1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boat advice

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by jtav2002, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 [OP] Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    So, I've been around boats and fishing all my life, but I've finally decided to get a boat of my own, which was part of my decision to get rid of my previous car for the Taco.

I'm looking for a boat to use in the inner bays of southern Delaware for fishing and crabbing. On Craigslist I found a 1997 boat with 1997 motor that seems like it could be a good fit. It's an aluminum boat, 17 foot Starcraft, dual console. with a 75hp Merc. Guys is asking $4725 for it. Seem like a good deal. I did email him for some pics. Plan on giving him a call to ask some further info. Sent it to my uncle to get his input on it. What kind of questions should I ask? Naturally, the boat itself looks in great condition I'm not worried about that I just want to make sure the motor was well maintained and runs well, especially since it's been used in saltwater.

Ideally, I'd love to pick up a nice 18' to 19' center console, but hard to find something that's not a total piece of crap for a good price. Since the Taco is paid off, I could swing buying a new boat, however I just can't see putting down 15-20k on a boat having never owned one myself before. Rather get a nice starter setup.

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    alex1988

alex1988 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2wd>4wd.... Its all about the cup holders
    Thats not a bad price, i think you can get a better deal though. If I were you I would a get a 17 foot boston whaler, probably one from the seventies, they are indestructable. I would power it with yamaha.

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'd love to find a good deal on one of those older 17' Boston Whaler Montauks. A relative of mine picked one up for like 4 grand from someone who just wanted to get rid of it due to a death in the family. Had a mid 90's Yamaha 90 on it. I would have picked that up in a heartbeat had I seen it.

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    I'm in the same boat you are (or wish you were). I too am looking for a nice aluminum boat under 5K for fishing.

subscribed.

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Yea Yamaha is the way to go on saltwater. But sounds like an ok price.

6. Mar 27, 2010 at 4:41 AM
    streetdriven

streetdriven Tampa OG

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Tampa Bay
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    2007 Speedway Blue double cab. Trd skid,6k hids,thule racks,grill,N-fab,fj wheels 285/75/16's
    See I wouldnt touch anything with a merc... My best friend is a marine mechanic and 90% of his jobs are fixing those pieces of shits. If your going for an outboard go with Yamaha they really do run forever.

Now if you really think about it there are so many broke people out there take your time keep looking on craiglist or just when your driving around. You can find a nice boat for around 5k-10K but it might take sometime.

Just dont go out with the attitude of having the I WANTS..... take the person down your the one with the cash :D

7. Mar 27, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    rc51ny

rc51ny Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why not put a posting on craigslist-"WTB"? Might bring you exactly what you want. I'm more into motorcycles than boats, but it's the same---some people have things that they never really think about selling until they see that someone wants to buy one. Just a thought

8. Mar 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Good point.

And don't worry, I don't get cases of the "I WANTS." I'm an accountant, so I'm a cheapass by nature lol. So I typically don't go out and spend money unless I really really want it and don't make impulse purchases.

That being said, appears the guy has an offer on the table anyways, so my search will continue. I would like to find something early summer, but I'm in no hurry. And if worse comes to worse I'll just pony up more money and get something a lot newer/new.

My uncle has a really nice 19' center console, it's a 1998 I believe and for all intent and purposes is like new. Needs a new motor though(had a shit Force 120 that took a dump). He was contemplating just getting rid of it and getting a small aluminum boat. I'd love to buy the boat off him for cheap and throw a nice new Yamaha or E-Tec 115 on there.:D

EDIT: Also got a little excited to find a 2006 17' Triumph center console with a 60 horse Yamaha for like $8,500, typically around $20k new from what I've seen. Of course a sale is pending on it when I inquired on it. I've always liked those Triumphs.

9. Mar 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Check boat trader.com

Also check with the banks for a repo. You may find a gem for a super bargain.

Also look for boat auctions in your area.

http://www.northeastboatsales.com/

10. Mar 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
  11. Mar 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    jtav2002