Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Busted our boat...opinions?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Busted our boat...opinions?

Ok, so we finally ended up busting our Bass Hunter on a rock the other day, but we believe it's fixable. I want some opinions on our fix idea. We plan to sand it down, caulk the cracks, patch it with a fiberglass repair kit, then put some rattle can bed liner on there. Has anyone used any of the bed liner like that? If so, do what kind and what do you recommend?

Here's the crack...

Here's what we kept before the crack...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
no need for caulk. some fiber glass and some resin will be the best route. sand it down first and make sure it is very clean. i'd say do one layer of glass/resin, sand it down, then do a second layer. bedliner should work well after the resin's completely hardened.

sorry about the boat, but it looks like you had a good day otherwise
Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oh and just a little tip, I don't know if you've done any fiberglass work before, but if not, the mistake people make the most is using too much resin. you get the strength from the glass, excess resin will just be extra weight and bulk. a set of latex gloves and a disposable squigi (sp) are a good way to take off the excess.

hope this helps
Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Your mom goes to college

Thanks for the input. I didn't think the caulk was needed either, but it's my girlfriend's brother's boat, and he wanted to use it...so whatever. Lol. You ever used any of the spray on bedliner? Like from Dupli-color or anything like that? We're wantin somethin that's gonna be tough, but relatively inexpensive. We're only gonna spray the back half of the boat, that way it won't weigh as much as if we sprayed the whole thing. And that's the main part of the boat that rubs on the rocks, considering there is a battery, motor, person, and gear back there.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

i can't say i've used it before. if your jsut looking for cheap solution to non-skid decking it should do the trick though. I have heard that the rattle-can bedliner tends to clog the spray nozzle very quickly, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have some mineral spirits around to soak the nozzle in and clear out any clogs. I think it may be a little more expensive, but the roll-on bedliner is always a safe way to go as well.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I have used spray on bed liner for a few things and have had no problems with it. It has held up very well. I have used it on my light bar, deer feeder barrel and a bumper for a jeep. I forgot the brand but I think it was Dupli-color and I got it at Oreillys. It was around $10 per can. I had no probs with it clogging. I even let a can sit for about 2 weeks and used it again.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Also when did Georgia get rainbow trout? Nice mess of fish.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
i can't say i've used it before. if your jsut looking for cheap solution to non-skid decking it should do the trick though. I have heard that the rattle-can bedliner tends to clog the spray nozzle very quickly, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have some mineral spirits around to soak the nozzle in and clear out any clogs. I think it may be a little more expensive, but the roll-on bedliner is always a safe way to go as well.
I kinda had a feeling it would clog up considering how thick it is. That's what I was curious about. We're lookin for relatively cheap...just enough to make the bottom of the boat a little more rugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I have used spray on bed liner for a few things and have had no problems with it. It has held up very well. I have used it on my light bar, deer feeder barrel and a bumper for a jeep. I forgot the brand but I think it was Dupli-color and I got it at Oreillys. It was around $10 per can. I had no probs with it clogging. I even let a can sit for about 2 weeks and used it again.
Dupli-color is what I saw online last night when I was looking. I'm off tomorrow so I"m going to look around at the part stores around here. I know when I used to work at Carquest we had the spray on stuff, but I never used it. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Also when did Georgia get rainbow trout? Nice mess of fish.
Thanks. Blue Ridge, Georgia was recently named the Trout Capital of Georgia.

http://blueridgeexperience.blogspot....f-georgia.html

I got this sucker about 2 minutes from my house on the Toccoa River

22 inches, about 6 3/4 lb.