Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Boating & Fishing

Notices

Power Steering Cylinder Leaking

Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Power Steering Cylinder Leaking

Hi guys,

I have a 17ft bowrider with a Volvo penta 4.3. It has the power assisted steering and the cylinder is leaking steering fluid. I have yet to decide how I want to go about fixing it but I was curious if you knew if I could run it with out the power assisted steering. I want to use it this weekend. I could just take the belt off and not drive the pump. I don't think I could hurt anything but I want to run it by you guys. I can't imagine the steering being that hard anyways. I mean there was once a time that boats didn't have all the fancy stuff to break. Anyways here's the steering system I have.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If I had to guess, you could probably run without the pump. It might be a little hard to steer while moving but as long at you are careful you should be ok. Depending on how much it is leaking couldn't you just fill the power steering pump reservoir and keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't go emplty. GL
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
If I had to guess, you could probably run without the pump. It might be a little hard to steer while moving but as long at you are careful you should be ok. Depending on how much it is leaking couldn't you just fill the power steering pump reservoir and keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't go emplty. GL
Thanks for your help. It's a decent leak. Also I saw it smoke up a little because I think it dripped on the risers so I don't want to take a chance with that either.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ Take the belt off and putt around in the no wake zone to see if you can still steer before you get too far away from the ramp.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
There, that was killing my neck
Attached Thumbnails
Power Steering Cylinder Leaking-livesiqzum.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Here's the thing; if the cylinder seal is blown as you said, it will still leak when the rod moves back and forth. I would also suggest disconnecting the cylinder in the retracted position.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Here's the thing; if the cylinder seal is blown as you said, it will still leak when the rod moves back and forth. I would also suggest disconnecting the cylinder in the retracted position.
You still think it will leak without any pressure? That was a concern of mine. That's a good idea to disconnect it though. I'm going to have to do it anyway when I fix it.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
You still think it will leak without any pressure? That was a concern of mine. That's a good idea to disconnect it though. I'm going to have to do it anyway when I fix it.
You will create flow by moving the cylinder. Yes, it will still leak, just not as bad. Test this buy turning you wheel with the motor off.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
You will create flow by moving the cylinder. Yes, it will still leak, just not as bad. Test this buy turning you wheel with the motor off.
I just did that and it didn't seem to leak anymore.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #12

Marines:
That's good, but when you get out there and test the steering on the water keep an eye on it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #13

As a fellow boater you'll have to let me know if you can actually run the boat w/o power steering. So if this ever happens to me I'll know. THANKS
Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
As a fellow boater you'll have to let me know if you can actually run the boat w/o power steering. So if this ever happens to me I'll know. THANKS
I don't have a doubt it can't be run my concern is further damage. I think I'll just order the part online and fix it before I potentially push my luck. I can make it a beach weekend if my parents want to go.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #15

^ Better to be safe than sorry, its not worth causing more problems.