is more crawfish consumed in Louisiana than anywhere in the world.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
I think therefore I'm a Democrat
Richman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichman21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Richman21's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use bacon, years an years ago, but I remember catching quite a few.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Crawfish traps along with some nasty, preferable spoiling, chicken (or meat or any kind really).

Let sit for a few days. Come back and retrieve your om nom nom.

You willy probably get some catfish and possibly turtles too. Just throw back whatever you don't plan on eating.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
oregon.country is on a distinguished road
Name: Mackenzie
oregon.country's Tacoma Gallery
I know here in Oregon we catch crawdads in our creeks and we just use a crawdad trap. We usually put cut up fish like herring you buy at a fishing supply store. Its important to have the insides of the herring exposed so the scent can spread out and attract the crawdads. This always works good for us.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
When I went to my friend's cabin on Thompson Lake, Montana, we'd go out every night and catch bucketloads of them. You have to go get them at night, because they hide in the daytime. My friends would usually do the aforementioned meat on a fishing line technique, but i found that they usually let go of the meat more than half of the time. So I just roll up my pants and sleeves and, with a flashlight shining not directly on them, grab them by hand.

My bucket always filled up faster than everybody else's.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery

cut up two hot dogs into pieces...put in trap, place trap in good crawdad habitat...wait 1-2 days...presto!

you eat them? lol i use them for bait to catch something that's actually tasty
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I got to a lake about 2 hours from me to go camping a couple times a summer and luckily there is a good amount of crawdads in it. We lure them in with some hot dogs on a string and just put a fishing net behind them. Then we just scoop them up with the net. Its real easy for us actually!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
make something like this...here found a pic for you. dont buy one...if you cant tie knots and bend coat hangers..you have bigger problems
Attached Thumbnails
I need tips for catching crawdads/crayfish!!!-cnt.jpg  
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post

you eat them? lol i use them for bait to catch something that's actually tasty
Crawfish are fucking delicious.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #16
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
x2 It may just be something us southerners do I love em. Shrimp E'toufee or fried is where its at. Or just boil it up like you would shrimp.

Do this, Go fish from the bank, as you catch fish, put em on a stringer and put the stringer down in the water near gravel or chunk rock where crawfish are. They will come out and start eating on you fish. every once in a while just slowly pull the stringer out of the water....crawfish won't let go. Then pull em off and drop em in a bucket. Or set out a trap in a small creek somewhere. I just use white bread and it works great.... I use a trap like the one posted above.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #17

The best method is just to have a very close friend since childhood whose grandfather happens to be a crawfish farmer by trade with like 30 acres of crawfish ponds. When you want some, just call him up.

This is the technique I've been using since I was 5 years old.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The best method is just to have a very close friend since childhood whose grandfather happens to be a crawfish farmer by trade with like 30 acres of crawfish ponds. When you want some, just call him up.

This is the technique I've been using since I was 5 years old.
this is very similar to my method...i have a buddy who's dad works for a large engineering firm who's owners are from Louisiana...they have contacts...when they order...the crawfish show up in jumbo coolers on a plane a couple days later

then i show up and help feast
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
Sheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant futureSheepdog has a brilliant future

Navy: Hospital Corpsman 8404 (HM3)
Name: Gary
Sheepdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
VERY true!!! They're the poor man's/red neck's lobster. Sooooo tasty!!!

Thanks for all the tips guys !!! I'll make a few of the traps you guys posted pics/ideas of and we'll see which ones I have the best luck with. Anybody have tips for where to look for them in lakes???