Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Boating & Fishing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/)
-   -   About to buy this boat**Tips/Suggestions** (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/255985-about-buy-boat-tips-suggestions.html)

ChamYota 01-02-2013 07:01 AM

About to buy this boat**Tips/Suggestions**
 
So im going to get this boat for this summer when i go to the lake with my family, it will be one of 2 boats, my dad's buying a brand new one so he decided he'd get me one for me and my brothers.

-It will be a project boat so i can learn some things about boats and such-

I began the search for boats in the range of 1500-3000$ when i came upon this:

http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/3512410999.html


The price is pretty good, the age of the boat is what im worried about

The year of the motor is whats making me think twice, this boat supposedly is garage-kept so it should be good structurally anyway

The only thing i plan on doing is to let him start it up, and do a compression test to make sure all the cylinder heads have a pretty even reading.

If that checks out, my dad's gonna bring it home

Pics below:

Any sorta hints/tips/ would be appreciated

http://images.craigslist.org/thumb/3...0c2d31170c.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/thumb/3...6c882b112d.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/thumb/3...588d541bba.jpg

jtav2002 01-02-2013 07:11 AM

Seems like a good deal. Those Force motors seem to be hit or miss though. I've seen some people have no real issues while I've seen alot that haven't held up great. That would be my only reservation. My uncle had a 1997 Force 120 and that thing shit the bed way earlier than it should have.

ntilehman 01-02-2013 07:19 AM

Not to be a downer. Boats are money pits. Big ones. If the coin is there i say go for it though. it would be a cool project for your brothers and you to work on.

cc350 01-02-2013 07:31 AM

Price is good. Motor and trailer will bring more than asking price. Yes boats are holes in the water you throw money into.. That said, interior work could be costly plan 2k (seats ,sides carpet, probably new floor and stringers. You'll find out quickly the bad points of owning a small boat, ride sucks and room is worst. 20' foot and up will be a good starter. Owned and own many boats.

ChamYota 01-02-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtav2002 (Post 6210596)
Seems like a good deal. Those Force motors seem to be hit or miss though. I've seen some people have no real issues while I've seen alot that haven't held up great. That would be my only reservation. My uncle had a 1997 Force 120 and that thing shit the bed way earlier than it should have.

Really now? Well hopefully when i ask him to start it up so i can hear it it'll be the good sound and not the pinging sound of a piston.

Hopefully this thing checks out, im driving 2 hours to look at it today or this week sometime


Quote:

Originally Posted by ntilehman (Post 6210615)
Not to be a downer. Boats are money pits. Big ones. If the coin is there i say go for it though. it would be a cool project for your brothers and you to work on.

:o im gonna go for it, Im coming from a 12' jon boat with just a trolling motor so this is a big step.

the project portion is what makes this appealing to me, that and the price

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc350 (Post 6210659)
Price is good. Motor and trailer will bring more than asking price. Yes boats are holes in the water you throw money into.. That said, interior work could be costly plan 2k (seats ,sides carpet, probably new floor and stringers. You'll find out quickly the bad points of owning a small boat, ride sucks and room is worst. 20' foot and up will be a good starter. Owned and own many boats.

:o It cant be worst than my smooth riding 12' jon boat i have now with just a trolling, I dont have that sorta money laid aside for the "professional touch" just enough to make it good enough to sit in and such.


Thanks everyone for the inputs thus far

Zombie Runner 01-02-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntilehman (Post 6210615)
Not to be a downer. Boats are money pits. Big ones. If the coin is there i say go for it though. it would be a cool project for your brothers and you to work on.

you know what boat stands for?

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Good luck man! I Like boats when other people own them :D

ChamYota 01-02-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Runner (Post 6210778)
you know what boat stands for?

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Good luck man! I Like boats when other people own them :D

:eek:

I like boats too! i just want to own one now :D

tigerfan00 01-02-2013 08:47 AM

The only boat I like owning is my 12ft Jon boat with just the trolling motor...I had to work on my brothers boat which was essentially the same size as the one you want...every time I turned around we were fixing stuff...

tigerfan00 01-02-2013 08:48 AM

BUT if dad was paying, I'd absolutely go thru the hassle of trying to fix up a boat...

BORNWILDGUY 01-02-2013 09:01 AM

The two happiest days of a boat owner is the day he buys it then the second is the day he sells it.

Stubbs95tacoma 01-02-2013 09:03 AM

If your getting a money pit just buy a jeep

ChamYota 01-02-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerfan00 (Post 6210981)
The only boat I like owning is my 12ft Jon boat with just the trolling motor...I had to work on my brothers boat which was essentially the same size as the one you want...every time I turned around we were fixing stuff...

BUT if dad was paying, I'd absolutely go thru the hassle of trying to fix up a boat...

Precisely my plan, and if it doesnt work out, i can flip it for more than what i paid for. I think im getting a good deal because the interior is no bueno but like i said, not going for showroom stuff here. Just enough to get the job done

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY (Post 6211064)
The two happiest days of a boat owner is the day he buys it then the second is the day he sells it.

:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma (Post 6211076)
If your getting a money pit just buy a jeep

I'd rather die :cool:

jtav2002 01-02-2013 09:20 AM

I'll add that while yes boats are money pits most hobbies are going to cost ya money. Just look at some of the trucks here. I had always mooched off of other peoples boats for fishing but this coming summer will be the 4th summer I've had my 18' center console but I don't regret getting it at all even between all the gas, the carb rebuild it needed when I first got it, new trailer, slip rental.

ChamYota 01-02-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtav2002 (Post 6211154)
I'll add that while yes boats are money pits most hobbies are going to cost ya money. Just look at some of the trucks here. I had always mooched off of other peoples boats for fishing but this coming summer will be the 4th summer I've had my 18' center console but I don't regret getting it at all even between all the gas, the carb rebuild it needed when I first got it, new trailer, slip rental.

I hope this one will be equally as reliable as your boat. :o

Crusher 2 01-02-2013 09:30 AM

We had a Bayliner Capri just a couple of years older.... If that has been sitting outside check the floor carefully for any soft spots. The floor is basically a sheet of plywood covered in fiberglass. If it is soft...water has penetrated the fiberglass and rotted the wood. Expensive/time consuming repair. Also noted this boat is in Myrtle beach... if this motor has been used in Salt / Brackish water check the cooling system closely. It should have been flushed out after each use. Make sure you get the attachement to hook up a graden hose to flush... If he doesn't have one you can assume it's never been flushed.

Good Luck

jtav2002 01-02-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChamYota (Post 6211169)
I hope this one will be equally as reliable as your boat. :o

Haha. I will say after that initial carb rebuild the motor has been flawless so far the subsequent 2 summers. Fired right up pretty easily in the spring after being stored for winter. Its a 2001 Yamaha. I'm hoping I can get a lot of life out of it still because I can't see spending $10k plus to repower a boat I only paid half that for lol.

Good luck with it if you pick it up. didn't mean to be doom and gloom on the motor I'm sure their are tons of them out there with no issues.

tigerfan00 01-02-2013 09:34 AM

the motor is the part that should be all doom and gloom and worried about...that shit is expensive to replace if it's shot

ChamYota 01-02-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusher 2 (Post 6211206)
We had a Bayliner Capri just a couple of years older.... If that has been sitting outside check the floor carefully for any soft spots. The floor is basically a sheet of plywood covered in fiberglass. If it is soft...water has penetrated the fiberglass and rotted the wood. Expensive/time consuming repair. Also noted this boat is in Myrtle beach... if this motor has been used in Salt / Brackish water check the cooling system closely. It should have been flushed out after each use. Make sure you get the attachement to hook up a graden hose to flush... If he doesn't have one you can assume it's never been flushed.

Good Luck

I never thought about that, I appreciate the input, If it hasnt been flushed, and he's been using it for the last 3 summers then i know it hasnt been taken care of well and i'll prob walk away from it, dont want to jump on the first boat i see.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jtav2002 (Post 6211208)
Haha. I will say after that initial carb rebuild the motor has been flawless so far the subsequent 2 summers. Fired right up pretty easily in the spring after being stored for winter. Its a 2001 Yamaha. I'm hoping I can get a lot of life out of it still because I can't see spending $10k plus to repower a boat I only paid half that for lol.

Good luck with it if you pick it up. didn't mean to be doom and gloom on the motor I'm sure their are tons of them out there with no issues.


:laugh: not at all man, everyone is just being honest and i respect that, I'll do

the compression test,
visually assess the damage
check the floors
ask if it's been flushed,
and whatever else anyone else has to input.

chris4x4 01-02-2013 09:35 AM

my 1997 Bayliner Capri with the 120 horse force engine was incredibly reliable. The only money I have to put into it other than basic maintenance what's a couple 3 dollar part for the top. It ran beautifully all years I had it.

tigerfan00 01-02-2013 09:47 AM

And just remember Cam...there ARE good deals out there, but use your instincts and wait for the right boat


the first one aint always the right one :)



And the closer you get to summer...the more expensive the good ones will be


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.