1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a boat

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by sAm I aM, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Aug 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    sAm I aM

sAm I aM [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x2
    Flowmaster .50 ries xhaust, K&N Filter
    I'm in the market for buying a ski boat sometime here in the next 6 months and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any advice on what type of boat to get and when the best time to buy would be? I'm willing to spend about 20k on a nice boat but don't want to go overboard on things I won't need so if I can get one for my needs cheaper that would be great. Mainly taking the kids and lady out and doing some skiing, kneeboarding, and pulling a tube.

2. Aug 24, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Are you buying new or used? If new look for boat shows in the area. We have one in Atlanta every year in the winter. Great place to see, touch, & climb on board all different boats. This way you can see the different brands & find the ones you like. Also they usually discount the boats more at the boat show.

http://www.boatshows.com/

http://www.boatshows.com/calendar.aspx

Good info for new boat owners:
    http://www.discoverboating.com/beginner/default.aspx

Another place to look is boat trader.com for new & used boats.

Good luck,
    Sean

3. Aug 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Dont skimp on the power. Everything is pretty cheap to upgrade to later, except a power head.

4. Aug 24, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Also where are you planning on keeping your boat?

Does your neighborhood have covenants against keeping it outside. Mine does. If you plan on keeping outside in the yard, You MUST GET a COVER. Keeps your boat nice & new.

I keep my 18' bass boat in my garage. My garage is 19' & I have to angle my boat. It takes up the whole garage. I did store it by the lake at a storage facility. Covered boat slip was $90 a month. At a marina forget it. Around my area at the marina in the water was $300 a month.:eek:

You will love owning a boat! In the summer I use mine for playing at the lake with a towable (too hot to fish). Good time to buy equipment for your fun is in the fall.Bass Pro or Cabelas have there stuff on sale. I picked up some new life vests(O'Brien) at bass pro for $29 normally $50.
    You may also get good deals on skis,knee boards on ebay.
    I would buy your accessories from bass pro, cabelas, boaters world. Or somewhere on the web. It will be much cheaper than the dealer.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Don't skimp on HP. At least a 150HP. Anything less and you won't be happy. I have a 175HP outboard motor. Ski boats are going to be inboard motors.

6. Aug 24, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Inboard Outdrive is the way to go for a boat to tow with. Safer and better wake response.
    Normal pull speeds on skis (about the hardest tow) can be any where from like 24 to 35 knots- You want enough power to get to that without any hesitation.

Good luck shopping!!

Products Discussed in

To Top