Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Boating & Fishing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/)
-   -   Calling All Ice Fishermen (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/63831-calling-all-ice-fishermen.html)

Terrier 12-05-2009 02:36 PM

Calling All Ice Fishermen

Who ice fishes out there? Just went today for the first time of the season here in Eastern Idaho. Got skunked. The place where I fished has trout and yellow perch. I am hoping that next week the lake around here that has kokanee will be frozen. There are also trout and perch there.

Anyways, I'm interested in knowing what you ice fish for in your neck of the woods.

BLKTRD6SP 12-05-2009 02:42 PM

I think this year will be my first year of ice fishing. Will be going for some pike, walleye and lake trout hopefully.
I don't like eating fish but I like catching them! :D

Griztaco 12-05-2009 02:46 PM

I go occasionally for trout, but usually do it to treat cabin fever.

Terrier 12-05-2009 02:59 PM

Last year was my first year of ice fishing and I am now hooked. I sure would like to get some walleye through the ice. The lake I mentioned above with the kokanee also has walleye but they are difficult to find. I heard that they got in there unplanned and they are starting to take hold. There is naother lake that is over 100 miles away that has walleye around here. Walleye are sooo good eating.

Terrier 12-05-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griztaco (Post 1183674)
I go occasionally for trout, but usually do it to treat cabin fever.

I see you are also in Idaho; what part?

adktacoma 12-05-2009 03:04 PM

it'll be a few more weeks before first ice here. we fish landlocked salmon, lake trout and pike around here, wish we had some walleye here but the salmon are pretty tasty.

Terrier 12-05-2009 04:56 PM

adktacoma, is there a specific name for your landlocked salmon? That is what our kokanee are here is landlocked salmon; your right they are very tasty.

Yodaforce 12-05-2009 05:00 PM

Calling them what? Nuts?

Nah, just kidding. Never been far enough north to actaully see a frozen body of water, more or less fish in it! I wouldn't know how. Fishing rods are neat though. Fit in the rear window nicely.

Terrier 12-05-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodaforce (Post 1184032)
... Fishing rods are neat though. Fit in the rear window nicely.

Yeah, right between the shotgun and the rifle.:D

Griztaco 12-05-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier (Post 1183715)
I see you are also in Idaho; what part?

Up north in Moscow/Pullman. Theres only a couple of small reservoirs to fish here. I presume you are down in Idaho Falls area??

adktacoma 12-05-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

adktacoma, is there a specific name for your landlocked salmon? That is what our kokanee are here is landlocked salmon; your right they are very tasty.

our landlocks are atlantics, not sure what kokonee are. and ya they taste great and are wicked fun to catch,we troll'em in the spring and fall,and they like to come outta the water alot, hard to gettem in the boat.

adktacoma 12-05-2009 05:34 PM

for you guys that never ice fished before, it's a blast. drinkin and fishin, and if the fish don't bite we'll play with our trucks on the frozen lake. I can't wait

Afwrestler1986 12-05-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adktacoma (Post 1184105)
our landlocks are atlantics, not sure what kokonee are. and ya they taste great and are wicked fun to catch,we troll'em in the spring and fall,and they like to come outta the water alot, hard to gettem in the boat.

Where are you up here? I am looking for an ice fishing bud. Just bought a cheap sled so I can get out on the lakes a bit.

adktacoma 12-05-2009 05:42 PM

i live in pottersville, it's exit 26 on i-87, come on up,we fish schroon lake, lake goerge and lake champlain, it's been pretty warm, so the big lakes probably won't freeze good till the first of the year

Afwrestler1986 12-05-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adktacoma (Post 1184149)
i live in pottersville, it's exit 26 on i-87, come on up,we fish schroon lake, lake goerge and lake champlain, it's been pretty warm, so the big lakes probably won't freeze good till the first of the year

Yeah, not quite cool enough yet. I may take you up on that offer. Never fished that far up.

TroutBum 12-05-2009 06:45 PM

Hopefully we'll have ice in a few more weeks. A bluegill / perch dinner sounds pretty good right now. :) Maybe a few walleyes thrown in... Tasty!

Mike

Afwrestler1986 12-05-2009 06:59 PM

I love me some pike. walleye is great too. Yellow perch. sooo excited.

Terrier 12-05-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griztaco (Post 1184060)
Up north in Moscow/Pullman. Theres only a couple of small reservoirs to fish here. I presume you are down in Idaho Falls area??

Yep.

adktacoma 12-05-2009 07:25 PM

i realy like to fish on lake champlain,you can rent a shanty and the guy will set you up with lunch and gear, byob, we catch rainbow smelt by the hundreds.it's a cool scene with hundreds of shantys in the bay of port henry,pretty much a town out on the ice.and smelt are good eatin

Blumpkinson 12-05-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adktacoma (Post 1184560)
i realy like to fish on lake champlain,you can rent a shanty and the guy will set you up with lunch and gear, byob, we catch rainbow smelt by the hundreds.it's a cool scene with hundreds of shantys in the bay of port henry,pretty much a town out on the ice.and smelt are good eatin

I go to champlain once a year in april, it's an amazing lake, so many smallies and huge pike.