Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

What a fishing rod for flinging ultra light jigs?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
What a fishing rod for flinging ultra light jigs?

I'm toying with the idea of ultra light line and set-up. The areas locally are over fished and light line to make the bait move naturally and not be seen is great.

Most rods don't build up enough energy or are parabolic enough with light lures and jigs.

What do you think about the Kencores?

They seem whippy enough to launch a light jig. I'm fishing 2-4 lb trout and bass. I hope to use a spinning reel with 2lb test and the pole rated for 2-6 lbs.

I won't try fly fishing with the weighted lines. I know they're equipped for launching light flies. Too much new stuff to learn. I'm an old dog.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have a zebco micro, and i love that rod for fishing crappie and trout. very light and nimble, can cast 6lb. line really smoothly, and its fun when a good fighting crappie(and some bream/perch) grabs ahold. plus, its easy to hook up on a back pack if you want to take it camping. i think i may get a very small/light ugly stick too.....those rods are great.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I heard good things about the Ugly stics too from a fellow fisherman.

I haven't heard anything about the Zebco, but will look out for it.

Thanks.

Glad you mentioned the crappie/bluegill. I forgot to mention they're my other target.

The bass I release. But the trout are stocked all the time here and the crappie/bluegill occur naturally and seem to be abuntant.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I heard good things about the Ugly stics too from a fellow fisherman.
+1 on Ugly sticks
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcBob View Post
+1 on Ugly sticks
thats about the only rods i'll fish with...with the exception of the zebco micro rod....but i am gonna get a small ugly stick for it too.....not necessary, cause the zebco rod is great for panfish/crappie and trout, but i love the ugly stik.....really strong, and you can bend the hell outta them. i think i have about 15 ugly stiks that are set up for catfish and bass.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I am very familiar with the ugly stick rod both light and heavy stick for deep sea fishing and its a solid rod all around that is what i use for bay fishing, and when i deep sea fish its all seeker rods, seeker makes light tackle rods also, but for what your fishing for and the price ugly stick indeed.