1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Busted our boat...opinions?

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by dwalden2, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Ok, so we finally ended up busting our Bass Hunter on a rock the other day, but we believe it's fixable. I want some opinions on our fix idea. We plan to sand it down, caulk the cracks, patch it with a fiberglass repair kit, then put some rattle can bed liner on there. Has anyone used any of the bed liner like that? If so, do what kind and what do you recommend?

Here's the crack...

[​IMG]

Here's what we kept before the crack...

[​IMG]

2. May 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
  3. May 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    no need for caulk. some fiber glass and some resin will be the best route. sand it down first and make sure it is very clean. i'd say do one layer of glass/resin, sand it down, then do a second layer. bedliner should work well after the resin's completely hardened.

sorry about the boat, but it looks like you had a good day otherwise :)

4. May 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    oh and just a little tip, I don't know if you've done any fiberglass work before, but if not, the mistake people make the most is using too much resin. you get the strength from the glass, excess resin will just be extra weight and bulk. a set of latex gloves and a disposable squigi (sp) are a good way to take off the excess.

hope this helps

5. May 24, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    Thanks for the input. I didn't think the caulk was needed either, but it's my girlfriend's brother's boat, and he wanted to use it...so whatever. Lol. You ever used any of the spray on bedliner? Like from Dupli-color or anything like that? We're wantin somethin that's gonna be tough, but relatively inexpensive. We're only gonna spray the back half of the boat, that way it won't weigh as much as if we sprayed the whole thing. And that's the main part of the boat that rubs on the rocks, considering there is a battery, motor, person, and gear back there.

6. May 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i can't say i've used it before. if your jsut looking for cheap solution to non-skid decking it should do the trick though. I have heard that the rattle-can bedliner tends to clog the spray nozzle very quickly, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have some mineral spirits around to soak the nozzle in and clear out any clogs. I think it may be a little more expensive, but the roll-on bedliner is always a safe way to go as well.

7. May 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have used spray on bed liner for a few things and have had no problems with it. It has held up very well. I have used it on my light bar, deer feeder barrel and a bumper for a jeep. I forgot the brand but I think it was Dupli-color and I got it at Oreillys. It was around $10 per can. I had no probs with it clogging. I even let a can sit for about 2 weeks and used it again.

8. May 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Also when did Georgia get rainbow trout? Nice mess of fish.

9. May 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 [OP] HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    I kinda had a feeling it would clog up considering how thick it is. That's what I was curious about. We're lookin for relatively cheap...just enough to make the bottom of the boat a little more rugged.

Dupli-color is what I saw online last night when I was looking. I'm off tomorrow so I"m going to look around at the part stores around here. I know when I used to work at Carquest we had the spray on stuff, but I never used it. Thanks for the info.

Thanks. Blue Ridge, Georgia was recently named the Trout Capital of Georgia.

http://blueridgeexperience.blogspot.com/2010/03/blue-ridge-is-trout-capital-of-georgia.html

I got this sucker about 2 minutes from my house on the Toccoa River
    [​IMG]
    22 inches, about 6 3/4 lb.

Products Discussed in

To Top